2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Eile

Ollie Turner is great when your own team is playing, you feel like you could be all Ireland champions in waiting after listening to him commentate on a match that Galway win!  ;D

ONeill

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 28, 2018, 09:47:28 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker
But until you see your own county (a county you know the best) humbled you are speaking as a person blinded by old values and old rules.

Galway have had enough "humbling" from far worse than the current Dublin team, that cheque in the the post anyway, will be cashed soon enough in this Division One campaign.

I was in Tuam so I didn't hear the GBFM commentary but it's always amusing to hear people from other counties giving out about the GBFM commentary team's (hilariously OTT at times) biases, it's local radio though, what are you going to do?

What way did Tyrone play? Any discernible difference from previous years in terms of a system?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omagh_gael

Redhand88 had this to say over on the Tyrone thread, O'Neill:

You can tell the system has radically radically changed. No more are we flooding behind the ball every time we are turned over. No more are we carrying the ball to the full forward line. The kick pass to a corner forward was happening all day. It just wasn't a day for it. First day of the new system, it's nothing to panic about.

I caught the last 25 minutes of the Kerry v Donegal. It struck me how much bigger both teams are than ourselves in the forward line. Early doors yet but I'd stick a tenner in Donegal for Ulster this year.

mouview

But until you see your own county (a county you know the best) humbled you are speaking as a person blinded by old values and old rules.

Galway have had enough "humbling" from far worse than the current Dublin team, that cheque in the the post anyway, will be cashed soon enough in this Division One campaign.

I was in Tuam so I didn't hear the GBFM commentary but it's always amusing to hear people from other counties giving out about the GBFM commentary team's (hilariously OTT at times) biases, it's local radio though, what are you going to do?

Think it was more specific descriptive language that was used at a couple of stages in the first half. Even though I had the radio with me I didn't hear exactly what was said; however, OTT had to apologise of sorts for some of the terminology used before the start of the second half.

Longer analysis later; game was won after 15 minutes as Tyrone, an absolutely dog-useless pig of a side, are not built to retrieve leads as their forwards are even worse than Mayos at trying to score from play. Apologies to Tyrone fans but they're utterly drek to watch. Not that Galway are much better; mgmt is still tactically inept and far too loyal to sub-par performers.
Laters.

trileacman

Quote from: mouview on January 28, 2018, 10:15:25 PM

Think it was more specific descriptive language that was used at a couple of stages in the first half. Even though I had the radio with me I didn't hear exactly what was said; however, OTT had to apologise of sorts for some of the terminology used before the start of the second half.

Longer analysis later; game was won after 15 minutes as Tyrone, an absolutely dog-useless pig of a side, are not built to retrieve leads as their forwards are even worse than Mayos at trying to score from play. Apologies to Tyrone fans but they're utterly drek to watch. Not that Galway are much better; mgmt is still tactically inept and far too loyal to sub-par performers.
Laters.

Said the Galway player were being raped and molested by Tyrone.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Whishtup

Quote from: omagh_gael on January 28, 2018, 10:13:45 PM

You can tell the system has radically radically changed. No more are we flooding behind the ball every time we are turned over. No more are we carrying the ball to the full forward line. The kick pass to a corner forward was happening all day. It just wasn't a day for it. First day of the new system, it's nothing to panic about.

I caught the last 25 minutes of the Kerry v Donegal. It struck me how much bigger both teams are than ourselves in the forward line. Early doors yet but I'd stick a tenner in Donegal for Ulster this year.

I couldn't see much difference.  I saw players hanging out in the corner forward position not being used, instead the offload to the man running through the middle was deployed to no avail. In the second half when the corner forwards got the ball, they had no support and hit hopefull balls across the square. Couldn't shoot because of the wind.  Mattie Donnelly heavy legged. Ronan O'Neill looks overweight. Peter Harte looked as though he got himself black carded in frustration.  Even if we beat the Dubs next week, I wouldn't expect much this year.  You have to put the ball over the bar. 

reddgnhand

Quote from: Whishtup on January 28, 2018, 10:45:47 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on January 28, 2018, 10:13:45 PM

I couldn't see much difference.  I saw players hanging out in the corner forward position not being used, instead the offload to the man running through the middle was deployed to no avail. In the second half when the corner forwards got the ball, they had no support and hit hopefull balls across the square. Couldn't shoot because of the wind.  Mattie Donnelly heavy legged. Ronan O'Neill looks overweight. Peter Harte looked as though he got himself black carded in frustration.  Even if we beat the Dubs next week, I wouldn't expect much this year.  You have to put the ball over the bar.

Redhand88 must have been watching a different game from the one I was at. Tyrone's kick passing is awful. No forward could impress with their style of play. Some of the ball that was played into to Bradley was unbelievable at times but sure stick with the same shite Mickey.

Main Street

Quote from: criostlinn on January 28, 2018, 08:06:53 PM
Quote from: Main Street on January 28, 2018, 05:12:19 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 28, 2018, 04:14:42 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 28, 2018, 03:52:17 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 28, 2018, 03:38:35 PM
Mayo 0-13 Monaghan 0-12 full time.

A bit of a smash and grab at the end. We'll take it!  :)

For sure. From my vantage point on the radio, it seems Caff had a good game. I hope he keeps it up. Regan and Douglas will also give Rochford food for thought after their scoring rate. Andy must be some boy. Monaghan, not for the first time lost the head it seems. Good start to the year. Kerry (who keep referring to last August's loss to Mayo as the worst thing that ever happened) up next. Revenge will surely be on their minds.
Lost their heads? You mean to include Ryan Wylie in that assessment, who picked up a 2nd yellow after Aiden O'Shea collapsed to the turf? A wise person would want to see that incident before making comment. 
The crucial difference according to the objective radio commentary sponsored by Sam's Diner, was the ref not seeing a foul in the last Monaghan attack and instead awarded a free out for a handled ball on the ground,  that led to Mayo scoring  a fine winner instead of Monaghan.

::)  So great wise one. Did you see the incident in question. Or did you see any of the numerous incidents when Aidan O'Shea was taken out of it of the ball. The thing is Monaghan could have won this but yet again were let down by indiscipline
I was replying to someone who also listened to a radio commentary and I was replying to a specific red card incident in the game.
The indiscipline and alleged indiscipline of Monaghan in reference to the dismissals happened so late that it could hardly have impacted the result so much to be regarded as a defining factor. The ref decided not to award a free to Monaghan in the final attack and Mayo quickly scored the winning point from the sideline.

Main Street

Was the Donegal 3rd goal legal? The forward used his hand to guide the loose ball past the goalie then slapped it into the net?

Crete Boom

Quote from: mouview on January 28, 2018, 10:15:25 PM

Laters.

Here is me imaging Mayo's starting full forward line scored 4-27 from play in 5 championship matches in Croker park last season!!

Actually I had a look at Mayo's starting forwards & sub forwards that came on (no midfielders or half backs), and they averaged 12 points from play per game in the championship last year!!

Galway starting forwards & sub forwards that came on (again no midfielders or half backs) and they average 8 points from play in the championship last year!!

So Tyrone forwards must be on the up if they are only slightly worse than Mayo's forwards! ;)

J70

Quote from: Main Street on January 28, 2018, 11:27:34 PM
Was the Donegal 3rd goal legal? The forward used his hand to guide the loose ball past the goalie then slapped it into the net?

Why would it be?

He never had possession.

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on January 29, 2018, 12:44:51 AM

Why would it be?
He never had possession.
There is nothing about possession in the rules about scoring, why would I consider possession being part of the criteria?  The scorer deflected the ball into space in order to create a better scoring chance with a second strike. I had not seen that before, had you? If it's kosher then okay. It does open up more than one way to fist the ball into the net. I had assumed the scorer had to strike the ball in flight and no messing about, deflecting it to better advantage for a second strike.

J70

Quote from: Main Street on January 29, 2018, 01:13:20 AM
Quote from: J70 on January 29, 2018, 12:44:51 AM

Why would it be?
He never had possession.
There is nothing about possession in the rules about scoring, why would I consider possession being part of the criteria?  The scorer deflected the ball into space in order to create a better scoring chance with a second strike. I had not seen that before, had you? If it's kosher then okay. It does open up more than one way to fist the ball into the net. I had assumed the scorer had to strike the ball in flight and no messing about, deflecting it to better advantage for a second strike.

He never had control of the ball. The ball was loose, same as if had been passed across by a team mate. I've seen similar a few times. And what is the difference between that and gathering a ball when it bounces after you fail to catch it cleanly? The only thing forbidden is hand passing to yourself or into the net.

To my knowledge anyway...

seafoid

It's only when the league starts that you realise what you were missing. September is such a long time ago.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

TheGreatest

Always nice to beat Kildare and remind them of their place, especially when they cry to the media afterwards.