Previous topic - Next topic

Avondhu star

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 23, 2018, 12:22:59 AM
Quote from: Avondhu star on January 22, 2018, 08:22:21 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 22, 2018, 02:02:41 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on January 22, 2018, 10:21:02 AM
Quote from: twohands!!! on January 20, 2018, 03:47:31 PM
Quote from: Avondhu star on January 20, 2018, 12:44:18 AM

A lot of good fixtures there. Hopefully no weather disruptions. It would be nice if players being interviewed after could make an effort to speak their native language

Native language generally refers to the language someone has been exposed to from birth. For the overwhelming majority of people in Ireland, this is English.
Do you really think that the majority of GAA supporters would agree with that English is their native language?
In my experience, they certainly do.
The majority have a sentimental attachment to the Irish language and generally wish they had a better understanding of it but wouldn't take any positive steps, such as attending Irish language classes, improve their knowledge of the language.
I'd say your experience is very limited so.
;D ;D ;D
Something tells me thatyou had a very sheltered upbringing, well removed from the realities of everyday strife and life.
Would I be correct in saying you went to a Gaelscoil or, worse still, a CB gulag institution?
Tell you what, if even one individual, on two legs or four, I'm not fussy, agrees with you, I'll rest my case.

BTW, I've nothing against the Gaelic language, once the national language of our ancestors, I'll rest my case.
Oh and while I am at it, I both speak and write Irish fluently.

Pity you have to trot out the old Christian Brothers cliché. You know f all-out them
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

tonto1888

Quote from: Avondhu star on January 24, 2018, 12:23:56 PM

A lot of good fixtures there. Hopefully no weather disruptions. It would be nice if players being interviewed after could make an effort to speak their native language

Native language generally refers to the language someone has been exposed to from birth. For the overwhelming majority of people in Ireland, this is English.
Do you really think that the majority of GAA supporters would agree with that English is their native language?
The majority have a sentimental attachment to the Irish language and generally wish they had a better understanding of it but wouldn't take any positive steps, such as attending Irish language classes, improve their knowledge of the language.
;D ;D ;D
Something tells me thatyou had a very sheltered upbringing, well removed from the realities of everyday strife and life.
Would I be correct in saying you went to a Gaelscoil or, worse still, a CB gulag institution?
Tell you what, if even one individual, on two legs or four, I'm not fussy, agrees with you, I'll rest my case.

BTW, I've nothing against the Gaelic language, once the national language of our ancestors, I'll rest my case.

Pity you have to trot out the old Christian Brothers cliché. You know f all-out them

youre awful fond of making assumptions abut people

seafoid

I think Kildare and Galway might stay up . They both have a bit of momentum and some good younger players. I wouldn't be surprised if 2 Ulster teams were relegated. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Monaghan and Donegal presumably?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on January 24, 2018, 04:18:54 PM
Yes. But Tyrone were filleted last year too. Any time Kilkenny delivered such a lesson to Galway the year after was not good 

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on January 24, 2018, 04:57:28 PM
Yes. But Tyrone were filleted last year too. Any time Kilkenny delivered such a lesson to Galway the year after was not good
As filleted as Dublin were after their championship defeats to Kerry and Tyrone in 2008,2009. Tyrone are a mainly young side that should only improve on the progress already made. Currently an established Div one team that regularly reach the last 4 of the championship something i'm sure a young Galway side would like to be in the years ahead.

Sooner or later Monaghan are going to lose their Div one status they have been punching above their weight under a top manager. Donegal are in transition and i'm not convinced Declan Bonner is the right manager to bring them through that transition.

J70

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 24, 2018, 05:29:08 PM
As filleted as Dublin were after their championship defeats to Kerry and Tyrone in 2008,2009. Tyrone are a mainly young side that should only improve on the progress already made. Currently an established Div one team that regularly reach the last 4 of the championship something i'm sure a young Galway side would like to be in the years ahead.

Sooner or later Monaghan are going to lose their Div one status they have been punching above their weight under a top manager. Donegal are in transition and i'm not convinced Declan Bonner is the right manager to bring them through that transition.

Time will tell on Bonner. He's done quite well with a good chunk of these players underage. And if Mullins builds on his early promise at midfield, we might even have the formidable duo of Murphy and McBrearty up front full time. Assuming Bonner gets away from the 14 man defense shite. Regardless, for me anyway, this year is just about making some progress and being competitive in Ulster. Super 8s would be an outstanding outcome, but I think we'd need to make the Ulster Final to have any chance of getting there. A couple of wins in Division 1 would be nice too, wherever we finish.

southtyronegael

tyrone have been relegated twice in last 7 years. 2011 and 2015. dont be surprised if it happens again this year.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 24, 2018, 08:34:39 PM
tyrone have been relegated twice in last 7 years. 2011 and 2015. dont be surprised if it happens again this year.
The odds would say it would be a big surprise if that was to happen this year.

To Be Relegated    

Kildare 8/11
Galway evens
Donegal 15/8
Monaghan 15/8
Mayo 11/4
Tyrone 5/1
Kerry 9/1
Dublin 25/1

seafoid

The dubs had forwards.
Tyrone have shortages in that department. They also have notions. Galway don't.
Agree about Monaghan.

southtyronegael

could be value in that 5/1. tyrone also only finished 3rd from bottom last year. no sean cavanagh this year and could be a few scars mentally after the dublin debacle last year.

seafoid

If it was last year`s championship Mayo and Dublin would play the final and everyone else would be relegated

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on January 24, 2018, 08:54:05 PM

The dubs had forwards.
Agree about Monaghan.
I have no doubt Galway with their tradition and recent underage success do have notions.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 24, 2018, 09:27:16 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 24, 2018, 08:54:05 PM

The dubs had forwards.
Agree about Monaghan.
I have no doubt Galway with their tradition and recent underage success do have notions.
Galway always have notions! That's why they will come from nowhere some day!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Avondhu star on January 24, 2018, 12:23:56 PM

;D ;D ;D

I think the most charitable thing I can say is that you are confusing the term "native language" with "national language" and there's a helluva difference between them.
As this is taking us way off-topic, this is my last comment on the subject except to say I have dealt and occasionally worked with Christian Brothers for more than three decades and I imagine I know a lot more about them than you do.
A lot of decent skins okay but the prevailing ethos was and probably still is that if those weren't  fior Gaels were somehow lesser people than those dwelt in the real world.
Over and out...
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi