Kimmage article about the scandal at O Dwyer's

Started by Asal Mor, June 03, 2018, 12:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Jinxy on June 12, 2018, 01:26:53 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín on June 11, 2018, 05:00:43 PM
As a local involved in the club people seem to be missing two points.

1. The GAA, in the absence of any censure are perceived to be backing the club and Liam Howley.

2. Howley is destroying the club. And the club was struggling long before this incident.

The Driver is a committed Gael and refused to take money from the club. He is entirely the wronged party. His treatment is disgusting and the ordinary members have been cut off at the knees. Refusing to allow the kids on that team play, punishing them to get at the Driver, is a disgrace. We aren't losing kids to other clubs, we are losing them to the far better run soccer and rugby clubs in the area. Better facilities, none of this messing.

I can only assume the DCB and Croke Park are backing him because of the property play with Fingal CC to move up the road in a land swap. And they are having to do that because the facilities are a shambles.

I have serious fears for the club and efforts to get answers, let alone accountability have been stonewalled.

To the best of your knowledge,
a) Was Paul Kimmage in attendance at the AGM?
b) Was he 'The Parent', whose actions were described in the article?

A. No.

B. I wasn't at the meeting with the parents. I would like to think I would have heard of a journalist being removed, and I haven't.

Kimmage is not really the story here. This was always hitting the press.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 12, 2018, 03:34:25 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 12, 2018, 02:31:43 PM
If indeed Kimmage was the parent then it does call into question his impartiality and also his motives for making this case known nationally. I still maintain that the question of a third party settling legal fee's to the tune of €20k is the only item of any interest. The rest of it is just local squabbling he said she said stuff that happens in plenty of clubs up and down the country.

Kimmage is a fine journalist but he should really be concentrating on cycling, athletics and other international sport rather than reduce himself to these petty local squabbles.

Nothing he said she said about announcing to all in sundry at a parent committee meeting that the previous coach was dismissed by the committee because he inappropriately laid his hands on a child. Now with all the implications and connotations that accusation invokes I don't believe there's a man here who wouldn't take the actions the coach had to take. If that's the kind of leadership the chairman is setting God knows what's going on in the rest of the club. I know if I lived in Balbriggan I'd be delighted to see this in the Sunday paper.
and then told the matter is closed on legal advice, no discussion, no accountability.

Baile Brigín 2

If indeed Kimmage was the parent then it does call into question his impartiality and also his motives for making this case known nationally. I still maintain that the question of a third party settling legal fee's to the tune of €20k is the only item of any interest. The rest of it is just local squabbling he said she said stuff that happens in plenty of clubs up and down the country.

Kimmage is a fine journalist but he should really be concentrating on cycling, athletics and other international sport rather than reduce himself to these petty local squabbles.

Calling a lifelong volunteer a paedophile in a public forum is a tad more than a petty local squabble. As the courts agreed.

yellowcard

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 12, 2018, 05:08:45 PM

Calling a lifelong volunteer a paedophile in a public forum is a tad more than a petty local squabble. As the courts agreed.

I'm not privy to the ins and outs of this case and to be honest when you don't know the personnel involved it is easy to forget the jist of the original allegation made in Kimmage's article. I take your point completely that if the court found him guilty of making false allegations of paedophilia against a fellow member then it is a lot more serious than a squabble which I originally stated. You obviously have the inside track, most people on here are just going on hearsay. 

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: yellowcard on June 12, 2018, 05:30:53 PM

I'm not privy to the ins and outs of this case and to be honest when you don't know the personnel involved it is easy to forget the jist of the original allegation made in Kimmage's article. I take your point completely that if the court found him guilty of making false allegations of paedophilia against a fellow member then it is a lot more serious than a squabble which I originally stated. You obviously have the inside track, most people on here are just going on hearsay.

I'm not having a pop at you, I genuinely can see why you would think that.

But to those talking about kimmage this and kimmage that, does it matter who broke the story? Be honest, how would you react if this was your club? Fall in line knowing it's wrong and have faith lessons were learned? Try and have people removed in the middle of a property deal that will make or break the club? Jack it in and go elsewhere? Its an appalling situation and the club is split over it.

yellowcard

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 12, 2018, 05:37:13 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 12, 2018, 05:30:53 PM

I'm not having a pop at you, I genuinely can see why you would think that.

But to those talking about kimmage this and kimmage that, does it matter who broke the story? Be honest, how would you react if this was your club? Fall in line knowing it's wrong and have faith lessons were learned? Try and have people removed in the middle of a property deal that will make or break the club? Jack it in and go elsewhere? Its an appalling situation and the club is split over it.

If Kimmage's account is true, then any self respecting individual in Howley's shoes would simply step down and put the club before himself. 

rosnarun

he did not call him a  paedophile he said he "Two years ago he inappropriately laid his hands on a child."
which is a million miles from want to have sex with a child .
one deserves and reprimand the other deserves a long time in prison.
it  MAY seem  inappropriate to slap a child esp some one elses or in this case to carry a child forcefully from the field (even though he had the parent go ahead)
what the chairman said was still incorrect but lets not always assume the worst in all cases. this just leads to secrecy and people being unwilling to coach teams . as people know any 'child issue ' has the capability to destoy some one life and career
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

bennydorano

Yeah, I was wondering where the Paedophile thing had sprung from. It's a shitty enough situation without throwing more fuel on the fire.

Baile Brigín 2

I won't attach guilt to any individual, but rumours were circulated to that effect. That and he battered a kid. Might or might not be the same kid. And the Driver did get 20k.

The point being the comments could be interpreted many ways. Which is why they were so so scurrilous.

Hound

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 12, 2018, 06:22:00 PM
I won't attach guilt to any individual, but rumours were circulated to that effect. That and he battered a kid. Might or might not be the same kid. And the Driver did get 20k.

The point being the comments could be interpreted many ways. Which is why they were so so scurrilous.

But you're making stuff up now. Kimmage was clearly trying to paint the Chairman in the worst possible light, but you've gone and doubled down on it, despite not being at the meeting!

From what I've heard from locals, it's not like the incident was plucked out of the air. It was something that was talked about at the time. People witnessed a man picking up crying child, who roared more when lifted, and wondered what was going on. It was talked about. Of course, the Driver did nothing wrong as the child's parent was right there.

And of course the Chairman was very wrong to say what he did and it's hard to understand how he's still in place. But clearly it wasn't as bad as you are suggesting, as €20k, including legal fees, would be a very meagre settlement in that case. Although I believe it's fair to say the Driver's motivation was never money.

Hound

I still maintain that the question of a third party settling legal fees to the tune of €20k is the only item of any interest. The rest of it is just local squabbling he said she said stuff that happens in plenty of clubs up and down the country.

This has been covered on this thread a number of times!

It wasn't a third party. It was the GAA's insurance crowd.

Quote from: Jinxy on June 12, 2018, 03:39:36 PM
The chairman should have been held personally accountable for his ridiculous actions.
Neither the club, nor the GAA centrally, should have paid any money towards settling this dispute.
I think we probably all agree on that.
That is the core of the story for me.
All the other stuff about coaches, parents etc. is local news, at best.

I don't agree. The comment was clearly made in his role as chairman. He was, in fact, chairing a meeting of the club when he said it. Any actions as role of chairman have to be covered by insurance. Otherwise nobody would be chairman. We don't know whether this plan of action was something he made up on the spot, or something agreed in advance by a big committee and left to the chairman to state. But either way he was the chairman of the club explaining why a coach of the club had been removed as coach.

The GAA had to ensure their insurance covered it. The mystery for me is why they haven't said to the chairman that what he did was totally out of order and therefore you're stepping down as chairman.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Hound on June 13, 2018, 07:29:01 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on June 12, 2018, 06:22:00 PM

But you're making stuff up now. Kimmage was clearly trying to paint the Chairman in the worst possible light, but you've gone and doubled down on it, despite not being at the meeting!

From what I've heard from locals, it's not like the incident was plucked out of the air. It was something that was talked about at the time. People witnessed a man picking up crying child, who roared more when lifted, and wondered what was going on. It was talked about. Of course, the Driver did nothing wrong as the child's parent was right there.

And of course the Chairman was very wrong to say what he did and it's hard to understand how he's still in place. But clearly it wasn't as bad as you are suggesting, as €20k, including legal fees, would be a very meagre settlement in that case. Although I believe it's fair to say the Driver's motivation was never money.
Not my objective.

If you didn't know the back story, and lots of people didn't, what would you take the comment to mean?

trileacman

What kind of lazy f**ker gets someone else to lift their crying child off a football pitch? Why the f**k wouldn't you go out and do it yourself?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

WT4E

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 17, 2018, 07:05:18 PM
A bit off topic but some nice trolling from Kimmage from the weekend.
https://twitter.com/PaulKimmage/status/1018219553040621568

I often wondered are the Dubs doping?? Its plausible! They missed a test once or twice didnt they? But I suppose anyone can miss test - its happened to some of the best sports stars in the world - Mo Farah - Bradley Wiggans etc.