Stefan Campbell signs for Lurgan Celtic

Started by T Fearon, August 31, 2017, 06:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: T Fearon on September 05, 2017, 01:17:52 PM
Lurgan Celtic play in a Division immediately below the Northern Irish Premiership,whose Champions met Glasgow Celtic in the Champions League qualifiers this season.This is not a pub football or junior football team,but one with aspirations to play in the Northern Irish Premiership.

Missing the entire McKenna cup/ League and turning up for the championship is bound to annoy some of the boys who have trained since January.

Werent the IFA talking about moving the league to a summer season? Or was that the FAI?

J70

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 05, 2017, 04:06:11 PM
Lurgan Celtic play in a Division immediately below the Northern Irish Premiership,whose Champions met Glasgow Celtic in the Champions League qualifiers this season.This is not a pub football or junior football team,but one with aspirations to play in the Northern Irish Premiership.

Missing the entire McKenna cup/ League and turning up for the championship is bound to annoy some of the boys who have trained since January.

Werent the IFA talking about moving the league to a summer season? Or was that the FAI?

League of Ireland has been playing through the summer for a few years now.

RedHand88

Quote from: J70 on September 05, 2017, 04:39:07 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on September 05, 2017, 04:06:11 PM

League of Ireland has been playing through the summer for a few years now.

That must be it cheers.

yellowcard

Quote from: Sandy Hill on September 05, 2017, 03:50:39 PM
Is Stefan Campbell playing soccer very much different to Kieran Donaghy playing basketball every winter?

No, it's not but it doesn't suit the narrative which is aimed at having a pop at the player for having the audacity at playing another sport.

T Fearon

It is not having a pop at the lad.It is suggesting that having had a relatively poor season on the GAA front,does his decision to play soccer at an above average level spell the end of his GAA career,as it did for his now Lurgan Celtic team mate,Ryan Henderson.

The Gs Man

Ryan scored 4-3 against Wexford on his league debut then hardly got a sniff for Armagh after it.

I wouldn't say he picked soccer over Gaelic, more so he was forced to pick soccer over Gaelic due not getting a look-in come Championship time.

He's still starring for Clann Eireann too.
Keep 'er lit

T Fearon

He did get a run in the Armagh team after that but never came close to repeating that performance.But opting for soccer ended his Armagh career immediately

The Gs Man

Barely got a kick in the Championship though, which made his decision to sign for DC a whole lot easier....
Keep 'er lit

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on September 07, 2017, 10:36:12 AM
He did get a run in the Armagh team after that but never came close to repeating that performance.But opting for soccer ended his Armagh career immediately

Did it really?
And let's be honest, soccer at the highest level, which lurgan celtic are not at, is, at best, average

The Gs Man

Nah, it didn't really.

Tony's just being Tony.
Keep 'er lit

T Fearon

He wasn't getting his place on Armagh team,a bit like Stefan,then he signed for Donegal Celtic,just then one division above Lurgan Celtic's current division,and never played for Armagh again.

As I say,I no of no other player in the current era combining decent soccer and county GAA careers

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: T Fearon on September 07, 2017, 11:57:33 PM
He wasn't getting his place on Armagh team,a bit like Stefan,then he signed for Donegal Celtic,just then one division above Lurgan Celtic's current division,and never played for Armagh again.

As I say,I no of no other player in the current era combining decent soccer and county GAA careers

Your as bad as a politician...pick and choose what you answer too.  Both Kieran Donaghy and Aiden O'Se play basketball in the off season at a high level and AFAIK played in a final against each other.  Didn't have any impact in them playing championship football with counties.

Also another point which has been made...why a full blown new thread created?  Wouldn't the most relevant place to discuss this be in the Armagh County Thread?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on September 07, 2017, 11:57:33 PM

So he went from not playing for Armagh to not playing for Armagh?

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

PAULD123

Quote from: T Fearon on September 04, 2017, 06:43:38 PM
Name me another prominent County GAA player who has signed for an Irish League or League of Ireland club,in recent times? The only one I can think of is Eoin Bradley who has not played for Derry since

Not hugely prominent but Warrenpoint's John Boyle plays for Warrenpoint Town in the Irish Premier League. Decided to play for them when he was in the county squad and therefore gave up a county career. He also missed this year's club championship because the soccer had started back. Generally we get him for a bit when the soccer is off-season and the club scene is just starting.