We need to talk about Stephen Cluxton

Started by highorlow, July 16, 2017, 07:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Steven McDonnell has defended Niall Morgan after the Tyrone goalkeeper appeared to goad Down's Darragh O'Hanlon after he missed a goal chance during the first half of last Sunday's Ulster SFC final.

Former Dublin star Alan Brogan led the criticism of Morgan, claiming in a newspaper column that "that sort of behaviour is not what you see from Stephen Cluxton", but McDonnell feels too much has been made of the incident.

The ex-Armagh attacker told the Irish News: "It's an Ulster final where there's a lot at stake. It's a heat of the moment thing, a reaction that happens. It happens out the field all the time during matches, so I wouldn't be too concerned or worried about it if I was Niall Morgan.

"It's something that happens in football. It's here to stay for a while. I'd love to see it eradicated from the game and it's difficult for measures to stamp it out of the game."

McDonnell took issue with Brogan's assertion that Stephen Cluxton wouldn't engage in such behaviour.

"I've seen Stephen Cluxton react the way in games. I remember he punched Jason McAteer in a charity match when he wasn't getting it all his own way.

"He got sent off for striking out at me in 2003. Cluxton is no angel," he added.

dublin7

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 21, 2017, 11:20:48 AM
Steven McDonnell has defended Niall Morgan after the Tyrone goalkeeper appeared to goad Down's Darragh O'Hanlon after he missed a goal chance during the first half of last Sunday's Ulster SFC final.

Former Dublin star Alan Brogan led the criticism of Morgan, claiming in a newspaper column that "that sort of behaviour is not what you see from Stephen Cluxton", but McDonnell feels too much has been made of the incident.

The ex-Armagh attacker told the Irish News: "It's an Ulster final where there's a lot at stake. It's a heat of the moment thing, a reaction that happens. It happens out the field all the time during matches, so I wouldn't be too concerned or worried about it if I was Niall Morgan.

"It's something that happens in football. It's here to stay for a while. I'd love to see it eradicated from the game and it's difficult for measures to stamp it out of the game."

McDonnell took issue with Brogan's assertion that Stephen Cluxton wouldn't engage in such behaviour.

"I've seen Stephen Cluxton react the way in games. I remember he punched Jason McAteer in a charity match when he wasn't getting it all his own way.

"He got sent off for striking out at me in 2003. Cluxton is no angel," he added.

Ridiculous comparison to make. The incident with Stephen McConnell was 14 years ago. That Dublin team was completely different to this Dublin team. While Dublin team could certainly dish out the verbal diarrhoea back then they couldn't back it up. Also Cluxton was only starting out in his early 20s. He was crucified afterwaeds for getting sent off in that game. Even his then manager Tommy Lyons hammered him. I wish refs would clamp down on that sledging and start issuing black cards for it. No skill involved and only done to try and get the player to react and get sent off.

What Brogan pointed out is true. If that had happened against Cluxton he would have picked up the ball and looked for the quick kick out while the player was on the ground.

Taylor

So Morgan shouted in someones face at 26 years of age.
Cluxton boxed McAteer about 5 or 6 years ago. That would have left him 30 odd.

Complete bullshit Dublin 7

Fuzzman

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: dublin7 on July 21, 2017, 01:25:56 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 21, 2017, 11:20:48 AM

Ridiculous comparison to make. The incident with Stephen McConnell was 14 years ago. That Dublin team was completely different to this Dublin team. While Dublin team could certainly dish out the verbal diarrhoea back then they couldn't back it up. Also Cluxton was only starting out in his early 20s. He was crucified afterwaeds for getting sent off in that game. Even his then manager Tommy Lyons hammered him. I wish refs would clamp down on that sledging and start issuing black cards for it. No skill involved and only done to try and get the player to react and get sent off.

What Brogan pointed out is true. If that had happened against Cluxton he would have picked up the ball and looked for the quick kick out while the player was on the ground.

Cluxton got sent off against Mayo 2 years ago because he kicked out at Kevin McLaughlin all because he ran across him as Cluxton was getting ready to take a quick kickout.

You seem to be talking about both sides of your mouth here, a bit like Alan Brogan.

dublin7

McDonnell never mentioned Kevin McLoughlin only went back to own one nearly 15 years ago. I don't know or care what happened with Jason McAteer but I doubt it was because his team was losing in a charity game.

Cluxton was rightly sent off for kicking McLoughlin. I fail to see a problem with Brogan criticising Morgan for sledging. This thread has turned ridiculous in that Cluxton who did nothing wrong is getting hammered but Morgan who had a go at the down player on the ground seems to be the victim

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: dublin7 on July 21, 2017, 02:33:19 PM
McDonnell never mentioned Kevin McLoughlin only went back to own one nearly 15 years ago. I don't know or care what happened with Jason McAteer but I doubt it was because his team was losing in a charity game.

Cluxton was rightly sent off for kicking McLoughlin. I fail to see a problem with Brogan criticising Morgan for sledging. This thread has turned ridiculous in that Cluxton who did nothing wrong is getting hammered but Morgan who had a go at the down player on the ground seems to be the victim

The problem isn't Brogan criticising Morgan for sledging, the problem is putting Cluxton up on a pedestal for impeccable behaviour when it's far removed from fact.

Does Alan Brogan have selective amnesia of his former teammate?

Fuzzman

An Armagh man told me he was at that game and saw it from the stands.
He said McAteer had charged at Cluxton to get the ball back for a corner but Cluxton put his arms up in self defence and Jason dived.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Crete Boom on July 21, 2017, 02:51:44 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on July 21, 2017, 01:58:02 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 21, 2017, 01:31:53 PM

Great photo, deserved it.

Makes me respect Cluxton a bit more to be honest ;D

In fairness its funny, the look of satisfaction on cluxtons face.

Regarding the other comments, this is what happens when former players talk about incidents, Alan started it, McDonnell defended it, so on and so forth.

Again, we run away with ourselves sometimes and sensationalised  stuff, anything that happens now in GAA circles in sensationalised.

Bottom line of thread, Cluxton is up there as one of many great GAA players.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Crete Boom

Quote from: laoislad on July 21, 2017, 10:45:27 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on July 21, 2017, 02:51:44 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on July 21, 2017, 01:58:02 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 21, 2017, 01:31:53 PM

Great photo, deserved it.

Makes me respect Cluxton a bit more to be honest ;D
Why? Because McAteer played soccer and Cluxton is a Gaa player?

No because somebody who runs their mouth all the time on a pitch regardless of what sport they play deserves the odd belt now and again!! Sports reflects life in a lot of ways!!