all ireland football qualifiers 2017.

Started by cornetto, April 19, 2017, 07:35:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Only got round to watching the Carlow - Monaghan match today. Some effort by Carlow who were frightfully unlucky not to be able to hold on just a few minutes more.  The Monaghan goal was borderline square ball as well.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Main Street

Quote from: David McKeown on July 16, 2017, 11:22:09 AM
Only got round to watching the Carlow - Monaghan match today. Some effort by Carlow who were frightfully unlucky not to be able to hold on just a few minutes more.  The Monaghan goal was borderline square ball as well.
Carlow did excellent for 3/4 of the game. but frightfully unlucky not to hold on? you have to be joking..
They weren't unlucky not to hold on in the last 1/4, they camped a ruck of players in front of their goal. Once Monaghan drew level it was just a matter of picking the scores off as more space opened up at the back.  The Drew Wiley inspired point put them ahead, the goal followed soon after and it was totally legit, not even close to being borderline. With both moves  the Monaghan players had more space to pick their scores and executed them with aplomb.

David McKeown

Quote from: Main Street on July 16, 2017, 12:34:50 PM
Carlow did excellent for 3/4 of the game. but frightfully unlucky not to hold on? you have to be joking..
They weren't unlucky not to hold on in the last 1/4, they camped a ruck of players in front of their goal. Once Monaghan drew level it was just a matter of picking the scores off as more space opened up at the back.  The Drew Wiley inspired point put them ahead, the goal followed soon after and it was totally legit, not even close to being borderline. With both moves  the Monaghan players had more space to pick their scores and executed them with aplomb.

In fairness I think you are right I overstated it about them being unlucky Monaghan were easily the better team and deserved the win. I do think the goal was square ball though and until that point Carlow were still in the game.

gwan-ye-boy-ya

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 15, 2017, 09:42:00 PM
Always seems to be some sort of unpleasant incident, red card or ugly scuffle in every Monaghan game. Probably the scummiest team of players in Ireland right now.

A good bit like dublin then

Give and Go

Quote from: David McKeown on July 16, 2017, 03:03:09 PM
Hardly so. Only Carlow coughed up two balls after they scored their goal and a man was shouldered out over the sideline, Monaghan would have been gone. Fair play to them they maximised these turnovers to get the scores and see out the game. But if Carlow had scored a point after their goal well it could have been a different result. Great physical tussle that will stand to Monaghan - far better than another facile win like down in Wexford.

In fairness I think you are right I overstated it about them being unlucky Monaghan were easily the better team and deserved the win. I do think the goal was square ball though and until that point Carlow were still in the game.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: gwan-ye-boy-ya on July 16, 2017, 03:22:11 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 15, 2017, 09:42:00 PM
Always seems to be some sort of unpleasant incident, red card or ugly scuffle in every Monaghan game. Probably the scummiest team of players in Ireland right now.

A good bit like dublin then
not really
generally this dublin team aren't like that, one or two exceptions of course

Main Street

Quote from: David McKeown on July 16, 2017, 03:03:09 PM

Sorry to take away your last straw, the square ball :)

You'll see here that the ball has left the Monaghan player's hands on the right and Kelly to the left is well outside the square.

David McKeown

My eyesight must be away because it looks to me like he is at least partially in the square there. Anyway I'll take your word for it although I think you are being very generous to suggest he is well outside and that it's not borderline.

Ball Hopper

illdecide

Tough draw for Armagh...Kildare looked a decent side and Armagh will be the underdogs for this game
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

punt kick

Smokin Joe

Quote from: punt kick on July 17, 2017, 08:43:02 AM
Are these neutral venues?

Yes.  Where is the Kildare v Armagh game likely to be played? They'd hardly take that game to Croke Park by itself?
And surely they wouldn't take Down v Monaghan to Croke Park?

illdecide

Quote from: punt kick on July 17, 2017, 08:43:02 AM
Are these neutral venues?

Yes, TBC later today by CCCC. Double header in Croke Pk is the talk
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: illdecide on July 17, 2017, 08:41:00 AM
Tough draw for Armagh...Kildare looked a decent side and Armagh will be the underdogs for this game

Kildare missing Fealy and Doyle.. If Clarke continues his form I'd fancy Armagh.