Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kickham csc

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on April 11, 2018, 04:43:33 PM
Quote from: Kickham csc on April 11, 2018, 04:25:06 PMSome would consider Maghera the first to make the jump, and if you ready the recent MacRory Cup history book that was launched a couple of years ago, the Ulster Council weren't too welcoming to Maghera
In what year did Maghera join the Ulster Colleges set up? From memory, I don't recall them ever winning any Ulster titles at Vocational Schools level whereas St. Pius X in Magherafelt had a string of VS success in the late 70's & early 80's which also powered the Derry county team to several All-Ireland titles before dropping off the radar - presumably they joined the colleges setup at some point in the 80's?

Bessbrook seemed to be lying in the football doldrums for quite some time before they reached a McDevitt (U14) final in 2004 I think. They were definitely defeated that day by Dean Maguirc Carrickmore. They eventually won an Ulster VS title, reached a Markey Cup semi final one year as well before deciding to throw their lot in with the colleges set up as they thought they had the talent coming through to give the MacRory cup a fair go and they certainly did, winning a McCormick Cup and almost a MacRory Cup not long after. While Bessbrook does have an advantage in its sheer student numbers it shows that if you have the talent and facilities available at your disposal to make a go of it and add a bit of belief, you can make a go of it. And to a large extent that's what St. Ronan's have achieved with.

I understand that when St. Pat's were formed in the 60's they applied to play in the Colleges competitions, but got major pushback from the council who believed, that as the school was not a grammar school, they should have been playing in VS football. They had to get written approval from VS to play in the colleges but the colleges still resisted, but St. Pat's won out in the end.

I know from my time there, there was an element of them 'v' us, which help fuel our determination to succeed.

The school structure is the same as St Ronan's, St Paul's, ie it is a non selective college that at the time took both people who got A, M and F in the 11+

johnnycool

Quote from: Kickham csc on April 12, 2018, 09:17:46 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on April 11, 2018, 04:43:33 PM
Quote from: Kickham csc on April 11, 2018, 04:25:06 PMSome would consider Maghera the first to make the jump, and if you ready the recent MacRory Cup history book that was launched a couple of years ago, the Ulster Council weren't too welcoming to Maghera
In what year did Maghera join the Ulster Colleges set up? From memory, I don't recall them ever winning any Ulster titles at Vocational Schools level whereas St. Pius X in Magherafelt had a string of VS success in the late 70's & early 80's which also powered the Derry county team to several All-Ireland titles before dropping off the radar - presumably they joined the colleges setup at some point in the 80's?

Bessbrook seemed to be lying in the football doldrums for quite some time before they reached a McDevitt (U14) final in 2004 I think. They were definitely defeated that day by Dean Maguirc Carrickmore. They eventually won an Ulster VS title, reached a Markey Cup semi final one year as well before deciding to throw their lot in with the colleges set up as they thought they had the talent coming through to give the MacRory cup a fair go and they certainly did, winning a McCormick Cup and almost a MacRory Cup not long after. While Bessbrook does have an advantage in its sheer student numbers it shows that if you have the talent and facilities available at your disposal to make a go of it and add a bit of belief, you can make a go of it. And to a large extent that's what St. Ronan's have achieved with.

I understand that when St. Pat's were formed in the 60's they applied to play in the Colleges competitions, but got major pushback from the council who believed, that as the school was not a grammar school, they should have been playing in VS football. They had to get written approval from VS to play in the colleges but the colleges still resisted, but St. Pat's won out in the end.

I know from my time there, there was an element of them 'v' us, which help fuel our determination to succeed.

The school structure is the same as St Ronan's, St Paul's, ie it is a non selective college that at the time took both people who got A, M and F in the 11+

Sure a lot of Grammar schools now are filling their seats with children getting a lot less than an A in the entrance exams and that bit of snobbery is being eroded.

St Patrick's Red High in Downpatrick is the same. There's currently talk of an amalgamation with three other comprehensive schools in the area and it isn't going down well with the Red Highers, but it'll happen all the same.

Orior

Throw in the drive by some people for inter-denominational schools then the McCrory cup will gravitate towards the ghettos like Crossmaglen.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Walter Cronc

From my knowledge the local catchment around Maghera (i.e 5-6 miles) don't have to sit the 11+ and are graded by P7 teachers and then an early exam in 1st year. It's those outside the area that have to pass to get in, with the caveat of an older brother/sister at the school being in your favour or you are a top footballer lol.

Each year group has 4 grammar stream classes and 4 non grammar. Few years back mind you. Maybe different now.

FermGael

Bigger issue IMO for Ulster colleges is with the Impending closure of alot of smaller "vocational" schools due to lack of numbers and government policy to try and centralise resources ( which is madness -you only have to look at the mess that has been made of the English system with this policy) , what happens the vast majority of lads in these schools who probably all play for their clubs and never make a mcrory squad ?

Also the current state of Gaelic in FE colleges ( the old "techs") is very sad to see.
Seems nobody wants to take responsibility for it .
I remember a time when those Colleges won all Ireland's and would have given most mcrory teams a run for their money

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Wildweasel74

St marys magherafelt played maclarnon for years due to the set up of the classes; roughly 5 classes with 17 girls and 9 or 10 boys! Left a total of 50 boys in years upper and lower sixth to try pick a team from! Total intake a year was round 134; think it mire evenly split boy girl ratio these days!

Wildweasel74

St pius magherafelt always used to produce great players and good school teams but until recent years had only went up to 5th yr! There was a time in the late 70's early 80's when they stayed to 18 that they won 3 VS  cups in a row and were probably better than the corresponding maccrory cup winners at the time!

Fr. Cyril McDuff

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 14, 2018, 09:37:20 AM
From my knowledge the local catchment around Maghera (i.e 5-6 miles) don't have to sit the 11+ and are graded by P7 teachers and then an early exam in 1st year. It's those outside the area that have to pass to get in, with the caveat of an older brother/sister at the school being in your favour or you are a top footballer lol.

Each year group has 4 grammar stream classes and 4 non grammar. Few years back mind you. Maybe different now.

Still a similar set up, though apparently there have been suggestions of dropping the grammar stream by the new head teacher.
Children at feeder primary schools (Glen and Glenview in Maghera, Tirkane, Swatragh and Gulladuff I think) don't have to do a transfer test but can still be in the grammar stream depending on their primary school reports.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 14, 2018, 10:51:42 AM
St pius magherafelt always used to produce great players and good school teams but until recent years had only went up to 5th yr! There was a time in the late 70's early 80's when they stayed to 18 that they won 3 VS  cups in a row and were probably better than the corresponding maccrory cup winners at the time!
Yep Damian Barton, Mickey Berryman  Ronan McCuaker Marty Bradley amongst others on those StPius teams from memory

Targetman

Apparently a player was air lifted to hospital during a Mac Rory cup game today between Cavan and Carrickmacross, anyone hear of this?

Itchy

Quote from: Targetman on November 30, 2018, 10:50:01 PM
Apparently a player was air lifted to hospital during a Mac Rory cup game today between Cavan and Carrickmacross, anyone hear of this?

Off the ball strike I was told, cavan player taken away to hospital. I hope it was not as cynical as it was reported to me.

Dire Ear

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46469758
GardaĆ­ (Irish police) have said they have received a report of an alleged assault on a boy following an incident during a Ulster Schools GAA match

trailer

Quote from: Dire Ear on December 06, 2018, 02:00:39 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46469758
GardaĆ­ (Irish police) have said they have received a report of an alleged assault on a boy following an incident during a Ulster Schools GAA match

There's a sea change in the way these off the ball strikes are being handled. Someone is going to do time. Pressure from the public is going to see the Gardai and PSNI involved.

bennydorano

St Pats Armagh v Omagh CBS abandoned at ht due to fog with Armagh leading 1.7 to 0.4, replay Friday night.

Full game replay or just 2nd half, whats the regulations?

oakleafgael

Quote from: bennydorano on February 27, 2019, 09:22:03 PM
St Pats Armagh v Omagh CBS abandoned at ht due to fog with Armagh leading 1.7 to 0.4, replay Friday night.

Full game replay or just 2nd half, whats the regulations?

New game. It shouldn't ever have started.