Teachers get it handy!

Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

Quote from: Estimator on June 11, 2020, 11:42:18 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on June 11, 2020, 08:53:55 PM
Quote from: delgany on June 11, 2020, 08:03:32 PM
Return on 17th subject to changes and agreement by those involved ,now

Wouldn't have a big problem returning earlier than normal as long as it's part of the 185 teaching days as agreed in the deal made in April. Longer Xmas/ Easter holidays to balance out

In Wales, they announced that the schools would be open for an extra week this side of the summer holidays, but that the first half term break in October would be extended to two weeks.

Plans for how and when pupils will return to school in Wales have been announced.

The country's education minister Kirsty Williams said schools will work "very differently" to the way they did before lockdown.

There will be a four-week term starting from Monday 29 June, that will finish on Monday 27 July.

There will also be an extra week added to the Autumn half-term break.

Class sizes will be smaller, but schools will be open to all years for limited periods during the week.

Each year will be split into groups and there will be staggered starts, lessons and break times. This means that at most a third of pupils will be in school at any one time.

It will be a similar restart plan in north.

Jim Bob

Weir at it again....now he looking teachers to run a fortnight summer learning camps in schools..
if anyone was foolish enough to go with this they would need to be in fir a few days beforehand to prepare
Take a day or two off then back in good time to prepare for the return on 17th.
Some neck!

tbrick18

Quote from: Jim Bob on June 16, 2020, 10:38:21 AM
Weir at it again....now he looking teachers to run a fortnight summer learning camps in schools..
if anyone was foolish enough to go with this they would need to be in fir a few days beforehand to prepare
Take a day or two off then back in good time to prepare for the return on 17th.
Some neck!

Yeah nonsense idea, as is returning on the 17th without an answer to childcare issues, contractual issues, advice on who cleans what, consulting with teachers....

In saying all of that, I don't envy his position. He's really in a no-win situation and to be fair to him, this is un-precedented and there is no correct or easy solution.
Every scenario is going to have an element of risk to children, teachers, families and support staff.

However, he's not helping himself at all by just announcing these things without taking into account all the implications.

Milltown Row2

At secondary level my wife will be back on the 17th August to teach 5th years and upper 6th.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tbrick18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 16, 2020, 01:46:57 PM
At secondary level my wife will be back on the 17th August to teach 5th years and upper 6th.

Will she have to go into school a week earlier to prepare for the 17th?
Will teachers who dont teach 5th years and upper 6th also return at the same time?
There seems to be mixed messages around this.
My wife is a primary teacher, and her principle is telling them that they all have to return on the 17th.

delgany

You can have either of two solutions
1. Pay the staff ,who return early for the weeks extra work-  17th - 21st August . Most schools will be back on 24th or 25th anyway for INSET.
2 . All staff back on 17th and add extra days on to each of the holidays scheduled at Christmas,  Easter etc .

Kidder81

Peter Weir needs to realise it's the teaching unions run education here, not the Dept Of Education

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 16, 2020, 03:36:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 16, 2020, 01:46:57 PM

Will she have to go into school a week earlier to prepare for the 17th?
Will teachers who dont teach 5th years and upper 6th also return at the same time?
There seems to be mixed messages around this.
My wife is a primary teacher, and her principle is telling them that they all have to return on the 17th.

It'll be determined by the timetables I'd assume, if you're a teacher teaching juniors and they ain't in you'll continue to do your teaching from home as they have been doing, you can't just give one teacher  extra time off while the others work, the timetable wouldn't allow that I'd say. Extra weeks money would be a better call
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on June 16, 2020, 06:01:48 PM
Is this expected to make a pile of difference to anyone?

Yes, smufry will be chuffed and anyone that's had a holiday booked for that date!

ONeill

I don't envy examination boards. They probably don't know what way to turn right now in terms of specifications for next year.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on June 16, 2020, 06:13:43 PM
I mean, what is Peter Weir planning to justify with this extra week? Looking at the year groups, is he thinking that all GCSEs, A-Levels & transfer tests can go ahead as normal, sure they got that extra week? Cos that'd be a heap of shite!

I'd say there's a good chance teachers will be predicting grades again next year.

That's been talked about within schools already

delgany

The whole thing is turning into a shambles. Guidance is due at end of June - it will only be guidance and not statutory requirements . Each school could be left to paddle their own canoe. No money available to cover additional costs to schools. Weir will be looking a bailout from june monitoring  round .

He handed  non contracted sub teachers about £8 million because schools  closed. 4 MLA s badgered him for weeks  to give them a hand out rather than the dole/universal credit and they had to commit to nothing . Would he not have thought to ask them to  work in summer schemes as a comeback .

Making it up as they go along !

trailer

A lot of parents talking about dropping kids off at the start of September no matter what these dopey heads say. Certainly any that have work commitments.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trailer on June 17, 2020, 10:21:18 AM
A lot of parents talking about dropping kids off at the start of September no matter what these dopey heads say. Certainly any that have work commitments.

link?

Smurfy123

Why are schools saying they don't see a full return to schools in September?
This is actually laughable
Whilst at the start the teachers union probably had the backing of most they are starting to loose it and very quickly.
Coming out with statements saying they can't reioen in September
On the back of what?
Don't say social distancing as it will be 1 metre at most come September