11-Plus Proposal

Started by spiritof91and94, May 16, 2008, 12:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The GAA

Quote from: Donagh on September 24, 2008, 01:37:49 PM
Quote from: Orior on September 24, 2008, 01:33:48 PM
Eh? Who decides what the system should be, the schools or the department? If its based on geography then the likes of St Mary's Grammar Magherafelt could disappear.

The department has decided after academic selection has been phased out then selection should be on the basis of the some or all of the following:

Geography
· Parish
· Catchment area
· Nearest suitable school
Family
· Currently attending sibling only
· Eldest / first child
Community
· Feeder primary
Social disadvantage
· Looked after children
· Children entitled to Free School Meals
Tie Breakers, such as Random Selection

what about ability?

Donagh

Quote from: The GAA on September 24, 2008, 03:30:42 PM
what about ability?

In what, the long jump? Haven't heard anything, but I don't think so.

Bacon

No harm to you Donagh but none of it is clear to me. Has the legislation been passed?

If it is all systems go for this new transfer procedure and all very clear to the Minister she's not doing a great job of explaining it.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Donagh

Quote from: Bacon on September 24, 2008, 03:41:48 PM
No harm to you Donagh but none of it is clear to me. Has the legislation been passed?

From what I understand legislation is not needed. As Minister she has the authority to make changes to the current system - hence the gradual change over three years.

Quote from: Bacon on September 24, 2008, 03:41:48 PM
If it is all systems go for this new transfer procedure and all very clear to the Minister she's not doing a great job of explaining it.

According to the Irish News she had 500 primary school principles at a conference the other day. Presumably she was briefing them on the new procedures.

Bacon

QuoteAccording to the Irish News she had 500 primary school principles at a conference the other day.

What are the 500 primary school principles?

How could anyone be expected to remember 500 principles. No wonder teachers complain about bureaucracy!

Donagh

Quote from: Bacon on September 24, 2008, 03:48:57 PM

What are the 500 primary school principles?

How could anyone be expected to remember 500 principles. No wonder teachers complain about bureaucracy!

Well they can't complain about pay and holidays, so they'll be needing some excuse.

Doogie Browser

This is one policy SF have royally screwed up, I am all for abolishment but the fact so many P6 children are in limbo now is not acceptable. If this was in the Dail or across the water Ruane would be long gone.

I agree, the information we have is very clouded and there is a lot of ambiguity surrounding this.

Donagh

Quote from: Doogie Browser on September 24, 2008, 03:56:06 PM
This is one policy SF have royally screwed up, I am all for abolishment but the fact so many P6 children are in limbo now is not acceptable. If this was in the Dail or across the water Ruane would be long gone.

I agree, the information we have is very clouded and there is a lot of ambiguity surrounding this.

I'm sure there are thousands of 9 year olds all over the six counties who can't sleep at night for worrying about whether they will be sitting the 11+ in over a years time.

Doogie Browser

Sorry Donagh, I forgot you got a hard-on every time SF is mentioned.

Donagh

Quote from: Doogie Browser on September 24, 2008, 04:05:08 PM
Sorry Donagh, I forgot you got a hard-on every time SF is mentioned.

I work in education Doogie, so I'm sorry if a little informed posting gets in the way of your digs. But hey don't allow that to hold you back from the puerile stuff  ::)

Donagh

Quote from: hardstation on September 24, 2008, 04:07:47 PM
Quote from: Donagh on September 24, 2008, 04:03:15 PM
Quote from: Doogie Browser on September 24, 2008, 03:56:06 PM

I'm sure there are thousands of 9 year olds all over the six counties who can't sleep at night for worrying about whether they will be sitting the 11+ in over a years time.
That's a strange line to be taking, Donagh. "We'll f**k about here for a while, sure it's not as if the kids give a ballix."

Hradstation, my point is that there are proposals for next year, school principles have been informed, the parents are in the process of being informed, so all of these 'will someone please think of the children' lines are spurious as your average 9 year old will be more interested in whats under Barbies dress. It's the parents that are freaking out, egged on by the media - who for some reason aren't actually reporting the proposals only the opposition to them. If you don't believe me Google the proposals to see how long it takes to find them compared to all of all the other shite from that arsehole Bloomfield. As you say the the kids don't give a ballix so you can leave them out of the arguments.

Doogie Browser

I will bow to your hands on experience though.  I can only comment as a lay member of the public and for me the information from the Minister down is not good enough.

I will state again I want the transfer test abolished BUT there has to be guidelines for puplils entering the transfer years at school and at the moment there is not, hence the general public's frustration

Donagh

Quote from: Doogie Browser on September 24, 2008, 04:15:31 PM
I will bow to your hands on experience though.  I can only comment as a lay member of the public and for me the information from the Minister down is not good enough.

I will state again I want the transfer test abolished BUT there has to be guidelines for puplils entering the transfer years at school and at the moment there is not, hence the general public's frustration

Doogie, I published the link to Ruanes proposed guidelines on the previous page.

Bacon

Quote from: Donagh on September 24, 2008, 04:08:24 PM

I work in education Doogie, so I'm sorry if a little informed posting gets in the way of your digs. But hey don't allow that to hold you back from the puerile stuff  ::)

If you work in education you would think you would know how to spell "principal". It's usually on the head teacher's door. You must have noticed it as you're mopping the corridor floor.

Donagh

Quote from: Bacon on September 24, 2008, 04:30:04 PM
Quote from: Donagh on September 24, 2008, 04:08:24 PM

If you work in education you would think you would know how to spell "principal". It's usually on the head teacher's door. You must have noticed it as you're mopping the corridor floor.

What the fcuks this, a spelling test? I'm working here as well so I apologise if I haven't time to spell check my posts when I access Gaaboard on the bosses time.