Android Boxes

Started by snoopdog, July 30, 2015, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Try downloading the MX Player APK and installing it. Google should find it for u.

For what it's worth I know other people have found it different but for me sportsmania works best on Android via Kodi but on IOS MatrixTv is class...

gallsman

When I say watch sports mania through its app, I mean exactly that. They have their own dedicated app for android that you can install on an android device. Theoretically you could install it directly on a Firestick but I doubt it would be compatible.

laoislad

Just buy an android box. I can't see any advantage a firestick has over an android box. There is no faffing about with side loading this that or the other.
It will play anything you can throw at it. Exodus and Sportsmania work excellently on them.
A decent box can be got for €40. I have the mxIII and it does everything I want it to do.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Gaffer

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Billys Boots

Anyone know anything about the android boxes being advertised by www.keltronix.ie??
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Billys Boots

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 01, 2016, 01:21:39 PM
Anyone know anything about the android boxes being advertised by www.keltronix.ie??

Anyone? Anything?

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 03, 2016, 10:43:15 AM

Anyone? Anything?

They're ok but you'll get the same box much cheaper if you buy directly from Ebay.
They probably come with a KODI build - I guess that's why they are charging a premium.
You can install your own build for nothing.

laoislad

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 03, 2016, 10:43:15 AM

Anyone? Anything?

Most android boxes are pretty much the same just rebadged with a different logo. A decent one with good specs can be got for about €50. I think mine cost €75 but the same can be got now for less. 
Geoff is correct, you are better off getting one without a custom build. It's very easy put the stuff on it yourself.  They are all basically the same thing as an android phone software but on your TV.
Just get one with decent specs and it should handle any of the sports or movies sites.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Billys Boots

And are they reliable - why do they say you don't need to save anything that it can be watched on-demand?  Is that not the same thing, or do you save to a cloud account or something?

lurganblue

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 03, 2016, 11:59:03 AM
And are they reliable - why do they say you don't need to save anything that it can be watched on-demand?  Is that not the same thing, or do you save to a cloud account or something?

no nothing needs to be saved or downloaded.  it's all streamed from the internet.  It's best you have unlimited internet from your providor

gallsman

A point to note Billy as I'm not sure you understand. The android box is simply hardware with the Android operating system on it. What services you use it for and their capabilities (e.g. kodi and its addons) are separate.

In general, you won't need much hard disk storage on it. You want a good bit of ram and if you want to future proof, maybe make sure it's capable of outputting 4k.

amallon

Is there such a thing as an android set top box that has a freeview tuner in it?  I want a box that can record Emmerdale every night for the wife and has Kodi built in?  I'm looking at the BT YouView+ box but obviously you can't stick Kodi on it.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Boycey

Quote from: amallon on November 06, 2016, 01:41:21 PM
Is there such a thing as an android set top box that has a freeview tuner in it?  I want a box that can record Emmerdale every night for the wife and has Kodi built in?  I'm looking at the BT YouView+ box but obviously you can't stick Kodi on it.

There are combo boxes alright but I wouldn't know that much about them. I know the zgemma box I use has a kind of Kodi 'light' installed on it but I've never used it for Kodi. I suspect something like this might do ur job either http://www.satworld.ie/amiko-a3-combo-android-spark-2-satellite-terrestrial-receiver.html

Megaman

maybe the wrong place

but whats the best apps to use on IPTV player for Films?

nrico2006

Quote from: amallon on November 06, 2016, 01:41:21 PM

The zgemma box can be setup with the IPTV player and within that a load of different apps can be used for tv shows and films.  As Boycey mentioned, there is a version of KODI called KODI Direct that can be installed on the zgemma boxes too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'