Quatar 22, Any interest ?

Started by Denn Forever, November 03, 2022, 01:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Yes, I'll watch most games. Looking forward to it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Wildweasel74

Working from home, I get in them 4 games a day from the sofa with the laptop operating the best.

bennydorano

As I said  on another thread, anything that brightens the darkest, shitest months of the year is to be welcomed. I'm sure it'll be great.

An Watcher

Love to see one of the African teams make a run to the semis.  Think Ghana got very close one year before suarez intervened which he was just right to do as it gained his ream a place in the wc semis

Eire90

Capt Pat

I can't wait it will be great I reckon.

Obviously the fan experience outside of the games for those going will be second rate.

quit yo jibbajabba

Gary Neville getting his arse handed to him on HIGNFY currently

Wildweasel74

Nigeria had a good team In 1994, but since African fball dropped off, still alot if good players out there, but you need God defences to win a world cup to go with talent up front, African teams are let down by inadequate goalkeepers and I disciplined defences.

From the Bunker

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 04, 2022, 09:29:41 PM
Nigeria had a good team In 1994, but since African fball dropped off, still alot if good players out there, but you need God defences to win a world cup to go with talent up front, African teams are let down by inadequate goalkeepers and I disciplined defences.
and the fact half of their players play for France.

thewobbler

Lazy analysis.

African teams are let down now because the original powers of the game got spooked by their sudden rise in the 1990s and doubled down on investment, infrastructure and coaching, in order to keep them at the top. African football cannot compete with the levels of professionalism in Europe and (to some extent) South America at present.

Look at the key Asian teams for evidence. They've got the money. They've got the public interest. They've got the discipline. And they're still a street behind the countries that have all that, plus the culture and focus.

Armagh18

Quote from: thewobbler on November 04, 2022, 11:51:25 PM

Lazy analysis.

African teams are let down now because the original powers of the game got spooked by their sudden rise in the 1990s and doubled down on investment, infrastructure and coaching, in order to keep them at the top. African football cannot compete with the levels of professionalism in Europe and (to some extent) South America at present.

Look at the key Asian teams for evidence. They've got the money. They've got the public interest. They've got the discipline. And they're still a street behind the countries that have all that, plus the culture and focus.
Surely it's only a matter of time before somewhere like China/India with their populations build a decent team? I know theres mass poverty in a lot of parts of those countries and obviously Indians are more likely to take up cricket but with what, a quarter of the worlds population they're bound to become a force eventually.

Captain Scarlet

Lookit, all the broadcasters are getting their human stories out there now. It's a disgrace, ect but when the ball is kicked it will be all football. I am looking forward to it, but I really think it's a tipping point for FIFA.

I was just wondering how the TV cameras getting crowd reaction will manage in case anyone shows off a Rainbow T-Shirt or the like but now I see they are paying 40 Welsh and 40 English fans to go over.
They will probably have the TV Directors briefed on where they are for positive and safe reactions.

If there is any history, it should be Argentina and Uruguay for 2030. Go back to where it all started and again it could be a Winter World Cup. But they can't grease enough palms...
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Armagh18

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on November 05, 2022, 12:20:10 PM
Lookit, all the broadcasters are getting their human stories out there now. It's a disgrace, ect but when the ball is kicked it will be all football. I am looking forward to it, but I really think it's a tipping point for FIFA.

I was just wondering how the TV cameras getting crowd reaction will manage in case anyone shows off a Rainbow T-Shirt or the like but now I see they are paying 40 Welsh and 40 English fans to go over.
They will probably have the TV Directors briefed on where they are for positive and safe reactions.

If there is any history, it should be Argentina and Uruguay for 2030. Go back to where it all started and again it could be a Winter World Cup. But they can't grease enough palms...
Agreed. Is 2026 in North America?

Would love a joint bid between Ireland and the UK, preferably doable without the English but maybe not

AustinPowers

It is mad that Qatar is  hosting

I remember  England (Australia too) were bidding for 2018/22 , and fifa delegates come over  ,  supposedly to assess stadia, transport, infrastructure, etc etc , then. Awarded it to Qatar who had one stadium at the time if I recall correctly

I mean , why bother visiting countries pretending  to assess things? England and Australia do have adequate stadia to host a World Cup.  Qatar clearly didn't.  Why didn't fifa just sit in  Switzerland and  tell any  bidding countries that whoever sends the biggest cheque gets the tournament. I mean , that's exactly what they do  anyway. An absolute farce