Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on April 30, 2018, 02:18:25 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 30, 2018, 02:05:11 PM
Quote from: Syferus on April 30, 2018, 01:16:33 PM
Sacramento police arrested the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker serial killer last week. He raped 50 women and killed at least 13 people between 1974-1986.

I'd just watched a documentary series about the crimes (Unmasking a Killer, very average and if you're interested I'd recommend the Criminology podcast season on the case as it's far better) and afterwards Googled the case to see that he'd been arrested the day before. Surreal. Probably the most infamous unidentifed American serial killer outside of the Zodiac.
I would say a lot of these chaps will be having sleepless nights now that they see a lot of these cold cases being cleared up. He was nailed on the basis of DNA samples used for genealogy.

Read a magazine article about this a few weeks ago. An amateur called Michele McNamara spent 5 years going through the evidence and wrote a book. Sadly she died before this breakthrough. I couldn't believe it when I read about the arrest last week. Coincidence or what?! Maybe her book prompted something.

The fact that the arrested was a serving cop at the time is 'disappointing'.

They did a big case relaunch and established a new taskforce for the 40th anniversary of the first EAR attacks in 2016, which is what led to this arrest. McNamara was married to the actor Patton Oswalt and he's been very active and public about the case himself. It's crazy to think DNA analysis has came so far in 30 years.

I do wonder what the legalities of genology sites sharing users' DNA with police without a warrant is, though. I'm sure we'll hear much more about that in the years ahead and maybe even as a defense tactic in this case. They had absolutely no evidence to point to him otherwise so it all hinged on the genology website. It benefited society in this case but just like accessing peoples' phones or social media data there's a massive privacy concern.

NAG1

Quote from: Syferus on April 30, 2018, 02:30:05 PM
Sacramento police arrested the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker serial killer last week. He raped 50 women and killed at least 13 people between 1974-1986.

I'd just watched a documentary series about the crimes (Unmasking a Killer, very average and if you're interested I'd recommend the Criminology podcast season on the case as it's far better) and afterwards Googled the case to see that he'd been arrested the day before. Surreal. Probably the most infamous unidentifed American serial killer outside of the Zodiac.
I would say a lot of these chaps will be having sleepless nights now that they see a lot of these cold cases being cleared up. He was nailed on the basis of DNA samples used for genealogy.

Read a magazine article about this a few weeks ago. An amateur called Michele McNamara spent 5 years going through the evidence and wrote a book. Sadly she died before this breakthrough. I couldn't believe it when I read about the arrest last week. Coincidence or what?! Maybe her book prompted something.

They did a big case relaunch and established a new taskforce for the 40th anniversary of the first EAR attacks in 2016, which is what led to this arrest. It's crazy to think DNA analysis has came so far in 30 years.

I do wonder what the legalities of genology sites sharing users' DNA with police without a warrant is, though. I'm sure we'll hear much more about that in the years ahead and maybe even as a defense tactic in this case. They had absolutely no evidence to point to him otherwise so it all hinged on the genology website. It benefited society in this case but just like accessing peoples' phones or social media data there's a massive privacy concern.

From what I have understood of the investigation, it was a reitred policeman who was linking the DNA profile to the geneology site.
It only linked him to a family member so the investigation ramped up from there and they obtained his DNA and matched it directly.

rosnarun

Quote from: NAG1 on April 30, 2018, 02:33:19 PM

I’d just watched a documentary series about the crimes (Unmasking a Killer, very average and if you’re interested I’d recommend the Criminology podcast season on the case as it’s far better) and afterwards Googled the case to see that he’d been arrested the day before. Surreal. Probably the most infamous unidentifed American serial killer outside of the Zodiac.

They did a big case relaunch and established a new taskforce for the 40th anniversary of the first EAR attacks in 2016, which is what led to this arrest. It’s crazy to think DNA analysis has came so far in 30 years.

I do wonder what the legalities of genology sites sharing users’ DNA with police without a warrant is, though. I’m sure we’ll hear much more about that in the years ahead and maybe even as a defense tactic in this case. They had absolutely no evidence to point to him otherwise so it all hinged on the genology website. It benefited society in this case but just like accessing peoples’ phones or social media data there’s a massive privacy concern.

From what I have understood of the investigation, it was a reitred policeman who was linking the DNA profile to the geneology site.
It only linked him to a family member so the investigation ramped up from there and they obtained his DNA and matched it directly.

my wife just semt away one of those DNA kits recently , results not back yet,
I winder will it be sold to DNA databases all round the world facebook style,
is it all a scam .
should I buy a tinfoil hat
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

In another twist in this story police are investigating possible link between DeAngelo and a 'solved' 1978 murder of a young mother and her son. Thing is another man served 38 years for the murders before being released in November after detectives re-analysed DNA found at the scene with modern technology and found that it did not belong to the convicted. 

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: rosnarun on April 30, 2018, 02:48:40 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on April 30, 2018, 02:33:19 PM

They did a big case relaunch and established a new taskforce for the 40th anniversary of the first EAR attacks in 2016, which is what led to this arrest. It's crazy to think DNA analysis has came so far in 30 years.

my wife just semt away one of those DNA kits recently , results not back yet,
I winder will it be sold to DNA databases all round the world facebook style,
is it all a scam .
should I buy a tinfoil hat

http://thesciencepost.com/what-are-they-not-telling-us-about-tinfoil/

trileacman

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0504/960409-living-donor-transplant-case/

Seemingly the free healthcare that saved your husbands life wasn't good enough and you now deserve a handout from the state for the inconvenience caused by dedicated people trying their best to help you. It is of course the states fault that your 50-year-old piss ravaged kidney did not survive a transplant op into your geriatric bean sprout of a husband.

Someone needs to tell these two that none of their organs could be successfully transplanted because they are two septic cunnts.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Rois

That makes me sick if it is reported right.
I have personal experience of kidney transplants and associated grief. Suing the state??

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on May 04, 2018, 10:57:25 PM
That makes me sick if it is reported right.
I have personal experience of kidney transplants and associated grief. Suing the state??
Sick but not entirely unexpected in modern society.

Mayo4Sam

I came on here to post this. What the actual f**k? They should take the other kidney out of ur man
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

gallsman

screenexile

Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet and not quite sure where to post it so here will do. . . saw this on Sunday morning and must have watched it about 20-30 times since. Rarely does something just nail it and this smacks you right between the eyes it's phenomenal!!

This is America

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: screenexile on May 08, 2018, 10:53:13 AM
Haven't seen this posted anywhere yet and not quite sure where to post it so here will do. . . saw this on Sunday morning and must have watched it about 20-30 times since. Rarely does something just nail it and this smacks you right between the eyes it's phenomenal!!

This is America

I've watched that quite a few times now myself.

Brilliant
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

johnnycool

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 08, 2018, 11:16:31 AM
Quote from: screenexile on May 08, 2018, 10:53:13 AM

This is America

I've watched that quite a few times now myself.

Brilliant

First time watching is certainly a WTF moment as I didn't know what it was about.

Gotta love the comment "How is this not age-restricted? It literally showed him shooting a guy in the head with blood."

The answer is in the title of the song FFS.

Slightest sign of a bit of flesh there'd be loads of restrictions, but fire away, its' all good.

Denn Forever

It is a 2nd amendment right.  Now, if there had been knives.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...