Up for the match

Started by Farrandeelin, September 03, 2016, 10:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I wonder does jim gavin dance like teresa may ;D

Main Street

Not much solidarity for that Tyrone/RTE boycott, most Tyronies it would appear have true love for RTE, the voice of mother Ireland.
The sketches were very good, Brolly and Brogan.

sid waddell

Very poor renewal of this great tradition.

As listless as the rest of the build up to this final has been.

The only highlight was when Sean Cavanagh said "we love a good ambush in Tyrone" and the Tyrone crowd gave it the big one. Bagatelle at the end wasn't too bad.

Needed more drunk Plunkett Donaghy, Vinnie Murphy, John Lynch, Jimmy Keaveney, Kevin McAleer and Finbarr Furey, more drunken yarns and much less "Uachtaran Cumann Luthchleas Gael".

And less Des. It's time to go. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it may be time for the nuclear option of Hectaaaaarrrr.

BennyCake

Kevin McAleer? Sweet Jaysus  ::)

The years have been rough on Vinnie Murphy

bloody mary

Des was woeful. His 'interview' with the wee lad from America was exactly how not to interview a kid, giving him only 'yes' answers, and then one question to his Dad 'you'll be supporting Tyrone?' He'd come from America with his kid who is 8 and still plays football after losing his legs and fingers. Holy Jaysus, a fantastic story and he threw it away through either lack of knowledge/research/interest or just ineptitude. 

Shamrock Shore

If 'Up for the Match' was a horse it would have been put down years ago.

Makes Rose of Tralee look good.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 02, 2018, 09:42:52 AM
If 'Up for the Match' was a horse it would have been put down years ago.

Makes Rose of Tralee look good.

And yet RTE still draws a major audience with both to satisfy the advertisers paying top dollar for prime time exposure.  The RTE demographic for this type of television ensures it will go on and on.

If you don't like it or want it or are embarrassed by it, then don't tune in and add to the viewing figures that keep it alive.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: sid waddell on September 01, 2018, 11:58:23 PM

The only highlight was when Sean Cavanagh said "we love a good ambush in Tyrone" and the Tyrone crowd gave it the big one.

Quite edgy for Cavanagh given that it is patently untrue.

magpie seanie

I usually enjoy Up for the Match - the hurling final one a few weeks back was decent - but this one was plain awful. Earlier posters have me tioned some of the paint drying/cringe moments: Des interviewing the wee lad from the US, Cavanagh, unnecessarily embarrassing Paddy Christie (who is a legend in my book) and the feigned shock when the hockey player revealed her GAA pedigree.....it was poor.

seafoid

At least half of counties have not had an up for the match in the last 20 years
I counted 19 - Sligo, Ros, Leitrim, London, Fermanagh, Derry, Cavan, Monaghan, Antrim, Westmeath, Laois, Offaly, Wicklow, Langford and Carlow

These counties deserve the same treatment as everyone else. An evening of music and GAA nonsense with the occasional pearl such as Joe Hayes

https://youtu.be/hFzUFn0L9nA

Every county has its GAA characters.
RTÉ should run an alternative Up for the match with 2 of the excluded counties per year until every county has had a go. There doesn't have to be a match.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

shark

Quote from: seafoid on September 03, 2018, 04:46:21 PM
I counted 19 - Sligo, Ros, Leitrim, London, Fermanagh, Derry, Cavan, Monaghan, Antrim, Westmeath, Laois, Offaly, Wicklow, Langford and Carlow

These counties deserve the same treatment as everyone else. An evening of music and GAA nonsense with the occasional pearl such as Joe Hayes

RTÉ should run an alternative Up for the match with 2 of the excluded counties per year until every county has had a go. There doesn't have to be a match.

Offaly were in the hurling final in 2000.

BennyCake

Bagatelle, that was brutal. Have they no trad in Dublin? Or jazz? Or anything?

AQMP

Is my memory playing tricks or did it used to be called "Up For The Final"??

seafoid

Quote from: shark on September 03, 2018, 05:16:53 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 03, 2018, 04:46:21 PM

Offaly were in the hurling final in 2000.
Fair enough. Wexford should be included too.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker