Liam Sammon Steps Down/Joe Kernan to take over?

Started by Duine Eile, August 13, 2009, 01:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Eile

Just on Galway Bay that at a meeting last might it was announced he's decided not to go for another year in charge.

GaillimhIarthair

Thats a BIG surprise as he had indicated that he wanted to continue in the role.  Must have done a bit of soul searching since the Donegal match.   

meathie

must say I thought he'd stay on another year.

GalwayBayBoy

Just heard. Strange one. He said 2 weeks ago that he was staying on. Seems there was a meeting between the county board and the players so I wonder did the players have a hand in this? Hard to say if he was pushed or just decided he had done as much as he could. Not sure who'll get the job now. I can't think of many outstanding local candidates and Kevin Walsh is staying on with Sligo. Maybe they will go outside the county again but I thought the football board hadn't a brass farthing to rub together after building the football centre.

Anyway best of luck to Liam.

Duine Eile

Let's just hope Bunty Roche doesn't enter the equation at any stage. Bit of a surprise alright though, he had expressed a desire to continue after the Donegal game but it's widely known that a few of the players weren't happy with Sammon's management,team selections and match tactics so I'm sure that played a part in his decision. Probably the right decision all things considered, best of luck to him. It'll be interesting to see what names are put forward now, as GBB said, the board aren't exactly flush at the moment.

belleaqua

Given the financial situation its highly unlikely but I bet we'l see a comment from Mick O'Dwyer soon talking favourably about the Galway job, think he mentioned it in his book that Galway are a side he'd love to manage. At least they'd be fully fit and might look like they are interested if he did. a long shot but ud never know!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: belleaqua on August 13, 2009, 03:20:59 PM
Given the financial situation its highly unlikely but I bet we'l see a comment from Mick O'Dwyer soon talking favourably about the Galway job, think he mentioned it in his book that Galway are a side he'd love to manage. At least they'd be fully fit and might look like they are interested if he did. a long shot but ud never know!

I'm sure he would take it in a heartbeat if it was offered to him. Might be a bit out of our price range though. ;D

Say what you like about Micko but his teams are always very fit. From what I heard this year the players were not too happy with their physical preparation at all.

joemamas

Liam Salmon seem like a gracious down to earth person.

It was almost refreshing to hear him talk after games.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 13, 2009, 03:25:39 PM

I'm sure he would take it in a heartbeat if it was offered to him. Might be a bit out of our price range though. ;D

Say what you like about Micko but his teams are always very fit. From what I heard this year the players were not too happy with their physical preparation at all.
thats a surprise. Seemed like a nice man who was v unlucky, but had Galways going in the right direction.

With the property developers now being skint, ODywer might be available as a knock down price !

the Deel Rover

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 13, 2009, 04:22:58 PM

thats a surprise. Seemed like a nice man who was v unlucky, but had Galways going in the right direction.

With the property developers now being skint, ODywer might be available as a knock down price !

surely there must be an old hotel or 2 lying idle that could be given to mick o as a sweetner ;) and good luck to Liam sammon allways very gracious either in defeat or victory
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

T Fearon

Will the headlines read

"Sammon leapt,before he was pushed" ;D

SLIGONIAN

Suprised but glad we have our end sorted out so it doesnt affect us.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

JMohan

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 13, 2009, 04:22:58 PM

Maybe NAMA could fund him for Dublin?

cornafean

Quote from: T Fearon on August 13, 2009, 04:29:33 PM
Will the headlines read

"Sammon leapt,before he was pushed" ;D

...or poached?  ;D ;D
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open