Roscommon v Armagh

Started by illdecide, July 02, 2018, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on July 02, 2018, 10:08:37 PM
It's not easy to support the Rossies given that one of them invades every thread with his hyperbole and ad hominem responses, but I'm going to try.
Up the Rossies!

As a representative of Roscommon, I formally do not accept your support.

Best wishes.

Rossfan

Thanks Tub.
Was talking to a pair of fun Herrins chokers who were visiting Ros at the weekend.
They watched the Kildare/Rhubarbs game in a pub in one of our towns.
They couldn't understand how virtually 100% of the local clientele were supporting Kildare.
They said in Galway it would have been 100% for the Rhus.

I told them it's good to learn something new every day.

I'm a bit worried about this game to be honest.
A McGeeney team will be strong and fit so well get nithing handy.
Our Connacht Final nonsense left a lot to be desired on field and sideline and we seemed "gassed" in the last 10/15 minutes.
I'm hoping it was just one of those days and not a sign that the wheels are starting to depart from the wagon.

As said earlier it's either step up and progress or be left where we are - a nice team that can't handle the intensity of serious teams.
Time will tell as it always does.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

This is a game we simply have to win. Armagh are the weakest of the round 3 winners. However we never carry the favourites tag easily, our team are a bit yellow (pardon the pun) and lack bullish intensity when the heat comes on. They have wilted numerous times against Mayo and Galway, also fell apart in Evans last game, when in a great position against Fermanagh. A nice footballing side, lacking a hard edge and mentally weak. If Armagh get a run on us early on they could win easily, if the game is there to be won in the last 10, I would also fancy Armagh. We need to get on top from the get go and keep the score board ticking over. I hear Compton and Lennon are out, 2 big losses if true. Again it's imperative we win this game, we need championship games against the big teams. Time this team stood up in the face of pressure.

Syferus

Quote from: Rudi on July 02, 2018, 10:41:52 PM
This is a game we simply have to win. Armagh are the weakest of the round 3 winners. However we never carry the favourites tag easily, our team are a bit yellow (pardon the pun) and lack bullish intensity when the heat comes on. They have wilted numerous times against Mayo and Galway, also fell apart in Evans last game, when in a great position against Fermanagh. A nice footballing side, lacking a hard edge and mentally weak. If Armagh get a run on us early on they could win easily, if the game is there to be won in the last 10, I would also fancy Armagh. We need to get on top from the get go and keep the score board ticking over. I hear Compton and Lennon are out, 2 big losses if true. Again it's imperative we win this game, we need championship games against the big teams. Time this team stood up in the face of pressure.

The one thing this team have shown this year is the ability to come back in games. They're not mentally brittle in the least, imo. But I don't really expect a slow start anyways.

Rossfan

They came back in nice D2 LEAGUE games.
Even the fillip of the penalty to get the lead v Galway didn't fire them up.
Are Lennon and Compton totally out?
Hopefully Ultan will be fit for the game anyway.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

naka

Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2018, 10:01:22 PM
Joe McQuillan to Ref it I hear.
A disaster for Armagh
We know we are going to get nothing from him

Orior

Quote from: naka on July 03, 2018, 08:02:05 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 02, 2018, 10:01:22 PM
Joe McQuillan to Ref it I hear.
A disaster for Armagh
We know we are going to get nothing from him

Nonsense. He will do his best to referee fairly.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Maroon Manc

Is Compton definitely out? If so he's a loss but to what extent depends on how Armagh play. Will they force Lavin into kicking long? I

If Roscommon get their fair share of possession then I expect them to win. There should be no repeat of the performances against Clare and replay against Mayo last year as the circumstances are very different mainly a 3 week break to get physically and mentally right. The Armagh posters won't like this but Roscommon will bring more to the Super 8's then Armagh would.

lurganblue

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 03, 2018, 08:57:15 AM
Is Compton definitely out? If so he's a loss but to what extent depends on how Armagh play. Will they force Lavin into kicking long? I

If Roscommon get their fair share of possession then I expect them to win. There should be no repeat of the performances against Clare and replay against Mayo last year as the circumstances are very different mainly a 3 week break to get physically and mentally right. The Armagh posters won't like this but Roscommon will bring more to the Super 8's then Armagh would.

Yeah i know what you are saying there, however, if Armagh put on a performance that beats Roscommon then they are there on merit. It would also show that they would have something to offer the super 8s. The opposite is of course true if they dont perform well enough on the day. Some would then see it as a blessing to not be in the super 8s. We are still a little in the dark about the true measure of this Armagh team.

seafoid

I fancy Ros for this one. Not because they are neighbours or because  ní neart go cur le céile. Because they are better. For the following reasons :

-Ros have the best manager. Kevin McStay is far more insightful and effective than McGeeney. #Jaysus.
-Tactically Ros are more likely to get it right in the last 10 minutes when games are won
- It won't be about fitness
-Armagh are missing a lot of players who aren't motivated under the current regime eg Jamie Clarke
-Armagh are behind Ros in terms of the arc of progression- just promoted from D3, not D2
-The Ros lads know how to go for the kill-Connacht Final last year.
-Yeah, Ros lost to the Herrins but only by 4 points . Not 13 as in the other finals
-The last few weeks will have been spent learning from that.
-Losing to the Herrins is no shame.
-The standard in Connacht is higher ; )
- We need Paddy Joe in the Super 8
-Armagh fans had some interesting comments earlier in the summer :

Owen Brannigan

"Nearly prefer a quick kill than to linger on for a few more games.
It's the whole situation of poor football, over programmed players and the more creative ones gone.  Playing with flair and attacking the opposition even if we were beaten wouldn't seem so bad"

"McGeeney is turning out to be like Paddy Mo in charge but less laid back.  It has been depressing to have a series of poor managers after Big Joe stayed on too long and no succession plan was in place as the great team ebbed away"

"We have slipped into the doldrums again, not quite as bad as pre 75 more like pre 99 but like the recession of 2008 and the following years of austerity, the decline seems to have gone on for ever and difficult to see any light at the end of the tunnel. "

smelmoth

"The league campaigns under McGeeney have been atrocious. There were games in Division 1 were we could only name 7 defenders in the panel and one of them was a kid.

Our playing resources have depleted since say 2005. A systematic review might reverse that. But our management have not maximised the returns from our playing resources. That conclusion is unavoidable. 

When we are neither winning nor interesting to watch the crowd will fall away. "

Rossies by whatever.  Connacht abú. 

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

smelmoth

You never know which Armagh are going to turn up.

We have to admit that we were poor for big chunks of the Clare game, Sligo and Westmeath didn't offer much opposition and Fermanagh was a disaster. Division 3 is not great preparation. We are also down to bones in terms of attacking personnel.

We have 3 longer term issues. We struggle against teams that are good at off the shoulder running. And we struggle against packed defences. Generally the worse a team is to watch the better they will do against Armagh. Thirdly we can be awful in the tackle. Not dirty, just inaccurate. It can be a form of sporting suicide. It harms us more than the opponent.

Up sides are there is still potential in that side and there is certainly heart and determination.

The key to which Armagh turns up is the set up. We play an attractive attacking brand of football. Our options are stick with what we know and test it against a higher level opponent or go defensive. We did this last year on the QF. It didn't go well

seafoid

Round 4 is harder than the previous rounds with all the chaff. Things are faster and decision making has to be top notch. It should be a good match
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

Quote from: lurganblue on July 03, 2018, 09:16:39 AM

Yeah i know what you are saying there, however, if Armagh put on a performance that beats Roscommon then they are there on merit. It would also show that they would have something to offer the super 8s. The opposite is of course true if they dont perform well enough on the day. Some would then see it as a blessing to not be in the super 8s. We are still a little in the dark about the true measure of this Armagh team.

Absolutely, couldn't disagree with that.

stephenite

Quote from: Syferus on July 02, 2018, 10:18:15 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 02, 2018, 10:08:37 PM
It's not easy to support the Rossies given that one of them invades every thread with his hyperbole and ad hominem responses, but I'm going to try.
Up the Rossies!

As a representative of Roscommon, I formally do not accept your support.

Best wishes.

Best wishes to the Stephenites this weekend against Armagh

Rufus T Firefly

The Armagh posters won't like this but Roscommon will bring more to the Super 8's then Armagh would.

Yes, don't like it but I'd think there is a lot of truth in it.

Quote from: smelmoth on July 03, 2018, 10:03:42 AM
You never know which Armagh are going to turn up. We have to admit that we were poor for big chunks of the Clare game, Sligo and Westmeath didn't offer much opposition and Fermanagh was a disaster. Division 3 is not great preparation. We are also down to bones in terms of attacking personnel.

We have 3 longer term issues. We struggle against teams that are good at off the shoulder running. And we struggle against packed defences. Generally the worse a team is to watch the better they will do against Armagh. Thirdly we can be awful in the tackle. Not dirty, just inaccurate. It can be a form of sporting suicide. It harms us more than the opponent.

Up sides are there is still potential in that side and there is certainly heart and determination.

The key to which Armagh turns up is the set up. We play an attractive attacking brand of football. Our options are stick with what we know and test it against a higher level opponent or go defensive. We did this last year on the QF. It didn't go well

Good post. Agree with a lot of that and only to add that the absence of so many players - through choice - really reduces our potency. If we had a full hand, I think we would be pushing for a Super 8 place on merit. I just feel the impact of these absences will come to pass sooner rather than later, and as soon as Saturday. I'll be very pleasantly surprised if we make the Super 8s.