The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 15, 2018, 03:12:02 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 15, 2018, 12:33:24 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 14, 2018, 08:29:22 PM
Just watched the live coverage Galway v Mayo game there. I know it was not a great game but ffs those fellas analysing would depress the life out of you. New season, same oul dreary analysis. I barely want to watch another match this season after listening to them.

Tired format, same old story every year, appalling highlights of the games that aren't carried live on the evening show as well. Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke really need to be out out to pasture at this point.
I watched the match back last night and the "expert analysis" is nearly beyond parody at this stage it is so bad, just absolutely useless, what value do RTE add to their GAA coverage besides just carrying the live matches? Nothing. RTE and the GAA will point to viewer figures but the reality is that it would be watched by exact the same people regardless of what channel it's on.
Have stopped watching the RTE analysis long ago and i hear its still the same worn out gimmicks desperately seeking attention. The commentary of Ger Canning and Dessie Dolan was awful last Sunday and its not going to get better as Martin Carney,Tommy Carr are even worse.

When is Ger Canning going to retire? He is brutal. When giving the option, I select the Irish language commentary rather than listen to him. Only understand some of it, but it's better than listening to Canning.

I wish they'd give us the option of no commentary. I like just watching a match without some bollix shouting in my ear.

Itchy

Quote from: BennyCake on May 15, 2018, 05:23:37 PM
Just watched the live coverage Galway v Mayo game there. I know it was not a great game but ffs those fellas analysing would depress the life out of you. New season, same oul dreary analysis. I barely want to watch another match this season after listening to them.

Tired format, same old story every year, appalling highlights of the games that aren't carried live on the evening show as well. Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke really need to be out out to pasture at this point.
I watched the match back last night and the "expert analysis" is nearly beyond parody at this stage it is so bad, just absolutely useless, what value do RTE add to their GAA coverage besides just carrying the live matches? Nothing. RTE and the GAA will point to viewer figures but the reality is that it would be watched by exact the same people regardless of what channel it's on.
Have stopped watching the RTE analysis long ago and i hear its still the same worn out gimmicks desperately seeking attention. The commentary of Ger Canning and Dessie Dolan was awful last Sunday and its not going to get better as Martin Carney,Tommy Carr are even worse.

When is Ger Canning going to retire? He is brutal. When giving the option, I select the Irish language commentary rather than listen to him. Only understand some of it, but it's better than listening to Canning.

I wish they'd give us the option of no commentary. I like just watching a match without some bollix shouting in my ear.

Turn down the volume.

Targetman

Tomas O Shea is a complete bluffer, he hadn't a clue what he was waffling about at half time, was a great player but talks pure shite!!

longballin

Don't know why a lot of people listen to the pundits as they do nothing but moan about them

longballin

BennyHarp

Quote from: longballin on May 15, 2018, 07:45:31 PM
Don't know why a lot of people listen to the pundits as they do nothing but moan about them

And you wonder why these pundits (why didn't you call them ex-gaa players by the way? :o) watch the matches as they do nothing but moan about them.
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 15, 2018, 08:00:26 PM

And you wonder why these pundits (why didn't you call them ex-gaa players by the way? :o) watch the matches as they do nothing but moan about them.

Because the fare was poor? Just because Ulster lads are used to that muck it doesn't mean the rest of us are happy watching it.

longballin

Quote from: Syferus on May 15, 2018, 08:30:54 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 15, 2018, 08:00:26 PM

Because the fare was poor? Just because Ulster lads are used to that muck it doesn't mean the rest of us are happy watching it.

Not everyone in Ulster liked it. It's dirt

BennyCake

Quote from: Itchy on May 15, 2018, 06:23:07 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 15, 2018, 05:23:37 PM

Turn down the volume.

The button is stuck.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Targetman on May 15, 2018, 07:18:04 PM
Tomas O Shea is a complete bluffer, he hadn't a clue what he was waffling about at half time, was a great player but talks pure shite!!

This. He comes across as pretty dumb.
#newbridgeornowhere

Seany

I think he's excellent.  Much better also on podcasts when he can talk more freely.  RTE gives you about 20 seconds max to answer a question. 

Maroon Manc

There's not much time to talk about the game when you have Brolly ranting, Brolly's time on the TSG is up. We all know what's he going to say and its boring and most of us are tried of listening to him.

The game has moved on and its time to hear more from players who've recently retired or from those who are still coaching. There's easily room for a guest appearance each week from a manager who's still active.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 17, 2018, 10:39:42 AM
There's not much time to talk about the game when you have Brolly ranting, Brolly's time on the TSG is up. We all know what's he going to say and its boring and most of us are tried of listening to him.

The game has moved on and its time to hear more from players who've recently retired or from those who are still coaching. There's easily room for a guest appearance each week from a manager who's still active.

Also, just to say I watched that game Sunday night as I taped it and watched it when I came back from Portlaoise. It wasn't the best game ever, and Galway were certainly cautious, but it wasn't the horror show people were saying either.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 17, 2018, 10:41:35 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 17, 2018, 10:39:42 AM

Also, just to say I watched that game Sunday night as I taped it and watched it when I came back from Portlaoise. It wasn't the best game ever, and Galway were certainly cautious, but it wasn't the horror show people were saying either.

I watched it again and you're right, clearly not a classic their were some good moments from both teams they could have talked about at half time and after the match but once again they prefer to rant and run down the game.

Beffs

Quote from: Seany on May 17, 2018, 10:17:09 AM
I think he's excellent.  Much better also on podcasts when he can talk more freely.  RTE gives you about 20 seconds max to answer a question.

Then why does he waste half that time by starting very single sentence with "Ah sure, d'ya know Des, lookit, I suppose sure I think I suppose...."

The man can not give a straight answer to a simple question to save his life. Comes across as a bit too vague for my liking, as if he's waiting for the producers to tell him what to say into his earpiece. He's not, but that's how he comes across.