Mayo v Armagh- Round 3 Qualifier

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 24, 2019, 11:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 30, 2019, 10:00:04 AM
Armagh have had their critics within and outside the county in relation to their tackling.  Last night they answered those critics, tacking has improved and the number of turnovers is evidence of some great work.

Likewise, McGeeney has been criticised for his game plan and the style of play but this championship run has shown that he has evolved the style of play to one which is very effective.  He has never been a lucky manager and that Armagh team would have beaten any of the other four teams playing last night, Offaly, Laois, Westmeath and Clare.  They would have been different games but Armagh are a top ahead of them.  Similarly, given the poor display by Kildare, Armagh would have been fit for them.

Each year we see the qualifier draws produce some level of head scratching when games for TV seem to be drawn. With all the changes to the championship being proposed and based on league performance, surely a the time for seeding the draws is here.  Each qualifier draw should be abandoned and the 8/16 teams ranked according to league position and then automatically have 1 play 8, 2 play 6, etc.  Make the league count even more in the knockout competition and avoid elimination of better teams while weaker move on the the next round on a supposedly random basis.

We now look forward to some very lopsided games in the Super 8s when the top teams separate each other by how much they thump the weak sides thrown up by the qualifier draw.

If it sounds like sour grapes, believe it.

I'd have said the high number of turnovers was at least partially based on Mayo continually trying to run the ball through the centre, right through the centre of Armagh's defence and into contact.
I thought Mayo's running game played right into Armagh's hands (no pun intended). Having said that Armagh's tackling did look better and Donaghy had one absolute peach of a turnover.

highorlow

Geezer is no doubt an unlucky manager. From the off Deegan was giving us soft frees, I think Andy bought the first pointed free when really he wasn't fouled.

The game was played in a sporting manner apart from some handbags at half time. Armagh will be back and will fancy an ulster title next year.

Anyhow we are the walking wounded after that so Cork or Galway in the draw would finish us I reckon.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Aaron Boone

Quote from: highorlow on June 30, 2019, 12:28:04 PM
Geezer is no doubt an unlucky manager. From the off Deegan was giving us soft frees, I think Andy bought the first pointed free when really he wasn't fouled.

The game was played in a sporting manner apart from some handbags at half time. Armagh will be back and will fancy an ulster title next year.

Anyhow we are the walking wounded after that so Cork or Galway in the draw would finish us I reckon.
Agreed  Mayo are finished.

galwayman

We wouldn't turn ye over the way we are going this year.

Blowitupref

Geezer is no doubt an unlucky manager. From the off Deegan was giving us soft frees, I think Andy bought the first pointed free when really he wasn’t fouled.

Deegan seems to be one of those refs that gets easily influenced by the roars of the home crowd. I'll be very surprised if Mayo didn't beat Cork while a game v Galway would be harder to call.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Mayo4Sam

I did a lot of giving out about Deegan in the first half, Armagh were allowed take as many steps as they wanted.
Shields was the cause of two frees being brought from outside the scoring zone, the one in the first half when o'Shea grabbed him to push him back was particularly stupid

Too many of our lads underperforming, Harrison is getting cleaned on a regular basis, Barrett, Doc, although he was a bit better yesterday, McLoughlin was poor outside of the 1-1, Keegan was poor up until he went off. It's very worrying.

I saw nothing to suggest Murray is ready for inter county just yet, Treacy the same 

The turn overs were criminal towards the end, started with Aidan passing a 10 yard free to Armagh. I think McGeeney missed a trick by not pushing up on our kick outs, they did it for five minutes in the first half and we were in bother and put us under serious pressure for the last 15

The positives were McDonaghs first half, Coen's point scoring and Horan's earlier changes

I'd love a crack at Galway, I f**king hate them. A win against them would put us in the Donegal Kerry group which I'd much prefer
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

blast05

With respect, but that's an awful lot of bollocks fitted into 1 post. I can only presume you watched on the TV while drinking a few pints in a bar.
Soft frees ?? .... i have never in all the games of football i have watched, ever seen a team persistently foul as much as Armagh did in the first half. FFS, Deegans hand was nearly up indicating an advantage for Mayo for half the bloody first half. If he had blown the whistle every time, then there would have been no play at all. Not a single repercussion for all this .... not even a tick. Cynical, dirty fouls. But good luck to them, they got it away with it  ... but don't come out with a complete BS of a 1st half analysis saying Mayo got soft frees

And in the second half .... what were the 2 Armagh frees near the end of the game for  - both of them close to the McHale Road sideline, one of which O'Neill kicked wide ???? No more or less soft than the frees that Cillian kicked. Or are we only allowed to highlight a debatable free if it is scored ?

tonto1888

Quote from: blast05 on June 30, 2019, 03:01:50 PM

With respect, but that's an awful lot of bollocks fitted into 1 post. I can only presume you watched on the TV while drinking a few pints in a bar.
Soft frees ?? .... i have never in all the games of football i have watched, ever seen a team persistently foul as much as Armagh did in the first half. FFS, Deegans hand was nearly up indicating an advantage for Mayo for half the bloody first half. If he had blown the whistle every time, then there would have been no play at all. Not a single repercussion for all this .... not even a tick. Cynical, dirty fouls. But good luck to them, they got it away with it  ... but don't come out with a complete BS of a 1st half analysis saying Mayo got soft frees

And in the second half .... what were the 2 Armagh frees near the end of the game for  - both of them close to the McHale Road sideline, one of which O'Neill kicked wide ???? No more or less soft than the frees that Cillian kicked. Or are we only allowed to highlight a debatable free if it is scored ?

I would suggest you haven't seen many games of football then. So deegans hand was constantly up? What about it? It wasn't up rightly. The two frees at the end, one of them was for a push on Clarke anyway. I'm not blaming the ref for us losing by the way, we have only ourselves to blame tor that

From the Bunker

Referees are human. They tend as i said earlier to give decisions to teams further up the food chain. Home crowds can influence them as well. Mayo have had their fair share of suffering when it comes to Dublin and Kerry over the last couple of years. It's the way of the world and will never change in the GAA. You just have to be that couple of points better to beat the better team, tight games will more than likely be won by the higher up county.

I find it strange Mayo talking of the future. There is going to a bit of decline before we can make some sort of challenge again. And we might never reach the heights this last group reached. The Dublin machine is the scariest thing i have seen in my 41 years of watching football. It's quiet depressing when you look at where Gaelic football was at 15 years ago.

Dougal Maguire

As a matter of interest what would have happened had it been a draw after extra time?
Careful now

befair

(1) We are witnessing the slow demise of the great Mayo team (2) Blame the ref, always the loser's excuse.

Wildweasel74

U nothing to cry about refs if u saw the semi assault in the limerick tipp hurling game with the ref 4m from it and didn't even  blow a free. A damn disgrace. .

Throw ball

Quote from: befair on June 30, 2019, 05:20:26 PM
(1) We are witnessing the slow demise of the great Mayo team (2) Blame the ref, always the loser's excuse.

Befair much of the criticism of the referee is coming from non Armagh people.

For what it is worth my problem with refereeing is that watching the referees over the Monaghan and Mayo matches you would think 2 different games are being played. We need greater consistency on how games are refereed. Maybe then the games will improve and players/ supporters will be less annoyed.

tonto1888

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 30, 2019, 05:22:38 PM
U nothing to cry about refs if u saw the semi assault in the limerick tipp hurling game with the ref 4m from it and didn't even  blow a free. A damn disgrace. .

That's a different sport

tonto1888

Quote from: befair on June 30, 2019, 05:20:26 PM

Who has blamed the ref? A lot of people, many from outside Armagh, have said he was poor. Which he was. We lost due to errors and missed chances tho