painting help

Started by snoopdog, September 25, 2012, 12:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

hi all,
im looking to paint the doors and skirting in my house they have been stained before and dont look great. Dont want to use gloss due to the strong smell.
Any advise of alternative not so strong smelling paint. Young child in house so something quick drying.
Would i also need to use an undercoat.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

johnneycool

Quote from: snoopdog on September 25, 2012, 12:52:17 PM
hi all,
im looking to paint the doors and skirting in my house they have been stained before and dont look great. Dont want to use gloss due to the strong smell.
Any advise of alternative not so strong smelling paint. Young child in house so something quick drying.

If they're oak use a bit of wire wool and wax which you can apply with a cloth, stinks to high heavens, but dries quickly.

If it's an undercoat and matt/gloss finish then I think there are ones which do dry quickly, paint them when the youngsters in bed!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: snoopdog on September 25, 2012, 12:52:17 PM
hi all,
You can get low odour, low VOC top coat. To get a hardwearing top coat you will still need to go for something oil-based so you will have to put up with some level of fumes.

You will probably need a couple of coats of a decent primer and undercoat prior to that to ensure the woodstain gets killed off. Pity you!

dubai2000

Folks,

Am looking a clear stain for a pretty large fence. Any advice on types? Would want something that is waterproof and sunproof.
I can't see any at local hardware store.

Thanks in advance.