Orlando

Started by new devil, June 22, 2010, 03:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new devil

Heading down in a few weeks..will be there for 7/8 days....whats the must do things? what theme parks & water parks are best etc
thanks for any help given  :)

Minder

There is a small, little known park that is very popular, forget the name of it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

David McKeown

Quote from: new devil on June 22, 2010, 03:22:09 AM
Heading down in a few weeks..will be there for 7/8 days....whats the must do things? what theme parks & water parks are best etc

If you have weeins the new Harry Potter park at universal is supposed to be excellent, I always liked Islands of Adventures there as well.  If you dont have kids I recommend Busch Gardens in Tampa, havent been in a few years but last time i was there it was excellent but with very small crowds.  That said 90% of their rides close in a thunderstorm.

Away from the parks I always enjoyed World of Wonder at Point Orlando and Cirque Du Soleli at Downtown Disney.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Hardy

Quote from: Minder on June 22, 2010, 07:52:33 AM
There is a small, little known park that is very popular, forget the name of it.

Excellent.

Why would you be going to Orlando if you don't have kids, btw?

tyrone girl

Quote from: new devil on June 22, 2010, 03:22:09 AM

All depends on whether or not you have kids with you as to what parks you would go to. Magic Kingdom some decent rides but more kid orientated. Epcot - more teenage kid / adult orientated, animal kingdom is good , loved universal and islands of adventure - the latter has some excellent rides.
Obviously tho in 7 or 8 days your not gonna fit in half of what you will want to see so you will have to prioritise. Wet and wild is a good water park - right on International Drive if your staying anywhere near there it will be handy. Blizzard Beach and the Disney water parks are excellent also.
Kennedy space centre is excellent - obviously not in Orlando but a good day trip if you wanted one.
Make sure ya go to the Ponderosa on International Drive for a feed - yum

tyrone exile

The funny thing is he wont be going with kids, but he has the mind of a child, so disney sounds right up his street!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Hardy on June 22, 2010, 10:30:43 AM
Quote from: Minder on June 22, 2010, 07:52:33 AM

Excellent.

Why would you be going to Orlando if you don't have kids, btw?

30 "kids" went a few years ago and we had the best time ever, Busch Gardens highly recommended and Wet and Wild.  We went in January and there was very little queueing, but I would think if you are heading now in the summer it will be mental.

tyrone girl

Yep any time i have been there its been in July/ August and its mental. Serious queues etc for rides - try to use fast pass system if you can. Roasting as well in summer especially when walking round the parks.

ross4life

both Universal's parks, Seaworld are a must & you can get a special deal on all three online, Universal's is where most the nightlife is too but it closes at 2am sharp

Wet & wild (waterpark) is worth a visit on hot day & make sure you avail of the good buffets on International Drive, downtown Orlando is a kip

been twice to Orlando & didn't bother with Disney, each park has only one or two good rides & Universal, Busch Gardens in Tampa are much better value, the Key to beating the queues at the parks is to enter when they open

Space Kennedy experience is a good tour & some tours they include the Airboat on the everglades

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Puckoon

Orlando is swarming with prods. And other non catholics.

Buyer beware.

the waffler

sea world was great for eating the golden coral  $11 all you can eat spuds steak roast beef sprouts a change from the usual fast food dirt

lynchbhoy

Orlando isnt for kids !
International drive a couple of years ago at least was a bit gaudy and needs a lick of paint (in comparison to everything being new and bright when I first went there in 1998).
Decent bars and food places on I-drive.
I think Universal studios is a must. Great place. Great rides.Check out the ticket deals in advance from the posts onhere. I went early and didnt need the fast pass thingy.

Disney is fantastic. Epcot in the afternoon until it closes (so you can see the fireworks and laser display over the lake) is great. All the individual ethnic exhibits. Fantastic.
Magic kingdom is nice.Dont be put off. Animal kingdom wasnt great, but it was only just opened when I went there. Wasnt in any of the other places.

Wasnt at sea world.

If the missus likes shopping, the florida mall is decent, then there are two outlets north and south of the area.

Its an enjoyable holiday. Once theres no hurricanes !

David McKeown

Thinking of heading with my better half for three weeks in summer anyone recommend where to stay

Used to always stayin the Clarion Plaza on I DRive but it became the Rosen plaza a few years back and I didn't think it as good.

ross4life

I was in Orlando on business for a few days in November, stayed in the Rosen Inn good location & value, was my second time to stay there much improved from the time it was called Rodeway Inn.

Three weeks seems a little long though i suppose your using it as a base?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

David McKeown

It's 19 days honestly. The only reason it's soo long is because there was about £4 difference between staying 10 nights and staying 19 (including hotel and car hire). As my better half has never been and I haven't been in 4 years I just thought feck it for £4 quid.  False economy I suppose.

The hotels offered were:

Monumental Hotel
Rosen Plaza
Rosen Shingle Creek
Peabody
Hilton Sea World
Hilton Doubletree