The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

botman

Christ what did Ridsdale do before he took over at Leeds. Was he involved with Enron ? I think I could make a better stab at being chairman than him !

No real love for Leeds though - kinda glad that they are shit.
Keep them at it.

Guillem2

The final actual price paid for Rio was £14m. The initial down payment was £8m with £5m to be paid 12 months later. The rest of the £30m figure was to be paid in installments over 5 years and depended on Manchester Utd winning the league & champions league. Leeds were in difficulties and asked Utd for the £5m figure early. United gave them £6m as final settlement.
Typical of the type of poor financial dealing carried on by Leeds at the time. Good times are just around the corner.  ???
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Spiritof98

Firstly, I have took a pop at Leeds in the past and as a Man Utd supporter I feel I have to considering I know everyone of them hates me.

But they did sell us Eric and we have to be greatful, Eric Cantona remember him! :D

Seriously, I do feel for Leeds, purely as a football fan I have come to detest the practice of empty grounds in the Premiership. Teams like Blackburn getting 11,000 for a p'ship game is disgusting, theres more, Wigan, Middlesboro etc

On football terms these team have as much right as anyone to be there and their boards have to take great credit, but a Leeds team in the premiership would mean a packed house and it only helps to make it a better premiership, this also applies to Sheff Wed/Sunderland etc. Half full stadia just seems to leave a sour taste in the mouth as a football fan.

Man Utd supporters have beed quoted as being delighted about Leeds situation, but I would much rather the rivalry to actually be a rivalry were can pit ourselves against them every year.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Billys Boots

Sorry to have missed the first few days of this.  As a Leeds fan since 1972, when people look at me like I am certifiable, I mention that Leeds (really only in the company of Ajax Amsterdam) were the side that revolutionised soccer in the late 70s/early 70s - coming from unfashionable places, with f*ck-all money, they built extraordinarily competitive sides.  While Ajax won three European Cups, Leeds trophy cabinet didn't reflect their dominance - they appeared to finish 2nd in everything for nearly 10 years, most excruciatingly (and unfairly) in the 1975 European Cup to Bayern Munich.  An eight-year sojourn in Div2 (as the Championship was then called) in the 1980s/early 90s ended with a triumphant return to the pinnacle, with Leeds winning the last Div1 title in 1992.

It seems inevitable that next year will result in a spell in League One, but it seems incredible that a city of Leeds' size can't produce a soccer club of more power - it can only be a matter of time before the club resumes its unseemly rivalry with the red hordes across the Pennines?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rossi

Interesting read on how club was financed from 99 and the subsequent downfall

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,1160988,00.html

Mourne Rover

If anyone is interested, the Leeds v Spurs game from 2000, which finished 4-3 for us, is on ESPN (Sky channel 442) at 11pm tonight. At that stage, we had a young Irish manager, we were regularly fielding four Irish players - Gary Kelly, Ian Harte, Stephen McPhail and Alan Maybury - with Robbie Keane joining shortly and we were about to go on a charge through the Champions League. It doesn't really seem that long ago.

Rufus T Firefly

Leeds did the bizzo last night with a big win at Hull  ;D and promptly went bottom after Southend won at Birmingham!  :(

Still, Alan Thompson appears to be a bit of a class act at this level and quite an astute signing. He scored at home to West Brom and repeated the dose last night with a great free kick, having already set up the first goal!

Despite going bottom, moves that bit closer to those above - Barnsley won, but Luton and QPR appear to be on the wane!   :-*

Spiritof98

Raging for use Rufus as Biringham let down my bet last night, AT Home!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Spiritof98 on January 31, 2007, 08:57:33 AM
Raging for use Rufus as Biringham let down my bet last night, AT Home!

That's why they lost - you had them backed!   >:(

Anyway - pass on my congratulations to the younger brother!  ;)

Billys Boots

QuoteLeeds did the bizzo last night with a big win at Hull 

Makes up for losing at home to them in September I s'pose.  Need a few big performances in the next month tho.

Rossi

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 31, 2007, 09:06:38 AM
QuoteLeeds did the bizzo last night with a big win at Hull

Makes up for losing at home to them in September I s'pose. Need a few big performances in the next month tho.

Did they not draw 0-0 with Hull just before the christmas?Anyway may be bottom but at least 2 points closer to safety than the start of the day.The main worry for now is injuries, 2 more picked up last night, Lewis and Healy (suspected broken arm).

Billys Boots

I think you're right Rossi, I must have been getting mixed up with one of the endless other pitiful home losses.

Spiritof98

Quote from: Rossi on January 31, 2007, 10:38:35 AM

The main worry for now is injuries, 2 more picked up last night, Lewis and Healy (suspected broken arm).

I guess no deadline day move for Healy

I see Leeds signed a keeper this morning, Casper Ankergren from Bronby

paddypastit

Flo is out too for eight weeks with a broken bone in his foot.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Rufus T Firefly

One step forward - two steps back!  :-[  And of course - an old boy did the damage. Huckerby was well off a regular place at Elland Road - now he's turning the knife! Was hopeful about this match and of course when Leeds went 1-0 up. Didn't last though.

Wise talking the talk after, but without Flo and Healy, goals are going to be scarce!

Just a thought - can the new keeper play up front?  :-\