Football hall of Fame?

Started by cadhlancian, September 03, 2009, 06:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

I have been living here now in the states for over a decade ( love that word ;D), and have become a big follower of most of the american sports. Each one has its own "hall of Fame ", basically an enshrinement that lauds the greats of each respective sport. Most of them has its own "unofficial " entry requirements, e.g Baseballs 3000 hits is regarded as almighty accomplishment, and most of the time is a Guarantee for entry. Also , players need to be retired at least 5 years I believe, to be voted in. What type of guidelines do you think would make you a candidate for A GAA football hall of fame? Discuss, and add some names who you put in, and who you leave out in the rain!

cadhlancian

personally I think a player would need to have at LEAST 2 all stars to warrant consideration.

boojangles

I think an All-Ireland Senior would have to be a requirement.

cadhlancian

Boojangles I dont think so actually, plenty of great players with no Sams, to refer back to the US sports, Dan Marino was of the greatest QBs to ever play the game, however never one the big one ,,,,, he got in first year he was eligible

ziggysego

Quote from: boojangles on September 03, 2009, 06:08:01 PM

So it Tyrone didn't won the All-Ireland in 2003 and 2005, Peter Canavan couldn't be included?
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

Quote from: boojangles on September 03, 2009, 06:08:01 PM
You'd be leaving out a lot of fine players then.

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

AFS

Quote from: cadhlancian on September 03, 2009, 06:05:29 PM
personally I think a player would need to have at LEAST 2 all stars to warrant consideration.

So no one from before 1972 then?

stew

Quote from: AFS on September 03, 2009, 07:52:02 PM
Quote from: cadhlancian on September 03, 2009, 06:05:29 PM

So no one from before 1972 then?

:D :D :D

Imagine for example the criteria to get in being at least one AI senior medal, then imagine Frank McGuigan and Peter McGinnity not in it based on said criteria, how much sense does that make?

The criteria to get in should be tenure for club & county as well as at least provincial representation multiple times, it should also include the impact players had on the games and possibly their contributions to the GAA in their career.

I would love to see a hall of fame for Gaelic Athletes, I think it would be a wonderful legacy for those lucky enough to be inducted and I hope it happens.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

No way ref

ok then they have to be really really good

stew

Quote from: No way ref on September 03, 2009, 08:21:54 PM
ok then they have to be really really good

Not good enough, they have to be legends of the game, they would have to be the best players of their generation, the absolute elite.

ONeill

If there was one nomination from every county (32 man squad), I wouldn't like to be the man deciding on the Kerry wan. I'd say Canavan would beat off McGuigan and Jones in Tyrone in a poll. Kevin Armstrong of Antrim. Jim McKeever, Derry. Sean O'Neill, Down. Peter McGinnity, Donegal. Nudie Hughes, Monaghan. Cavan's from the 30-50 era tough. McHugh of Donegal? Armagh....Corvan? Dublin - Keaveney? Purcell of Galway?

That'd be some poll.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

No way ref

Quote from: ONeill on September 03, 2009, 09:47:38 PM
If there was one nomination from every county (32 man squad), I wouldn't like to be the man deciding on the Kerry wan. I'd say Canavan would beat off McGuigan and Jones in Tyrone in a poll. Kevin Armstrong of Antrim. Jim McKeever, Derry. Sean O'Neill, Down. Peter McGinnity, Donegal. Nudie Hughes, Monaghan. Cavan's from the 30-50 era tough. McHugh of Donegal? Armagh....Corvan? Dublin - Keaveney? Purcell of Galway?

That'd be some poll.

eh? Fermanagh people are paranoid enough without taking Mc Ginnity away from them

mylestheslasher

Obviously the criteria would have to be set in a way that Tyrone players that won nothing would still qualify based on playing a couple of good games ;). Of course a hall of fame should only include players who have won major honours otherwise you'll be putting everyone on the list.

lilpaulie85

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 03, 2009, 10:04:06 PM
Of course a hall of fame should only include players who have won major honours otherwise you'll be putting everyone on the list.

Great player do not always have the team around them required to win major honours
Chase the dream not the competition.

stew

Quote from: ONeill on September 03, 2009, 09:47:38 PM

That'd be some poll.

McGinnity is and was a Fermanagh man.

The best players are the best players regardless of what county they hail from, Kerry would have the most obviously as well they should followed by Dublin and Cork etc.

Individual merit would mean that both McGuigan and wee peter would make it without having to compete, who the feck would you take from Kilkenny or Sligo in your scenario Shane?

The way the yanks do it the sports writers decide who gets in and who does not, for me though the likes of Art McGinn of Armagh Harps should be the calibre of person who decides, GAA historians should get to decide just who gets in and who does not, that would keep us going on this board for years.