Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

restorepride

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 13, 2023, 05:05:54 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on July 13, 2023, 04:37:29 PM
You're a tough crowd Benny  ;D

Tbh parts of what you say I would agree with. Derry play very much to systems etc and they haven't really played a team yet who's good enough to break that system down. This weekend they probably will play a team who's good enough to break that system down.

It's really hard to know how this will go and how Kerry will react to Derry's system. If they find a way then I think it's them by about what Galway did last year but if they don't this could be a dogged affair like Kerry Tyrone 2 years ago.

+1

I personally think Derry have 6-7 players that would get in any side. McKaigue, McKinless, Glass, Rogers, McCloskey, Ethan Doherty, Shane McGuigan.
There's a strong supporting cast there too with Conor Doherty, McEvoy, Paul Cassidy.
We are light in the forward division right now, but I do think when Murray and McWilliams force their way through or recover from injury that will improve us massively. Perhaps get Emmet Bradley back in the fold too.

That's not saying I think we are better than Kerry.
But I do think if we put in a performance where we dont lose focus, maintain the high energy game we have and stick to the system, that we have the players that can really hurt Kerry whilst also having the players to make sure the Kerry attack don't run riot. We'll never restrict them to small scores such is the talent they have, so we have to do what we can defensively and hope the attacking game clicks on the day.

There's a lot of ifs and but there, so conversely, if it doesn't click and we don't restrict the Kerry forward unit, we could get a hiding.

My hope is that Kerry will focus heavily on restricting McGuigan, which will allow us to get our half backs and half forwards more into the attacking positions. I'm sure Kerry will have a plan to stop Mcloskey running from deep too, so it just remains to be seen how effective he can be.

I'm really looking forward to it. It is a free swing for Derry imo. Written off playing current AI champions, no massive expectations from within the county other than a hope to pull off an upset, and a stepping stone towards progression with Div1 football on the horizon next year.
And we all love a shock in football - maybe this will be it :)
An early lead would help as well!  Reading McQuillan's mood early on too could be crucial.  ;D

Blowitupref

From gaelicstatsman

Kerry's route to the Semi final.

Derry's route to the semi final

Who's done the scoring for Kerry

Who's done the scoring for Derry

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

restorepride

Here, we scored a pile of goals from penalties as well, you know!!!

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

restorepride

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 13, 2023, 10:21:04 PM
Teams and subs named.

Are all them Kerry boys the same height?  Bit of AI going on?!!

Wildweasel74

Just after watching the 1st half of the Cork game, christ we were bad, should been 6 up at half time playing crap.

JoG2

screenexile

Judging by the current media round there's no point in turning up everyone wants a Kerry Dublin final to "save football"

We might as well just stop playing the game altogether and let Kerry and Dublin play every game between themselves!

tbrick18

Quote from: screenexile on July 14, 2023, 11:34:25 AM
Judging by the current media round there's no point in turning up everyone wants a Kerry Dublin final to "save football"

We might as well just stop playing the game altogether and let Kerry and Dublin play every game between themselves!

Yeah the sanctimonious sh*te would sicken ye.
Derry v Monaghan final.  ;D

Mario

Part of me would love it if we beat them 9-8 in a slugfest to see the media meltdown. It would be Derry's fault no doubt despite taking two teams to set up that way to get such a result.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

It's perfect for Derry I'd imagine, all this talk of Kerry v Dublin final suits them fine. I hope it doesn't seep into Kerry squad at all. Don't need that to take the edge off.

I think most clued in people realise that while Dublin really should be well over Monaghan on Saturday, it would be no surprise at all if the game Sunday is a tight one.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Fuzzman

It is well set up for Derry to spring a surprise.
Derry's poor enough performance against Cork in the last match, drawing with Armagh and Monaghan earlier.
Then Kerry looking very good against Tyrone putting up a very disciplined defensive display.

Kerry know how to win semis and will hardly be underestimating Derry but who knows on the day.
Surely this is Derry's biggest game in the last thirty years (well since last years semi :-)
Donegal won their second title after twenty years so could Derry do it in thirty? ;-)

You would imagine they will have one big performance in them which is what teams have to do to get over the line.
They've already showed their not totally dependent on McGuigan for scores and will have learnt a lot from the last Kerry match where Kerry finally showed their hand.

I think this could be a lot closer than people think and it could come down to how well Clifford is kept quiet again.
When is the last time Derry met Kerry in the championship? Have they never beaten them?
Down, Cavan, Armagh and Monaghan have.

Sportacus

Think Kerry will be too good for Derry, same as Dublin were in the National League.  The top teams are out in front.

LC

Quote from: Sportacus on July 14, 2023, 02:38:21 PM
Think Kerry will be too good for Derry, same as Dublin were in the National League.  The top teams are out in front.

Derry were putting it up to Dublin in the first half of the league final.....Dublin stepped it up a gear in the second half and it was soon game over.  They have the talent and squad depth that will allow them to do this similar to Kerry.  Derry still do not have the depth in the squad necessary for an AI and I believe this will be exposed again on Sunday.

Wildweasel74

It's not as if good players we let go, Jack Doherty was very badly handled, and I Think with the right chat with E, bradley, would brought him bck in late to. Dan Higgins, also should be in the panel, he probably left tail end of last tear.