Derry v Kerry AISF Sunday 16th July 4pm

Started by JoG2, July 03, 2023, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

restorepride

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 04, 2023, 07:34:56 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 03, 2023, 08:41:59 PM
It will be a difficult approach I feel, tactically do Derry stick with cautious defensive early approach and take advantages of counter attacking Kerry?

Or do they say, f**k it, let's go out and die with our boots on and unlock the chains?

I think they should go for it.

They won't though. Expect a dogged first half, maybe a 2 or 3 pint Kerry lead. Then slowly Kerry will turn the screw and end up winning by 9 or 10.
As opposed to the 12 Tír Eoghain got beat by?

tbrick18

What happened in the past means nothing.
I honestly think this will be the toughest game Kerry will have had this year, but they will be confident of the win.
I think Derry will believe they can upset the odds and beat Kerry.

On paper, Kerry are strong favorites.
We've got to where we are on merit. 2 ulster's, promotion to div1 and 2 sf appearances in a row.
That's enough to prove we have a strong side.
It would be a massive step for Derry to progress in saying that.

We live in hope rather than expectation and so long as we perform, then the result would be a bonus.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: rrhf on July 04, 2023, 05:53:17 PM
When was the last 2 in a row ulster champion who didn't make an all Ireland final? Tyrone 94 95 got to the final and lost. Did Armagh or Donegal win 2 in a row and failed to push on as well in more recent times?

Donegal 2019, Tyrone 2017, Tyrone 2010, Armagh 04-06, Armagh 99-00
Have I misunderstood the question? There's more examples of this in recent years than actually reaching the final - Donegal 11/12 Tyrone 95/96
Hasta la victoria siempre

Fuzzman

Quote from: screenexile on July 04, 2023, 10:05:17 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 04, 2023, 07:31:37 PM
Quote from: rrhf on July 04, 2023, 05:53:17 PM
When was the last 2 in a row ulster champion who didn't make an all Ireland final? Tyrone 94 95 got to the final and lost. Did Armagh or Donegal win 2 in a row and failed to push on as well in more recent times?
It's a sign of how weak Ulster is at the minute. In 02/03 Armagh made the final twice. 11/12 Donegal and 17/18 tyrone both saw final appearances.

Ulster had 4/8 Quarter finalists...

Weak though 🙄🙄

First time since 2015 when we had Fermanagh, Monaghan, Donegal and Tyrone.
Kerry beat Tyrone in the semi and lost to Dubs in the final.

Fair play to Derry making it two semifinal appearances in a row. First time retaining Ulster since 1976 where Kerry hammered them in the semi 5.14 to 1.10. All thanks to Wiki.

Is there a feeling of reaching the glass ceiling with Derry now or can they raise their performance to another level which is needed when you get to the last 4?
I'd imagine it will be a very defensively minded game with both teams giving the other the kickouts and packing their defence to make it very hard to score.

Wildweasel74

It's not a glass ceiling, there had 3/4 very strong minor teams and it be the lads in their mid 20's who will push Derry increased threat, over the nxt  5/6yrs.I think Derry gonna be about for awhile but currently we are a few forwards short, and more strength players wise of the bench.

onefineday

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 05, 2023, 04:26:09 PM
It's not a glass ceiling, there had 3/4 very strong minor teams and it be the lads in their mid 20's who take on Derry increased threat over the nxt  5/6yrs.I think Derry gonna be about for awhile but currently we are a few forwards short, and more strength players wise of the bench.
Derry have come out of ulster at minor level in 7 of the last 9 years and a lot of the lads from those first few years are the backbone of the current team. The future is bright and hopefully the new management structure will see more emphasis on strengthening that bench and preparing those fringe players for senior intercounty football.

I completely understand the criticism of our style, games vs similarly set up teams such as last year's ulster final, all Ireland semi and this year's ulster and the cork game are horrible watches, but coming after almost a decade where we refused to adopt a more pragmatic defensive system and managed to win one game in ulster, you can see why we are willing to put up with it and the players have embraced it.
It should be recognized that we have had a number of entertaining all out attack games and great wins over the past few years, Tyrone, Clare and Monaghan last year were all great fun!
This year we have had impressive high scores and plenty of goals numerous times including vs fermanagh, Monaghan and Donegal.
As for Kerry, I don't think they'll sit back and give us the kickout, teams should know by now that pressing us high is very effective. I'm looking forward to the game, Clifford aside I would definitely fancy Derry's chances, we all know what he can do, indeed a few of the team were playing when he knocked in 4.4 in the minor final in 17, but if he can have an off day or mckaigue and glass starve him of possession, who knows?
We've been quiet the last few games, but I'm expecting a big performance and this kerry team has been shown to be vulnerable in the past, we're underdogs and pretty much written off by everyone, but it might just be closer than everyone thinks.

tbrick18

Quote from: onefineday on July 07, 2023, 02:16:55 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 05, 2023, 04:26:09 PM
It's not a glass ceiling, there had 3/4 very strong minor teams and it be the lads in their mid 20's who take on Derry increased threat over the nxt  5/6yrs.I think Derry gonna be about for awhile but currently we are a few forwards short, and more strength players wise of the bench.
Derry have come out of ulster at minor level in 7 of the last 9 years and a lot of the lads from those first few years are the backbone of the current team. The future is bright and hopefully the new management structure will see more emphasis on strengthening that bench and preparing those fringe players for senior intercounty football.

I completely understand the criticism of our style, games vs similarly set up teams such as last year's ulster final, all Ireland semi and this year's ulster and the cork game are horrible watches, but coming after almost a decade where we refused to adopt a more pragmatic defensive system and managed to win one game in ulster, you can see why we are willing to put up with it and the players have embraced it.
It should be recognized that we have had a number of entertaining all out attack games and great wins over the past few years, Tyrone, Clare and Monaghan last year were all great fun!
This year we have had impressive high scores and plenty of goals numerous times including vs fermanagh, Monaghan and Donegal.
As for Kerry, I don't think they'll sit back and give us the kickout, teams should know by now that pressing us high is very effective. I'm looking forward to the game, Clifford aside I would definitely fancy Derry's chances, we all know what he can do, indeed a few of the team were playing when he knocked in 4.4 in the minor final in 17, but if he can have an off day or mckaigue and glass starve him of possession, who knows?
We've been quiet the last few games, but I'm expecting a big performance and this kerry team has been shown to be vulnerable in the past, we're underdogs and pretty much written off by everyone, but it might just be closer than everyone thinks.

Agree with all of this, but Kerry are more than just clifford. Theres his brother and Seanie O'Shea to contend with too.
Now I think they'll not like having to defend when/if we can attack with 15 so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.
Kerry have by far a more potent attack than Derry and I would argue Derry have a much better defensive setup than Kerry (even though Kerry were defensively excellent against Tyrone). It has the makings of a tight game, but Kerry could potentially blow us out of the water too as apart from Dublin, I don't think we've played any top level teams this year and we haven't been that impressive in any game.
No better time than to pull out the performance of the year than in an AISF though!

It's the hope that kills you   :D

Estimator

We have Joe McQuillan in charge once again.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Wildweasel74

Didnt see any real questionable ref decisions from the Cork game as we were so awful. Though how did he not give a black card for the penalty

Estimator

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 07, 2023, 06:25:07 PM
Didnt see any real questionable ref decisions from the Cork game as we were so awful. Though how did he not give a bkack card for the penalty
Yeah, that was really the only contentious one over the 70mins.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Smokin Joe

Didnt see any real questionable ref decisions from the Cork game as we were so awful. Though how did he not give a black card for the penalty

For it to be a black card and a penalty it has to be a black card offence (normally this is a pull down to the ground).  It doesn't matter how "cynical" the foul is, unless it meets the definition of a black card then it won't be a black card just because it's a penalty.
A push in the back is not a black card offence.

I can't believe how poorly understood that rule is by commentators and pundits.

JoG2

Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 07, 2023, 09:20:22 PM

For it to be a black card and a penalty it has to be a black card offence (normally this is a pull down to the ground).  It doesn't matter how "cynical" the foul is, unless it meets the definition of a black card then it won't be a black card just because it's a penalty.

There was arguably 2 black offenses in the 1 move. The hand trip followed by the 2nd which was more borderline, there was a shunt in the back but the Cork man did have his arms around McGuigan

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: JoG2 on July 07, 2023, 09:26:55 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 07, 2023, 09:20:22 PM

There was arguably 2 black offenses in the 1 move. The hand trip followed by the 2nd which was more borderline, there was a shunt in the back but the Cork man did have his arms around McGuigan

Exactly this...

Seemed to be 2 fouls by 2 seperate players....Ref missed the pull to the foot as one of the fouls (?) perhaps....

rrhf

Will Meenagh be given another year regardless of the result.
Will he want it - a genuine question. I think he has done great.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: rrhf on July 07, 2023, 11:18:49 PM
Will Meenagh be given another year regardless of the result.
Will he want it - a genuine question. I think he has done great.

Have nothing but respect for the man....

It's bound to have been a really hard year for him...incredibly difficult...

I'd say the decision will rest with him....