Standard of Refs

Started by guevara, July 01, 2023, 07:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

I'm sort of swaying on this, as I've only watched the slow mo replay of this and its not great, in real time I was impressed with the catch and how committed he was for a 50/50 ball, in the case sometimes one person is less committed in a 50/50 and they generally come out worse.

If that was my club player in a game at the pitch and he carried out that catch and scored I'd be cheering from the rooftops, and the same goes for every Derry man if that was one of their club/county players had they done the same, there would not be one person on here saying their own player deserves a red card
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

shawshank

I was in the bar Sunday evening for a bite, on the way home and was fortunate for a current senior county ref who has done senior championship games to call in. He had been at the game and the Sunday game was on the Telly. He said, and I will quote him 'absolutely a free and a minimum yellow card for rough play. Joe definitely had a good enough view to at least award a free out to Derry'
My reply was 'how does a ref at that level not know that when I did', his reply 'I don't think a free and further sanction should have been missed in that position with a clear view 20 yards away' he also said that was his view during the game, the replay on TV confirmed his analysis.

Derryman forever

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 18, 2023, 02:28:00 PM
I'm sort of swaying on this, as I've only watched the slow mo replay of this and its not great, in real time I was impressed with the catch and how committed he was for a 50/50 ball, in the case sometimes one person is less committed in a 50/50 and they generally come out worse.

If that was my club player in a game at the pitch and he carried out that catch and scored I'd be cheering from the rooftops, and the same goes for every Derry man if that was one of their club/county players had they done the same, there would not be one person on here saying their own player deserves a red card

So you would be of the opinion Frank Burns should not have seen red in the Galway game.?

Estimator

The thing is, it wasn't a 50/50 ball. It always favoured Ryan. McGuigan had almost stopped completely. He wasn't going to compete with the Ryan, more like he was going to try and hold him up, once the keeper collected it.

As well as that, Ryan didn't have to leave the ground to catch the ball. He jumped to collect the ball in his midriff. If he'd just taken the ball on the run, he would've been round McGuigan fairly quickly with the pace he was approaching it.  He knew exactly what he was doing.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Fuzzman

I'd agree with MR2 that in the heat of a competitive match with both teams with a lot at stake, most fans will be delighted with
their own man winning such a catch and taking out the other team's best player in the process. Imagine if it had of been Glass hitting Clifford instead.

One of the commentators or someone used the well known term, the keeper took man, ball and all.
We often here this term used for when keepers come out to punch the ball away and it seems to be accepted that if the keeper gets the ball first then it doesn't matter what happens afterwards.

When watching it back you can see Ryan firstly eyeing the ball and when he knew he was going to catch it, he then eyed up McGuigan. He had to make a split second decision to make, Do I land face forward and maybe drop the ball or do I turn my backside and try to knock him over with my momentum.
Had he JUST turned his back you could say he was trying to shield the ball but if you look carefully he actually bends over and sticks his backside out so it looked like he was trying to hit McGuigan hard with his follow through.
Bearing in mind how Kerry seemed to be targetting McGuigan the whole game you could be forgiven for thinking that this was one of those times where you can "do" a man in a so called 50/50 challenge.

So i've come full circle in this incident myself and think the ref got it wrong but as we all know it's a tough one to call so quickly.

johnnycool

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 18, 2023, 04:07:28 PM
I'd agree with MR2 that in the heat of a competitive match with both teams with a lot at stake, most fans will be delighted with
their own man winning such a catch and taking out the other team's best player in the process. Imagine if it had of been Glass hitting Clifford instead.

One of the commentators or someone used the well known term, the keeper took man, ball and all.
We often here this term used for when keepers come out to punch the ball away and it seems to be accepted that if the keeper gets the ball first then it doesn't matter what happens afterwards.

When watching it back you can see Ryan firstly eyeing the ball and when he knew he was going to catch it, he then eyed up McGuigan. He had to make a split second decision to make, Do I land face forward and maybe drop the ball or do I turn my backside and try to knock him over with my momentum.
Had he JUST turned his back you could say he was trying to shield the ball but if you look carefully he actually bends over and sticks his backside out so it looked like he was trying to hit McGuigan hard with his follow through.
Bearing in mind how Kerry seemed to be targetting McGuigan the whole game you could be forgiven for thinking that this was one of those times where you can "do" a man in a so called 50/50 challenge.

So i've come full circle in this incident myself and think the ref got it wrong but as we all know it's a tough one to call so quickly.

It's always a Brucie bonus if you could take the man as well as the ball, although I did have a referee tell me recently that you have to have a duty of care to your opponent allegedly, so I can see it both ways.

If big Glass or Chrissy McKeague had buried his arse into Clifford in a similar manner and won the game, they'd get the freedom of the whole of Derry.

Refs are also under so much scrutiny now, slow motion etc etc when they've one split second to see the incident and make a call within a second or so at whatever angle they happen to be at at that exact moment FFS, cut the lad some slack.

shawshank

I despair at how many posters aren't clear that it was a foul, and a dangerous foul at that

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on July 18, 2023, 04:19:55 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 18, 2023, 04:07:28 PM

It's always a Brucie bonus if you could take the man as well as the ball, although I did have a referee tell me recently that you have to have a duty of care to your opponent allegedly, so I can see it both ways.

If big Glass or Chrissy McKeague had buried his arse into Clifford in a similar manner and won the game, they'd get the freedom of the whole of Derry.

I can see it both ways TBH.

Refs are also under so much scrutiny now, slow motion etc etc when they've one split second to see the incident and make a call within a second or so at whatever angle they happen to be at at that exact moment FFS, cut the lad some slack.

That term is coming in a lot recently, I've used it too a few times, and we do have a duty of care in relation to our actions on the pitch, either on purpose or accidently, but with regards to the match, I seen the catch, guy goes down, he runs up and scores, its only when I looked back that the lad is in a heap! But as a supporter I don't know anyone that would say their own players deserves a red for that!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fuzzman

Does the impact of a foul influence a referee?
I mean if someone is badly injured does it influence the ref to give a card?

When Rogers got a punch into the stomach near the end, would he have got a free if he went down holding his stomach which could convince the ref that he was indeed hit?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 18, 2023, 05:03:54 PM
Does the impact of a foul influence a referee?
I mean if someone is badly injured does it influence the ref to give a card?

When Rogers got a punch into the stomach near the end, would he have got a free if he went down holding his stomach which could convince the ref that he was indeed hit?

Rodgers (if memory serves me right) was going down as the hand was going in, there was the initial view where it look like he took a punch and the other, out of sheer exhaustion fumbled the ball with an attempted pass. Can't remember what Joe's positioning was at the time

dec

It looked to me like once he was in the air he knew a collision was coming and wanted to make sure that it was the most well padded bit of this body that took the hit,

balladmaker

It was a free any day of the week, any referee in any game would have given it ... with the exception of Joe McQuillan on Sunday.  It will cost Joe any chance that he may have had to referee the All Ireland Final, and rightly so.  Yes, its a difficult game to referee, yes, refs are amateurs etc. etc.  all of that doesn't matter a damn, Joe wasn't up to some of the big calls on Sunday and that's that.  More so, time keeping needs to be removed from the ref asap, they've enough to be doing never mind timekeeping ... and they should have no right to dictate additional time at their discretion beyond normal and injury time.  This allowing one more play to try to balance out earlier mistakes is making a mockery of the game, and Sunday wasn't the only example of it this year.

Milltown Row2

Most semi final referees don't get finals.. has he done one before? He'll not be too bothered if he has

balladmaker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 18, 2023, 06:36:30 PM
Most semi final referees don't get finals.. has he done one before? He'll not be too bothered if he has

He's done quite a few I reckon at this stage.

Sean Hurson is prob the foremost ref. in the country at the min imo.

Would ye whist

FFS such a bit of yapping about1/2 incidents over an 80+ minute game, if Derry want to be considered big time they need to act it, at present their fans on here and nothing more than yapping babies, ye had more than enough chances to win the game and scored 4 points in 40 mins in the second half, but yeah its Joe's fault #findascapegoat