Sam Maguire permutations

Started by seafoid, April 11, 2023, 09:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on July 04, 2023, 07:33:35 PM
The RTE podcast asked if the best teams were represented in the last 4 and they aren't. Instead there is a procession for Kerry and Dublin.

Had no dog in the fight and didn't care who won the upcoming semi finals but after watching that I hope Monaghan and Derry both win.

A podcast that would be far better without it's RTÉ GAA editor/producer who loves the sound of his own voice. Not a chance he'd be asking that question had his own Cork reached the last 4.

Fuzzman

Back at the end of the league most of us would have picked Kerry, Dublin, Derry and Galway as our best four teams likely to get to the semis depending on the draw. Many would have given Mayo a good chance as well with Tyrone and Armagh maybe next best depending on the draws they got.

Galway were unlucky with injuries this year and getting caught with Armagh and then Mayo.
Monaghan had a very topsy turvy season losing to Derry and Donegal but beating Tyrone, Kildare and Armagh on penalties.

I think the four teams are worthy of being in the semifinals considering the draw.

As I said on another thread, Dublin and Kerry have always been the two main forces in GAA football and will continue to do so for some time.

full moon

Quote from: Rossfan on July 05, 2023, 02:04:32 PM
Not defending or supporting Dublin but Meath has about 4 times the population of Monaghan or the Ros Co Board area.
Why aren't they at the level of those 2 units at least?
Something is wrong in Meath, I think sprawl from Dublin has diluted the Meath identity. it's becoming more like a Dublin suburb every year it seems. Wicklow is similar. Meath don't have the underdog fight in them that Roscommon or Monaghan have. But they also don't have the same calibre of players for now. Longer term it will be tougher for Roscommon and Monaghan to stay at the top table with their population.

I do think with the right work going in Meath can bring them back to Division 1 standard. Getting tanked by Dublin every single year has really damaged them also. Supporters can be fickle.

full moon

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 05, 2023, 02:49:30 PM
The RTE podcast asked if the best teams were represented in the last 4 and they aren't. Instead there is a procession for Kerry and Dublin.

Had no dog in the fight and didn't care who won the upcoming semi finals but after watching that I hope Monaghan and Derry both win.

A podcast that would be far better without it's RTÉ GAA editor/producer who loves the sound of his own voice. Not a chance he'd be asking that question had his own Cork reached the last 4.

I think he is usually fair in his analysis. We all want competitive and exciting matches and this years championship just has not delivered that outside the drama of penalty shoot outs.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: full moon on July 05, 2023, 03:09:51 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 05, 2023, 02:49:30 PM

I think he is usually fair in his analysis. We all want competitive and exciting matches and this years championship just has not delivered that outside the drama of penalty shoot outs.
Your entitled to your opinion about him.

Group stages had plenty of competitive games as was 3 of the 4 Prem Quarter finals that was decided on fine margins. I also believe Tyrone and Mayo would have been a lot more competitive in their All-Ireland Quarter finals with extra week to prepare for them.

seafoid

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 05, 2023, 02:56:26 PM
Back at the end of the league most of us would have picked Kerry, Dublin, Derry and Galway as our best four teams likely to get to the semis depending on the draw. Many would have given Mayo a good chance as well with Tyrone and Armagh maybe next best depending on the draws they got.

Galway were unlucky with injuries this year and getting caught with Armagh and then Mayo.
Monaghan had a very topsy turvy season losing to Derry and Donegal but beating Tyrone, Kildare and Armagh on penalties.

I think the four teams are worthy of being in the semifinals considering the draw.

As I said on another thread, Dublin and Kerry have always been the two main forces in GAA football and will continue to do so for some time.
Kerry and the Dubs go in cycles and often they don't coincide. I think now it's the end of a Dub cycle while Kerry are mid cycle.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

full moon

Quote from: seafoid on July 05, 2023, 04:00:31 PM

Kerry and the Dubs go in cycles and often they don't coincide. I think now it's the end of a Dub cycle while Kerry are mid cycle.
We've been hearing about the end of the Dubs for many years, this is their 14th All Ireland semi final in a row. They aren't going anywhere, they will probably win the All Ireland again this year without too much fuss.

seafoid

Quote from: full moon on July 05, 2023, 04:07:00 PM

We've been hearing about the end of the Dubs for many years, this is their 14th All Ireland semi final in a row. They aren't going anywhere, they will probably win the All Ireland again this year without too much fuss.
What is the average age of the Dubs now? Cluxton must have brought up the mean

Blowitupref

Quote from: seafoid on July 05, 2023, 04:17:15 PM
Quote from: full moon on July 05, 2023, 04:07:00 PM

What is the average age of the Dubs now? Cluxton must have brought up the mean

Average age of the Dublin team that started Sunday was 29. What played a big part in Dublins senior dominance under Jim Gavin was the many U21 AI winners that filtered into already strong base.

U20 competition hasn't been as fruitful for Dublin with no AI title won and were beaten in the last three Leinster finals. Now is the time for Dublin seniors to win Sam as the future is uncertain for them.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Derryman forever

Quote from: CK_Redhand on July 05, 2023, 10:07:14 AM
Quote from: Louther on July 05, 2023, 09:43:41 AM
One of the GAA's greatest strengths is hindsight.

This is it. Monday morning quarterbacking. Fickle fans praising players they were bemoaning the week before.

Your team progresses, the format works. They get eliminated,  it's unfair.

A game is boring, change the rules.

Drunk fans, ban them at the gates.

Hawkeye malfunctions, get rid of it.

Can we not try to be proactive rather than reactive?

Love this post.
You have nailed the curmudgeons that profess to be GAA supporters , but are really only self serving, parochial , my county only supporters.

seafoid

A Monaghan All Ireland would be magical.

Eire90

i say most neutrals want derry or monaghan to win all ireland as kerry and dublin have won too many and it gets a bit boring seeing same teams lift trophy.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Eire90 on July 05, 2023, 07:36:42 PM
i say most neutrals want derry or monaghan to win all ireland as kerry and dublin have won too many and it gets a bit boring seeing same teams lift trophy.

Ahh now hold on.....
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Derryman forever

:)
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 05, 2023, 07:44:59 PM

Ahh now hold on.....
l :)

seafoid

I would usually agree but Kerry won their first Sam since 2014 last year. So the Sams haven't been fluirseach.
I would prefer one of the Ulster teams to win. Derry have 1 and Monaghan have 0.