Premier League 2023-2024

Started by Dire Ear, July 31, 2022, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Perhaps we're just surveying the considerable stack of evidence before us when reaching the conclusion that City will win it again MR2.

And it's not like the team are giving up. But most supporters of any team, once they're beyond the age of 12, are sensible enough to call things as they are.

When Liverpool won it by a country mile they had to reach levels of performance which are simply not sustainable or repeatable.

Armamike

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 07, 2024, 10:02:11 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on February 07, 2024, 09:21:03 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2024, 11:35:54 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on February 06, 2024, 11:01:26 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 06, 2024, 10:53:42 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on February 06, 2024, 09:37:39 PMThere's some in here going full 'Sky' and, probably hoping beyond anything else that it'll be a 2 or 3 horse race going to the wire.
The reality of it (and it would bore the knickers off you) is that City will win again with a bit to spare.
As someone mentioned above, only for Liverpool, they'd be going for 7 titles in the row, 7! FFP is a goodin'

Liverpool won 12 or so titles in a small period of time. Was it a bore then or was that ok?

Teams have periods of dominance

You're a contrarian by nature, and happy enough by the sounds of it with how City have managed to dominate, when 99% of non-City fans would have an issue with it, that's OK

I suppose I'm just highlighting the fact that teams can dominate, depending on who you support people will complain about the dominance, then when other teams win people forget about that and so on..

If that's me being a contrarian, I can live with that.

But I'm bored of supporters complaining about being top of the league, with it in their own hands to win, and basically giving up.

Makes no sense, Liverpool won the league by a country mile over City not too far back and now they'll be lucky to stay up going by some of the comments here !

So, City aside, it's a league of bottlers. Or, maybe, just maybe these teams are giving it everything they have, are playing within their means and don't have squad depth to see it out against a state owned club not playing within their means...?

They are giving it everything they have and the other team is just better? leicester city won it, rich owner, Utd won it, a rich club, Bayern win most years another rich club, Madrid or Barca win, more rich clubs, I could go on, lots of countries have one or two teams that win the league the most.

The odd team (leicester city) win it but by and large the rich clubs win.

Liverpool and the rest just need to put the big boy pants on and roll the sleeves and get on with it, I'd rather be top than in 6th

There's a difference between supporters downplaying their chances, and how the team sees their chances.  I'd expect that Klopp and the Liverpool players will be going for it.

That's just, like your opinion man.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on February 07, 2024, 10:57:18 AMPerhaps we're just surveying the considerable stack of evidence before us when reaching the conclusion that City will win it again MR2.

And it's not like the team are giving up. But most supporters of any team, once they're beyond the age of 12, are sensible enough to call things as they are.

When Liverpool won it by a country mile they had to reach levels of performance which are simply not sustainable or repeatable.

If Pep leaves at the end of the season will City just continue to win the League?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Look-Up!

Pep is a special manager, no question. Klopp too. Both well run clubs, you cannot but be impressed by how both clubs have gone about their business last while, on and off field. Klopp had something very special in Merseyside, it's just unfortunate for them they met the perfect storm in City. Great manager and well run club with an unlimited blank cheque book. That's the only difference between the two.

When Pep goes things will even out. It will be nothing to do with other clubs getting their act together or putting on big boy pants. It will be City regressing. The managerial position is that important. FFP or money will not keep them where they are. Look at Utd, have spent more than anyone but don't have a manager of their calibre.

But for now, cannot see past City and it is getting boring. But it will be interesting to see who their next manager is, who Liverpool get in and indeed who's at the helm in Old Trafford next couple of years. There is a change coming soon.

Milltown Row2

So yes, there has always been clubs with more money, its how they spend it and who they have spending it.

The manager is running the show and my point that was being overlooked is a club like Utd has spent a clean fortune on pure piss and getting nothing out of it, so you can have a blank cheque book and it means nowt

Liverpool showed that they can win the league, Leicester won the league and Chelsea Utd have also won it during that time City have been state owed.

By this logic Newcastle will win the league 7 years in a row, should they get the right manager and players in place. Could happen, who knows

But back your team if you are playing unreal stuff, and beat them at home, home and hosed then
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

Quote from: J70 on February 07, 2024, 10:57:18 AMPerhaps we're just surveying the considerable stack of evidence before us when reaching the conclusion that City will win it again MR2.

82 points would have been enough to win that league title. Mid 80 points will likely be enough to finish 1st this season. At home to City a huge fixture for Liverpoool in the run in and even a draw would be a decent result.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Look-Up! on February 07, 2024, 02:54:08 PMPep is a special manager, no question. Klopp too. Both well run clubs, you cannot but be impressed by how both clubs have gone about their business last while, on and off field. Klopp had something very special in Merseyside, it's just unfortunate for them they met the perfect storm in City. Great manager and well run club with an unlimited blank cheque book. That's the only difference between the two.

When Pep goes things will even out. It will be nothing to do with other clubs getting their act together or putting on big boy pants. It will be City regressing. The managerial position is that important. FFP or money will not keep them where they are. Look at Utd, have spent more than anyone but don't have a manager of their calibre.

But for now, cannot see past City and it is getting boring. But it will be interesting to see who their next manager is, who Liverpool get in and indeed who's at the helm in Old Trafford next couple of years. There is a change coming soon.

As you say Liverpool, Man City are well run clubs and both Klopp and Pep can get the best out of their teams in that environment. At United they have gone through numerous managers the last decade and another change of manager won't make a big difference until they become a well run club. Jury is out on what Radcliffe and Co can do now they have control of the sport side of the club.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 07, 2024, 03:13:31 PM

82 points would have been enough to win that league title. Mid 80 points will likely be enough to finish 1st this season. At home to City a huge fixture for Liverpoool in the run in and even a draw would be a decent result.
I thought similar last year but this City team have a tendency to hit beast mode from Feb to April, especially when the pressure is really put on them. And their squad affords them more options and unlikely match winners and probably can absorb injuries better.

J70

That's a wee bit disingenuous.

City ended up on 81 points that year because they basically had thrown in the towel halfway through when they couldn't keep up with the ridiculous pace Liverpool had set.

Had Liverpool had a "normal" race with City, chances are both teams would have driven each other on to finish neck and neck somewhere in the 90s, as happened in the 18-19 and 21-22 seasons.

As for this year, I think it will take at least 90 points to win it. And I think Liverpool will have to beat City at Anfield. Its hard to see City dropping too many points outside of that, and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they didn't drop any. When it comes down to it, they're easily capable of winning home games against Arsenal and United and Spurs away.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 07, 2024, 03:28:27 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on February 07, 2024, 02:54:08 PMPep is a special manager, no question. Klopp too. Both well run clubs, you cannot but be impressed by how both clubs have gone about their business last while, on and off field. Klopp had something very special in Merseyside, it's just unfortunate for them they met the perfect storm in City. Great manager and well run club with an unlimited blank cheque book. That's the only difference between the two.

As you say Liverpool, Man City are well run clubs and both Klopp and Pep can get the best out of their teams in that environment. At United they have gone through numerous managers the last decade and another change of manager won't make a big difference until they become a well run club. Jury is out on what Radcliffe and Co can do now they have control of the sport side of the club.
I can see the truth in what you're saying but end of the day bean counters run every club and if the football man in charge is not of strong enough personality or competence, and doesn't impress and domineer to them what exactly he needs from them, or indeed he doesn't truly know himself what he needs, then success is unlikely. It's a balancing act where either or can come first.

Blowitupref

Quote from: J70 on February 07, 2024, 04:08:24 PM

City ended up on 81 points that year because they basically had thrown in the towel halfway through when they couldn't keep up with the ridiculous pace Liverpool had set.

Had Liverpool had a "normal" race with City, chances are both teams would have driven each other on to finish neck and neck somewhere in the 90s, as happened in the 18-19 and 21-22 seasons.

As for this year, I think it will take at least 90 points to win it. And I think Liverpool will have to beat City at Anfield. Its hard to see City dropping too many points outside of that, and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if they didn't drop any. When it comes down to it, they're easily capable of winning home games against Arsenal and United and Spurs away.

Perhaps Liverpool run played on their mindset though In that 2019/2020 season Man City weren't up to their usual high standard. If it was a case of giving up in the league they should have done better in the remaining cup competitions yet they went out tamely to Arsenal who finished 8th in the Premier League season and champions league quarter final exit to Lyon who I believe was 7th in the French league at the time.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

J70

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 07, 2024, 05:11:09 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 07, 2024, 04:08:24 PM

Perhaps Liverpool run played on their mindset though In that 2019/2020 season Man City weren't up to their usual high standard. If it was a case of giving up in the league they should have done better in the remaining cup competitions yet they went out tamely to Arsenal who finished 8th in the Premier League season and champions league quarter final exit to Lyon who I believe was 7th in the French league at the time.

They completely underestimated Lyon (that, and another Pep CL bout of overthinking). And you had Covid.

On the league, what Liverpool did before the Covid outbreak was an utter freak. No one could match it. That HAD to be a factor in City's form, especially coming off a season where Liverpool had put them to the pin of their collars.

Anyway, it's all speculation, but I don't think it is insignificant that the only league Pep's City have lost is the one where the opponent hit a six month streak of form which will likely never be repeated in a league as competitive overall as the PL.

Milltown Row2

Utd back to zero goal difference..

Fuzzman

Anyone know anyone with Chelsea connections.
Trying to get tickets for League cup final

Milltown Row2

Sterling would have enjoyed that