Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogball88

Quote from: square_ball on February 27, 2024, 12:17:52 PMFrom what we've seen of McGleenan so far I'm not sure he is ready yet either for that level.
All brawn and no guile

Fuzzman

An Watcher

How do we know mcglennan isn't up to it if he hasn't had a go

scout

Quote from: An Watcher on February 27, 2024, 07:09:13 PMHow do we know mcglennan isn't up to it if he hasn't had a go

He joined in 2022 season I believe & don't even think he has started a McKenna cup game? He obviously isn't up to it as he would have featured by now.
Knows the drills, has the gear, likely useful for training drills.

Mikhailov

Quote from: scout on February 27, 2024, 09:41:09 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on February 27, 2024, 07:09:13 PMHow do we know mcglennan isn't up to it if he hasn't had a go

He joined in 2022 season I believe & don't even think he has started a McKenna cup game? He obviously isn't up to it as he would have featured by now.

Very unfair lads.

square_ball

I just said he didn't look ready yet in the albeit limited appearances I have seen so far. He may well turn out to be a really good player for us its early days of course.

God14

Quote from: Mikhailov on February 27, 2024, 09:48:08 PM

Very unfair lads.

+1

Unbelievable that. How many appearances did he make for Eglish last year? The lad has had no football at all, just returning after a very lengthy lay off, and people are judging him in 2 ten minute substitute appearances against Derry when the game was gone, and Galway - when we were chasing the game

Degrassi Hi

This is extremely unfair to pass judgement on young McGleenan at such an early stage in his career.  Many legendary Tyrone players looked to be out of their depth for their first number of games. Think back to a young McNamee V Kerry or McShane V Donegal - both men went on to win All-stars and by all accounts McShane will be back in contention very soon. I've also seen men being brilliant debutants but didn't progress or hang about the panel long enough. Give the kids a bit of time as there's another All Ireland coming in the not too distant future.     

An Watcher

Enda McGinley was a prime example of this.  When Tyrone eon their first all ireland I didn't really rate him as a corner forward.  Fast forward to 2008 and he was rolling between midfield and attack and was in the runingvfor footballer of the year.  Good luck to the young fellas and mcglennan

tiempo

Quote from: An Watcher on February 28, 2024, 11:41:01 AMEnda McGinley was a prime example of this.  When Tyrone eon their first all ireland I didn't really rate him as a corner forward.  Fast forward to 2008 and he was rolling between midfield and attack and was in the runingvfor footballer of the year.  Good luck to the young fellas and mcglennan

Was never played as a corner forward and wasn't always the easiest on the eye, but the shift he put in and importance to those teams should not be underestimated, i think there was a bit of a thing where when he scored Tyrone didn't get beat, coincidence obviously but what a horse of a man, broke his neck in the 03 AIF and played on, mad stuff altogether!

rrhf

Quote from: God14 on February 28, 2024, 09:03:02 AM
Quote from: Mikhailov on February 27, 2024, 09:48:08 PM

Very unfair lads.

+1

Unbelievable that. How many appearances did he make for Eglish last year? The lad has had no football at all, just returning after a very lengthy lay off, and people are judging him in 2 ten minute substitute appearances against Derry when the game was gone, and Galway - when we were chasing the game
I agree. Lad has been injured, hasnt had a chance yet. 

ONeill

Quote from: southtyronegael on February 27, 2024, 11:33:52 AMWould  love to see a bigger unit in the full forward line to compliment mc curry/canavan. Either of mc Shane, mattie donnelly or mc gleenan would  be worth a go when available.

To be fair, Kilpatrick was there a lot of the time. I moved behind the goals Tyrone were playing into in the second half and you could hear Conn shouting to knock it in to him. And I think the first 2 balls he won and possibly won a free kick for a trip on him. Not sure if he's a permanent option there but it was working second half.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

HokeyPokey

Quote from: ONeill on February 28, 2024, 10:56:01 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on February 27, 2024, 11:33:52 AMWould  love to see a bigger unit in the full forward line to compliment mc curry/canavan. Either of mc Shane, mattie donnelly or mc gleenan would  be worth a go when available.

To be fair, Kilpatrick was there a lot of the time. I moved behind the goals Tyrone were playing into in the second half and you could hear Conn shouting to knock it in to him. And I think the first 2 balls he won and possibly won a free kick for a trip on him. Not sure if he's a permanent option there but it was working second half.

McShane if he could get back to himself would be the ideal, but it's a big if. I think have him up top with and McCurry and Canavan there too, but probably not at the same time.

Donnelly too always has done well inside, but how he comes back is another question.

There's good players in the panel, different types of players and no obvious weakness in terms of playing personnel to me.

RoundBall

Is McShane still a part of the panel? Was definitely there during the McKenna Cup, was along with other injured players in the stand. Rumours he played a challenge game for Owen Roe's on Saturday night as the Mayo game was being played.
An Ríocht Uí Néill

God14

Quote from: RoundBall on February 29, 2024, 12:19:44 AMIs McShane still a part of the panel? Was definitely there during the McKenna Cup, was along with other injured players in the stand. Rumours he played a challenge game for Owen Roe's on Saturday night as the Mayo game was being played.

Heard he returned to full training the weekend after the Derry match. Playing a challenge game for Owen Roes would make alot of sense, he's coming back off major surgery 8 months ago.
Im only guessing here - this weekend surely still too soon, but then there's another fortnight to the Monaghan game on 16th March. Could we see him make the 26 then? It would be a boost for sure