11-Plus Proposal

Started by spiritof91and94, May 16, 2008, 12:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Because it's only for a year and will still be a grammar school
That's why
What if I want my Johnny to go to the grammar school and he isn't accepted next year? This is real life stuff don't say that won't happen because it will

Smurfy123

So what's wrong with doing an 11+ in general?
And having Grammar schools? Really don't see what's the issue e

trailer

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 30, 2020, 09:18:29 AM
So what's wrong with doing an 11+ in general?
And having Grammar schools? Really don't see what's the issue e

Because it excludes children at a very young age. It is also an easy out for lazy teachers. Teach the best and f**k the rest. It's not the sort of society we should aspire to.

Smurfy123

It's doesn't exclude anybody? It gets children at a level where they need to be. What happens at theses schools next year where a child at the bottom end as miles behind the top kid in the same class. A big struggle

Smurfy123

No I don't wish too. Why comment in the first place if all was discussed? Clearly not when you decide to discuss.

Jim Bob

Primary schools classes have children of all abilities in them and the teacher has to tailor his/her planning and delivery of lesson to ensure that the needs of all are met. It is hard, hard work.
Grammar schools, by selecting the best academically, avoid this heavy lifting. The teach to the class as a whole all day long with no differentiation. Much much easier

nrico2006

So who gets into the Newry grammar schools? Are they using predicted grades or something similar?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

dec

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 30, 2020, 12:37:24 PM
Primary schools classes have children of all abilities in them and the teacher has to tailor his/her planning and delivery of lesson to ensure that the needs of all are met. It is hard, hard work.
Grammar schools, by selecting the best academically, avoid this heavy lifting. The teach to the class as a whole all day long with no differentiation. Much much easier

"The teach to the class as a whole all day long with no differentiation. Much much easier "

While should we choose to make teaching harder? If dividing students by academic achievement means that teachers can aim lessons at a more similar group that should make it easier for all teachers, not just grammar school teachers.

delgany

Quote from: hardstation on May 30, 2020, 04:47:55 PM
Non-grammar teachers just teach to the one "dumbed down" level too.

Primary teachers don't differentiate either. They just teach what they have to. Those who get it go to grammar schools. Those who don't go to non-grammars.

So all in all, a pretty straight forward process that works well in the end.

Obviously.

Primary schools in North definitely differentiate the work for pupils. They have different reading groups, spelling groups , maths tasks.
There is a wide range of abilities to work with. You would have pupils with a cognitive ability score in the 130+ and pupils with learning barriers with ability scores below 80.

ROI  may be different,  with a one size fits  all approach.

Have school Inspection services been ramped up down South yet ? Or is it just advisory ? Or a soft touch ?

Jim Bob

Quote from: dec on May 30, 2020, 04:34:09 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on May 30, 2020, 12:37:24 PM

"The teach to the class as a whole all day long with no differentiation. Much much easier "

While should we choose to make teaching harder? If dividing students by academic achievement means that teachers can aim lessons at a more similar group that should make it easier for all teachers, not just grammar school teachers.

What the grammars aim to do by selection is to avoid having to deal with the pupils who need one to one attention and  pupils who learn at a slower rate than than the best academically as well as pupils from the travelling community who are not normally academically gifted. Sure let the secondary schools deal with them

Jim Bob

Quote from: hardstation on May 30, 2020, 04:47:55 PM
Non-grammar teachers just teach to the one "dumbed down" level too.

Primary teachers don't differentiate either. They just teach what they have to. Those who get it go to grammar schools. Those who don't go to non-grammars.

So all in all, a pretty straight forward process that works well in the end.

Obviously.

Primary school teachers do differentiate each and every day for each and every pupil who require it

JimStynes

I would find it very hard to believe that no primary school teachers differentiate. Even the laziest ones I know differentiate. In every classroom there are usually 3 groups you would be working with.

Jim Bob

Quote from: hardstation on May 30, 2020, 08:15:13 PM
They do aye. I know a couple of primary school teachers who say they haven't differentiated since A Level maths and wouldn't know how to if asked.

Or at least that's the type of self-suited anecdotal drivel that gets stuck on to the end of baseless "facts" like the ones you are producing.

So 2 teachers admit to you they don't do their job properly.? You are either making it up or they are winding you up.
How can you say that primary school teachers don't differentiate ?

delgany

Quote from: Jim Bob on May 30, 2020, 09:02:18 PM
They do aye. I know a couple of primary school teachers who say they haven't differentiated since A Level maths and wouldn't know how to if asked.

Or at least that's the type of self-suited anecdotal drivel that gets stuck on to the end of baseless "facts" like the ones you are producing.

So 2 teachers admit to you they don't do their job properly.? You are either making it up or they are winding you up.

delgany

Quote from: delgany on May 30, 2020, 09:43:08 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on May 30, 2020, 09:02:18 PM

Load of BS , that is hardstation .
So your teacher mates , dont have different reading and spelling  or maths groups .
They are taking the hand out of you ! No doubt, they are two gaa men full of bravado .