?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

JimStynes

Quote from: general_lee on February 26, 2021, 11:25:34 AM
Don't worry Angelo I don't think Keane would touch Celtic with a barge pole either

I'd say he would take the hand off you for the job. He's not exactly turning down lots of offers at the minute either.

bannside

Keane not the man in my opinion. Mickey O Neill for me, but would he leave Stoke. Maybe if he was under pressure,  but that doesn't seem to be the case. Good guy, intelligent, cool head.

I'd have Rafa above him, for some reason I get a feeling Celtic would suit him. Doesn't need the massive money, got £12m in his job at China. Would love the challenge of getting Celtic back to the top, and some big European nights.

Angelo

Quote from: bannside on February 26, 2021, 11:45:47 AM
Keane not the man in my opinion. Mickey O Neill for me, but would he leave Stoke. Maybe if he was under pressure,  but that doesn't seem to be the case. Good guy, intelligent, cool head.

I'd have Rafa above him, for some reason I get a feeling Celtic would suit him. Doesn't need the massive money, got £12m in his job at China. Would love the challenge of getting Celtic back to the top, and some big European nights.

Would he leave Stoke?

FFS.

If Celtic are willing to buy out his contract and match his terms at Stoke, he'd be up the road in a heartbeat.

It would cost Celtic about £5m to release him from his contract though and I can't see Celtic doing that for a manager when there are currently a number of very qualified managers without a job at present.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Itchy

Quote from: Angelo on February 26, 2021, 12:03:11 PM
Quote from: bannside on February 26, 2021, 11:45:47 AM

Would he leave Stoke?

FFS.

If Celtic are willing to buy out his contract and match his terms at Stoke, he'd be up the road in a heartbeat.

It would cost Celtic about £5m to release him from his contract though and I can't see Celtic doing that for a manager when there are currently a number of very qualified managers without a job at present.

Keane got Sunderland into Premier League, held them there for a season and he is described as a failure. Tell me what has Michael O Neill done at Stoke? And i think cos he got on bad at Stoke doesnt make him a poor manager either by the way.

sid waddell

Liverpool and Newcastle are quite similar to Celtic in terms of their fanbases and the general culture around the clubs and the cities they come from

Newcastle's similarity in terms of it being a sort of smaller version of Liverpool was what attracted Rafa to it

Napoli was too

In a similar way, Liverpool was always a natural fit for Klopp given he'd been a massive success at Dortmund

Celtic do have something that I think would appeal to Rafa on a sort of emotional level

Leeds were able to attract Bielsa because he knew that club had something, a history and a passion and a potential that belied its then lowly status

But it's questionable whether Rafa would see such potential in Celtic given they're trapped in a diddy league

You need something more than an emotional pull to attract a manager of that calibre

Rafa would want cash to spend

general_lee

I'd like Rafa or Keane. Maybe Keane as Rafa's no2!

sid waddell

Angelo

Fergal Harkin - loan manager at Man City
David Webb - former executive with Spurs, Bournemouth and Huddersfield
Mario Tognozzi - chief scout at Juve

They are supposedly the three candidates linked with the new director of football role. I think it's a good move in the long run, Lawwell had far too much say and control at Celtic over the past decade, it was effectively a dictatorship.

This model works effectively with a training ground focused manager, someone who is tactically astute and with a track record of bringing players on and developing them.

We've had some good success in recent years with youth team players, McGregor, Forrest, Tierney etc all establishing them as first team regulars. All three made huge progress under Rodgers. It's interesting the amount of youth team players we lost since Lennon came into the job.

Morrison and Hepburn left for Bayern
Allan went to Man City

Would they have left had Rodgers still been there?

Looks like Dembele will also move on shortly too. Bar Welsh and Hazard who were only thrust in due to emergencies we have had no real youth team player development. Johnston had already established himself under Rodgers.

This is the model that is best suited to Celtic at the minute, bring players through, develop them and then hawk them down to English clubs for mass profits and reinvest that money back in. We've done a half arsed version of this in the past - we brought players through, developed them and then sold them on the cheap to the EPL at the first attempt with Lawwell trousering the money.

We need to be firm on our valuations of players this time, we need to put the money into tying them down on contracts so they not sold on the cheap and we need to reinvest any money from this straight back into the first team.

Angelo

Very interesting admission from journalist Stephen McGowan today. It's also worth nothing that McGowan is the most reliable journalist out there with Celtic and usually the first to break the transfer stories.

"The one that sums it up best is Ivan Toney, who they had in Glasgow, actually in the building – who wanted to sign for Celtic and they could have got for £6 million. For whatever reason, probably financial, they decided not to commit and signed Ajeti."

Toney is currently top scorer in the Championship this season with 24 goals. Ajeti has looked fat, awkward and disinterested this season.

An Watcher

Mick McCarthy would take no shit but not sure if his playing style would suit celtic.

skeog

Is Jim Mc Guinness available would he be up to managing Celtic.

lurganblue

Quote from: Angelo on February 26, 2021, 12:53:51 PM
Very interesting admission from journalist Stephen McGowan today. It's also worth nothing that McGowan is the most reliable journalist out there with Celtic and usually the first to break the transfer stories.

"The one that sums it up best is Ivan Toney, who they had in Glasgow, actually in the building – who wanted to sign for Celtic and they could have got for £6 million. For whatever reason, probably financial, they decided not to commit and signed Ajeti."

Toney is currently top scorer in the Championship this season with 24 goals. Ajeti has looked fat, awkward and disinterested this season.

Toney looks quality and will be in the PL either way next season i'd say.  Sold Walkins and bought Toney.  Brentford are a quality ran operation.

Angelo

Quote from: lurganblue on February 26, 2021, 03:17:20 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 26, 2021, 12:53:51 PM

Toney looks quality and will be in the PL either way next season i'd say.  Sold Walkins and bought Toney.  Brentford are a quality ran operation.

Whereas Celtic are a shambles. Toney is McGinn mk2.

An extra £2m would have probably got Toney compared to what we paid for Ajeti but Lawwell refused to pay up for a League One striker who was in the final 12 months of his contract. A good player is a good player and it's fair to say he could have made the difference this season if he was signed.

If Brentford don't go up this year, Toney will probably go for £30m+ in the summer.

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on February 26, 2021, 08:38:55 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 25, 2021, 10:20:59 PM
Quote from: lenny on February 25, 2021, 10:00:52 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 25, 2021, 09:40:14 PM
Roy Keane?

I see few pros saying he's the man. You know what, i'd give him a shot.

I would agree with you if the job didn't involve managing people. Keane has a good knowledge of the game but he doesn't seem to like other people and doesn't seem to have any of the skills required to manage people or be a good football manager.

Keane looks to be a good number 2. Good for doing all the sh1te jobs the main manager hates to do, like bollocking players, controlling discipline and doing hateful press conferences.

I think Keane's managerial career has been understated - he did amazing things with Sunderland, got a poor Ireland team to the Euros and out of group stages. And yes had some bad experiences with Ipswich, but then who hasnt?

Compare him, for example, to Mick McCarthy. few weeks ago he was useless old school journey man, sacked after weeks from his role in Cyprus, ran out of Ireland job. Yet now he is the messiah as Cardiff go on a a big push to get into premier league.
The point is managers cant fix everything. A club has to have certain things in place and you can only do so well within the confines of those things. I think both Keane and McCarthy in hindsight were in a poor club in Ipswich that obviously has other problems judging where they are now.

I think Keane would be a great appointment for a big club like Celtic and it would be ideal for him and I think the profile of  the players there (most players have ambition to move on and up from Celtic) means they will buy into him. I think is some ways its very similar to Gerrard at Rangers. That's my opinion and I imagine it will not fit with many others.
Mick wasn't chased out of the Ireland job, the messy contract situation was already set.  If Mick had been hired on a short term one qual campaign with no successor already on a contract, I think his contract would have been extended.

Roy Keane hasn't got a tactical notion on how to set up a team. His punditry (maybe entertaining for some) is an empty vessel, he offers absolutely nothing of substance apart from repeating  words and phrases about players attitudes to the game.

A possible candidate not mentioned is Chris Hughton, considering Forest shed on average 3 managers a year -  he might be available.

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on February 26, 2021, 07:41:15 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 26, 2021, 08:38:55 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 25, 2021, 10:20:59 PM
Quote from: lenny on February 25, 2021, 10:00:52 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 25, 2021, 09:40:14 PM
Roy Keane?

I see few pros saying he's the man. You know what, i'd give him a shot.

I would agree with you if the job didn't involve managing people. Keane has a good knowledge of the game but he doesn't seem to like other people and doesn't seem to have any of the skills required to manage people or be a good football manager.

Keane looks to be a good number 2. Good for doing all the sh1te jobs the main manager hates to do, like bollocking players, controlling discipline and doing hateful press conferences.

I think Keane's managerial career has been understated - he did amazing things with Sunderland, got a poor Ireland team to the Euros and out of group stages. And yes had some bad experiences with Ipswich, but then who hasnt?

Compare him, for example, to Mick McCarthy. few weeks ago he was useless old school journey man, sacked after weeks from his role in Cyprus, ran out of Ireland job. Yet now he is the messiah as Cardiff go on a a big push to get into premier league.
The point is managers cant fix everything. A club has to have certain things in place and you can only do so well within the confines of those things. I think both Keane and McCarthy in hindsight were in a poor club in Ipswich that obviously has other problems judging where they are now.

I think Keane would be a great appointment for a big club like Celtic and it would be ideal for him and I think the profile of  the players there (most players have ambition to move on and up from Celtic) means they will buy into him. I think is some ways its very similar to Gerrard at Rangers. That's my opinion and I imagine it will not fit with many others.
Mick wasn't chased out of the Ireland job, the messy contract situation was already set.  If Mick had been hired on a short term one qual campaign with no successor already on a contract, I think his contract would have been extended.

Roy Keane hasn't got a tactical notion on how to set up a team. His punditry (maybe entertaining for some) is an empty vessel, he offers absolutely nothing of substance apart from repeating  words and phrases about players attitudes to the game.

A possible candidate not mentioned is Chris Hughton, considering Forest shed on average 3 managers a year -  he might be available.

Is that Roy Keane or Banty you are describing there?