Did Referee favour St Brigids

Started by crossfire, February 18, 2013, 09:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossfire

I was in London over the weekend and have not yet seen the match.
However fom the reports that i read it seems  we conceded 2 soft goals and missed a sitter as well so we have no one to blame for the defeat but ourselves.
Nevertheless a lot of the reports including yesterdays Indo and todays Irish Times, suggest  that Maurice Deegan was more lenient towards the underdogs than he was to Cross.
What do the neutrals on here think?

Syferus

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

..mmm, Cake.

qubdub

No medals for beating Cross. I fancy Ballymun to win the final. Brigids' final was at the weekend.

Rossfan

Quote from: crossfire on February 18, 2013, 09:15:51 PM
Nevertheless a lot of the reports including yesterdays Indo and todays Irish Times, suggest  that Maurice Deegan was more lenient towards the underdogs than he was to Cross.

Arsehole journos get their boring predictions wrong so it has to be the ref's doing.
Jasus you couldn't make it up.

I know the Ulster bies are suffering from wothdrawal symptoms because Crossmaglen are out ... but the game is over - move on and get on with the future ... like the Cross manager.

And stop blaming the ref who missed a number of fouls on Brigid's players.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

imtommygunn

He should have added more time with the messing curran was doing.

That aside he made a few bad decisions but that went both ways.

brokencrossbar1

The ref made no difference to the result.  He made a few dodgy decisions and did let some cynical stuff go on both sides but we had the chances to win and didn't, end of story.  St Brigids are in the final and that is that. 

Captain Obvious

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 18, 2013, 10:24:42 PM
The ref made no difference to the result.  He made a few dodgy decisions and did let some cynical stuff go on both sides but we had the chances to win and didn't, end of story.  St Brigids are in the final and that is that.

+1

highorlow

The ref didn't stupidly push Seanan Kilbride over the sideline which led to the free that led to that 2nd goal.

The 2nd goal was ultimately the winning of the game and added to the fact that Cross had some very poor shot selection in the closing minutes.

If anything I thought Cross panicked which was very surprising.

No need for a separate thread on this I would have thought? The real Cross and Armagh supporters are taking the defeat like sportsmen.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

ogshead

The defeat should be taken on the chin.

When the shoe is on the other foot; teams are told to wind their necks in. Two soft goals, chances missed, etc means that the chances were there to win/draw the match. The referee wasn't involved in any of that.

Time wasting at the end? Cross are masters of this tactic when they are in front with a couple of minutes to go.

They were great champions but threads like this take away from St Brigids' great achievement. Let them have their day in the sun instead of sounding like sore losers

lynchbhoy

Didn't see much of the game but did see that push at the end.
I wanted Cross to win, but am happy that for once a ref gave this as a free. Do often every year almost all pushes whether defending or over the side/endline are never blown - these all are fouls.

Looking forward to the final and after having 4 great club teams in the semi finals , we have two great teams in the final.
I never expected ballymun to win the Leinster so they have surprised me but deserve their shot at the title!
Should be another great game like the semi finals were!

stew

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 18, 2013, 10:24:42 PM

Agree 100%, that said I thought the ref was poor enough but didn't favor one team or the other, he just about did Cross in a couple of decisions but overall he did not favor one team over another!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

crossfire

As i stated earlier i was not at the game so therefore could not comment on referee.
I was only looking for neutral opinions as John O'Brien in Sunday Independent stated "The Ulster Champions would be entitled to feel harshly treated by Maurice Deegan on several occasions"This is not sour grapes on my behalf as i have said that we could blame no one but ourselves but i believe that inconsistent refereing should be highlighted.
The buzzwords are respect for referees but it has to be earned.

Captain Obvious

Crossfire, sour grapes or not you didn't have start new thread on this topic.

Applesisapples

Maurice Deegan is a poor Referee, did he lose the match for Cross? Probably not. Had they taken their chances the game would have been out of site. The dependency on Oisin to slot over frees was also a poor reflection on the preparation. The issue is in a game where Cross allowed the margins to become small Deegan did make the difference for St Bridgids. But as I said Cross set that situation up. Deegan has always been a poor ref and Croke Park keep appointing him, he didn't just become poor on Saturday past.