China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 28, 2020, 11:24:55 AM
Quote from: seafoid on September 27, 2020, 08:40:50 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 27, 2020, 08:18:43 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 27, 2020, 05:40:52 PM
And of course the Chinese economy will grow this year, it did have a lockdown but it got the job done and the economy came back.

Yep - fundamentally the quicker you intervene and the heavier that intervention - the better you will be in the long run.

The west at large continue to dither and dilute measures and unfortunately this winter (without any vaccine) is likely to see grim statistics as a result.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-09-25/us-coronavirus-expert-dr-anthony-fauci-cautiously-optimistic-we-will-have-vaccine-by-christmas

Unfortunately (and somewhat counter intuitively) this could be quite bad timing.

A vaccine available in quantities of a few million this winter could lead to folks largely dismissing measures and going back to normal life thinking "its all right, there is a vaccine now" - but with absolutely no chance of herd immunity being built up due to the insignificant number of vaccinations available, it'd then be a bit of a disaster in terms of virus spread.

Hopefully not of course, but its something you could easily see happening.

Especially in the US you could see Trump declaring victory because of a vaccine that would not be available in any quantity until summer 2021 and everyone having a great Christmas on this basis, leading to lockdown January and many people dying a few weeks from a vaccine being available.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GJL

Quote from: armaghniac on September 28, 2020, 11:32:59 AM
And of course the Chinese economy will grow this year, it did have a lockdown but it got the job done and the economy came back.

Yep - fundamentally the quicker you intervene and the heavier that intervention - the better you will be in the long run.

The west at large continue to dither and dilute measures and unfortunately this winter (without any vaccine) is likely to see grim statistics as a result.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-09-25/us-coronavirus-expert-dr-anthony-fauci-cautiously-optimistic-we-will-have-vaccine-by-christmas

Unfortunately (and somewhat counter intuitively) this could be quite bad timing.

A vaccine available in quantities of a few million this winter could lead to folks largely dismissing measures and going back to normal life thinking "its all right, there is a vaccine now" - but with absolutely no chance of herd immunity being built up due to the insignificant number of vaccinations available, it'd then be a bit of a disaster in terms of virus spread.

Especially in the US you could see Trump declaring victory because of a vaccine that would not be available in any quantity until summer 2021 and everyone having a great Christmas on this basis, leading to lockdown January and many people dying a few weeks from a vaccine being available.

He could be gone by then.... fingers crossed.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: highorlow on September 28, 2020, 09:09:02 AM
Looks like a new nasal spray can be developed as a preventative measure. Only going to human trials. Is there no quicker way to test these things quicker?

We have plenty of scum around the world in jails that might want to repent and give something back to the world.

A very Duterte like approach.

Milltown Row2

Daughter is staying in Halls at Queens and they have closed one of the blocks and the students must stay in and isolate!

Been a horrible experience for first year students, and the learning experience is a bit crap also, but hey, they need the money I suppose
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tyrdub

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 28, 2020, 01:16:09 PM
Daughter is staying in Halls at Queens and they have closed one of the blocks and the students must stay in and isolate!

Been a horrible experience for first year students, and the learning experience is a bit crap also, but hey, they need the money I suppose

Now now, I work in QUB, was up in the halls at Elms last week, even your hair would go curly with some of the stories I heard lol

johnnycool

How are they enforcing that?

are you heading up with the food parcels later?

Maroon Manc

Feel sorry for them, Uni's took the piss earlier this year by refusing to give any discount and now this.

Any idea why they are reporting students in halls may not be allowed home for xmas? Its 12 weeks ago, I'm not following the logic.

Milltown Row2

They are patrolling the Hals and if people are not adhering to the rules they'll let the students know of what's expected and if they still don't adhere to that then warnings will be given. I guess the approach of isolating a block rather than the whole place is a better option, the kids are being asked where they are going when they leave the grounds lol! 

On a floor you've 11 rooms, and kitchen sitting area, only 6 are allowed in at one time, and obviously no one is allowed into the dorms..

As Tyrdub has said some kids are taking the piss, imagine 18 year old's away from the house going a bit mad! My problem is why open the Halls and then have online lessons (which are pre recorded, not live) is it purely money?

I'd be happy to save myself a few quid and my daughter stay at home and do the lessons at home
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I think students are being shafted. This whole thing is just blame one group of people after another - they're the latest in a long line which will most likely get longer.

I don't understand why they're paying to stay in halls and then going to online lessons. It doesn't make any sense barring money.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 28, 2020, 04:16:10 PM
I think students are being shafted. This whole thing is just blame one group of people after another - they're the latest in a long line which will most likely get longer.

I don't understand why they're paying to stay in halls and then going to online lessons. It doesn't make any sense barring money.

True, basically the Covid response that I've seen in most is quick, lets blame so and so.....as long as it's ok for me to go about my daily routine.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 28, 2020, 04:16:10 PM
I think students Parents are being shafted. This whole thing is just blame one group of people after another - they're the latest in a long line which will most likely get longer.

Fixed that  ;)

macdanger2

Quote from: GJL on September 28, 2020, 11:49:47 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on September 28, 2020, 11:32:59 AM

He could be gone by then.... fingers crossed.

He'll be there until Jan at a minimum

Farrandeelin

Meanwhile in Galway there were loads of people congregating around the Spanish Arch area last night.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyCake

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 29, 2020, 09:24:07 AM
Meanwhile in Galway there were loads of people congregating around the Spanish Arch area last night.

It's time to bring out the Taser gun

armaghniac

Quote from: BennyCake on September 29, 2020, 09:30:46 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 29, 2020, 09:24:07 AM

It's time to bring out the Taser gun

One of those high pitched noise generators or playing Big Tom records might be less likely to have you accused of breaching human rights.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B