Club Training during lockdown

Started by thebackbar1, January 04, 2021, 04:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

I definitely understand your point JoG2, I'm not on the wind up.

Look definitely, wouldn't your way be best? Sure. Of course.

But the GAA has said that the All Ireland is starting in less than 12-16 weeks. How can they not expect men that driven to train from here on? You know yourself, men need something to do. They are going to do it, really up to each of us and our opinions if that's right or wrong. The GAA don't offer these lads a whole pile of money and they do rightly out of them.

With regards to testing, it wouldn't be premier league standard but they had to, by law test every county panel I think it was. How many times? I wouldn't imagine a pile.

Angelo

Quote from: JoG2 on January 07, 2021, 04:04:36 PM
Quote from: Angelo on January 07, 2021, 04:03:02 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on January 07, 2021, 03:39:47 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 07, 2021, 03:11:56 PM
Quote from: skeog on January 07, 2021, 02:39:28 PM
Time for a wise up its the ego driven management of some counties for what purpose.

I understand your point. But look, the vaccine is here.

In Northern Ireland on or around 38 to 40 times more people have now been vaccinated than died from Covid. Just take a minute to comphrend that, 38 to 40 times more, so around 50,000 highly vulnerable people/NHS staff/Carers have now received the first dose of their immunity from Covid.

The reason for lockdown is to protect the NHS. The vaccination will start to show in numbers....actually, today showed a drop in rates so, look, it's time to start getting things back to relative normality.

Covid 19 is never going away. It's going to be around forever. Simple as that. The reason for lockdown was to buy the NHS / Hospital services time. They'll have that by the end of January.

Some lads here just don't want to move on from the doom. Honestly.

Yes, a few days into the vaccination programme and it's time to let rip?

The usual hysterical reaction from a fool who can't frame a decent argument.

Blah blah blah.

What a master debater.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

marty34

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 07, 2021, 11:25:21 AM
Quote from: oneclubonelife on January 07, 2021, 11:17:36 AM
What is wrong with people on County Boards that allow managers to bring together players for group training. Before anybody asks how does anybody know that training is ongoing it is happening. Can people not see how contagious this disease is and even the deniers who say it doesn't affect young people - catch yourself on. Croke Park needs to have the b**ls to take action now and call a halt to all activities until it is safe and enforce this ruling . Counties who are training need to be severally punished and banned from playing in any championship games in 2021.

You realise you are asking Croke Park to hold amateur players, to professional standard?

This is where the GAA leaves itself open by continuing to play up the amateur ethos. So you want Down banned from playing Championship in 2021? Who covers the costs of them not entering? Who pays back the sponsors? Did you ever think the players WANTED to train?

I would imagine Down County Board read about training like the rest of us.

Are they not classes as 'elite' athletes?

Tally and the management needs to show a bit of leadership here. There's probably ways around this - can they train in pods?

GetOverTheBar

Someone out to cause trouble, County GAA is elite status. Whoever gave the local police the nod would know rightly Down train at Abbey (which isn't even GAA ground or property).

That's why the PSNI had no problem with it and went on their way.

square_ball

But the GAA have a problem with it as they have banned training of any kind for inter county squads just that very morning. The PSNI don't have a problem with it because it isn't breaking the government guidelines.

Whether it's right or wrong the GAA banned training is a different argument. I don't see the issue with GAA squads training to be honest.

Targetman

I think the PSNI were more concerned about Down's lack of a kick out strategy!!

twohands!!!

QuoteGAA to investigate if Cork footballers trained in breach of Covid-19 guidelines
Pictures on social media show men training on Youghal beach without social distancing

Barry Roche Southern Correspondent

The GAA has confirmed it has begun an investigation into reports that the Cork senior football squad breached the association's guidelines in relation to Covid-19 by holding a collective training session when such sessions were prohibited.

A spokesman for Croke Park confirmed to The Irish Times that it was investigating reports that up to 30 members of the Cork senior football panel were seen training at Youghal beach in east Cork on January 2nd.

"This matter is being looked into," said the GAA spokesman, adding that at the time the GAA had taken the decision that there would be no collective training permitted for inter-county teams until January 15th.

However on Monday, the GAA issued a revised directive to all county boards advising them that the prohibition on collective training for inter-county teams had been extended until at least January 31st.

Croke Park said that it had taken the decision to extend the ban on collective training due to "the current exceptional rise in infection rates of Covid-19 and the increased risk of community transmission."

The investigation by GAA HQ began after images were circulated on social media of a group of men doing various exercises under the apparent supervision of a number of individuals on Youghal beach.

The footage shows men crawling on the sand and pulling themselves along by their elbows and also carrying what appear to be planks over their heads in exercises reminiscent of the type seen at army boot camps.

The Irish Times contacted the Cork County Board of the GAA for confirmation the group involved were the senior footballers and if so, whether the exercise had been approved by team management and/or Cork County Board officials.

However Cork County Board CEO, Kevin O'Donovan declined to comment in response to The Irish Times's queries, which also asked whether any other Cork teams were involved in collective training in apparent breach of the guidelines.

According to Croke Park, anyone found to be in breach of the ban on collective training would be dealt with under Rule 7.2 (e) of the GAA Official Guide which relates to misconduct considered to have discredited the association.

Individual members of the GAA who have been found to have engaged in misconduct bringing discredit to the GAA face a minimum of eight weeks' suspension while disbarment and expulsion may also be considered.

And any GAA team or unit that similarly engaged in misconduct bringing discredit to the GAA faces a minimum of eight weeks' suspension where suspension is deemed appropriate.

The team or unit could also face a fine, while disqualification and expulsion from the GAA may also be considered as sanctions, the GAA confirmed in an email to The Irish Times.

A GAA spokesman clarified that Croke Park is examining the Cork footballers in terms of a breach of the guidelines only in relation to the collective nature of any training being prohibited at the time it's alleged to have taken place.

There is no investigation into any Cork player breaching the 5km limit on travel ordered by the Government as inter-county players are deemed elite athletes and as such are free to travel more than 5km to train or take part in sport.

The images of the men training on Youghal beach prompted a lot of angry comment on social media, with one person tweeting the photos showed the people ignoring social distancing and were "two fingers to frontline workers".

It's not the first time Cork GAA has found itself in the spotlight in relation to Covid-19 guidelines as, in October, there was an angry reaction on social media over images posted online following the Cork Senior Hurling Final.

Supporters of Blackrock GAA, who had won their first title in 18 years, posted images of the team bringing back the Sean Og Murphy Cup to the clubhouse on Church Road, with widespread breaching of social-distancing guidelines.

Local Fine Gael Cllr Des Cahill said the scenes on social media of crowds congregating on Church Road in breach of guidelines to welcome the team home was disappointing but he didn't believe it was intentional.

"Blackrock is the same as every other parish in the country and obviously after winning the county after a lapse of 18 years, emotions got the better of people and they didn't maintain social distancing, which was disappointing."

"Unfortunately, emotions ran high after the win and the guidelines weren't complied with out on the street – it wasn't intentional but I'm sure if they could turn back the clock and do things differently, the club would do so."

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-to-investigate-if-cork-footballers-trained-in-breach-of-covid-19-guidelines-1.4452555?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

https://twitter.com/_TonyLawlor/status/1345770335631794176

https://twitter.com/teachtynanteach/status/1345489556443779073?s=21

https://twitter.com/teachtynanteach/status/1345462620011204608/photo/1

https://twitter.com/teachtynanteach/status/1345462620011204608/photo/2

Milltown Row2

I don't mind them training, I think in a controlled outside environment with no huddles and minimal contact its fine..

There was some obvious differences last year in the leagues once they came back from 'lockdown', teams that did lockdown and teams that didn't..

so to keep it all right, let them at it, bit of common sense and regular testing and ensure the lads are all on the track and trace app
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Taylor

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 08, 2021, 09:09:01 AM
I don't mind them training, I think in a controlled outside environment with no huddles and minimal contact its fine..

There was some obvious differences last year in the leagues once they came back from 'lockdown', teams that did lockdown and teams that didn't..

so to keep it all right, let them at it, bit of common sense and regular testing and ensure the lads are all on the track and trace app

Most would tend to agree MR2 however the issue is that the GAA specifically instructed teams not to train

imtommygunn

Yeah it's the same with running clubs etc. Train on your own or organise your own groups but you can't be doing it as part of some official sports body or they'll be in trouble.

It's just the way it is at the minute. You can kind of see why it is. The GAA couldn't be seen to be advocating this while the country is at a standstill. Same with any sporting body.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Taylor on January 08, 2021, 09:19:06 AM

Most would tend to agree MR2 however the issue is that the GAA specifically instructed teams not to train

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 08, 2021, 09:26:00 AM
Yeah it's the same with running clubs etc. Train on your own or organise your own groups but you can't be doing it as part of some official sports body or they'll be in trouble.

It's just the way it is at the minute. You can kind of see why it is. The GAA couldn't be seen to be advocating this while the country is at a standstill. Same with any sporting body.

I can see that as well, and a bitta of savvy should have been used by the coaches... certainly nothing stopping lads heading to their local council ground and training 'individually' and kicking a few balls, striking a few balls...

Weights could be made available for lads, though I'm nearly 50, I've weights at home so you'd expect these lads have as well, and are well versed in using them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 08, 2021, 09:30:38 AM

I can see that as well, and a bitta of savvy should have been used by the coaches... certainly nothing stopping lads heading to their local council ground and training 'individually' and kicking a few balls, striking a few balls...

Weights could be made available for lads, though I'm nearly 50, I've weights at home so you'd expect these lads have as well, and are well versed in using them

You would be seriously surprised. There is county panellists that have never touched them until they get to that level. Makes me wonder why I bothered all these years to be fairly average.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on January 08, 2021, 09:40:04 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 08, 2021, 09:30:38 AM

You would be seriously surprised. There is county panellists that have never touched them until they get to that level. Makes me wonder why I bothered all these years to be fairly average.

I never went to the gym until I stopped playing!!! In fairness we were not encouraged either in my day!! Running up and down grassy banks with players on your backs was deemed better than the gym!!

Ah, this time of year would have been club pre season! Tuesday and Thursday night Falls Park! Torture, with challenge games on boggy pitches at the weekend. Oh to be in my 20's again

twohands!!!

8 week ban [at a minimum] for the Cork footballers on the cards surely. Can't see Down avoiding a ban either given the definition of collective training below.

At the moment Down and Cork have league games fixed for the 27th and 28th of February, so there is a possibility [depending on when their punishment starts] they will end up missing games/dropping points which given the shortened league structures could have big implications in terms of promotion/relegation.

QuoteRonan McCarthy says Cork 'fully compliant and committed to Covid protocols'
McCarthy confirmed the footballers were 'team building' in Youghal last weekend, but all activities on the beach were under the strict supervision of the medical team
Ronan McCarthy says Cork 'fully compliant and committed to Covid protocols'
Cork manager Ronan McCarthy: 'We are hugely conscious of our responsibilities to our players, backroom team and the wider public'.

THU, 07 JAN, 2021 - 21:29
TONY LEEN
Cork football manager Ronan McCarthy has rejected suggestions that members of the squad breached GAA Covid-19 guidelines by holding a collective training session on Youghal beach last weekend.

The GAA has, according to the Irish Times, "begun an investigation" into reports that up to 30 members of the squad were seen 'training' on the beach.

However, McCarthy has insisted the Cork squad and management have been compliant "at all times" with public health and Association guidelines – both during last year's Championship and again for pre-season preparation this month.

He told the Irish Examiner: "We are hugely conscious of our responsibilities to our players, backroom team and the wider public and are fully committed – as we have always been – to following Covid protocols, in particular during this difficult period of escalating numbers nationally."

McCarthy confirmed the footballers were 'team building' in Youghal last weekend, but all activities on the beach were under the strict supervision of the medical team, and all the appropriate guidelines and protocols were adhered to and enforced by a doctor.

There is no issue in relation to the 5km limit on travel as inter-county players are deemed elite athletes and may travel outside that limit to train or take part in sport.

Meanwhile, the Cork boss believes if his young players are given time and space, they are capable of winning an All-Ireland in the next couple of years.

McCarthy agreed recently to remain as Cork boss for the next two seasons and says while the Munster final loss to Tipperary was a disappointment, it wasn't a setback in terms of derailing the progress they've made.

"If Tipp had beaten Kerry in a Munster semi-final and we had beaten Tipp in the final, what judgement would people make of us then? I look at it over three seasons, and by any objective assessment we have improved," he says in an interview in Saturday's Examiner Sport.

"So while the Tipp game was a disappointment, it is not a setback. I am surprised people were surprised (that Tipperary won). Do I think this group can go on and consistently challenge the top football teams and beat them? All the ingredients are there for us to do that.

We are in a good place despite the loss to Tipp – there's stability and continuity there now, which was lacking in some aspects of Cork football for a while.
"You can't build anything without a stable foundation."

McCarthy has added new selectors in All-Ireland minor winning manager Bobbie Dwyer and ex-attacker John Hayes. The manager also confirmed that sports psychologist Kieran Shannon, a writer with this newspaper, will join the backroom team as a performance coach.

"You sit down and look to see how we can improve the set-up, make it more professional. Kieran (Shannon) is a fantastic addition, highly experienced, knows the inter county scene well, and is a Cork man, which also helps."

With the likes of defender Liam O'Donovan and forward Ciaran Sheehan not due back until the spring, McCarthy said he will wait until after the league to trim the Cork squad, but he confirmed keeper Mark White has re-joined the group and that Kevin Crowley will be ready for league action after a shoulder injury. Up-and-comers such as Daniel O'Mahony, Mark Cronin and Niall Hartnett will also be part of the League squad, he says.

The delay to February for a return to inter-county training is understandable so long as the GAA doesn't ask teams to resume league action in the same month, he says.

"A four-week run into a new League campaign would not be great when there's no option to play matches or challenge games. I am assuming at this stage that the (League fixtures) fixtures will also be delayed."

On Cork's new sponsorship deal with Sports Direct, the Cork manager said he trusts the people in charge.

"It's important too for a manager to stay in your lane, to trust those running the county board that this is a good deal for Cork GAA."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40203011.html

Ronan McCarthy seems to be clueless here - the issue is collective training, not whether or not they were following the rules in relation to COVID.

The GAA regulations issued January 1st and the update extending it to the end of the month.

https://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-issues-advice-on-covid-19-restrictions/
https://www.gaa.ie/news/no-collective-training-permitted-for-inter-county-teams-in-january/

Definition of collective training from the rule book

QuoteCollective training: Collective training is where one or more player(s) is/are required to be at a specific place at a specific time on a specific date.

The normal penalties are

QuotePenalties for breaches:
Senior Inter-County panels: The team shall forfeit Home Venue for its next 'Home Game' in the National League.

All Other Panels:
Team Penalty: removal from competition.

Person(s) in charge of the Team: 24 weeks suspension

Looks like the powers that be have decided because of COVID stricter penalties than normal will apply (based on the updates from GAA.ie]

Quote(e) Misconduct Considered to have Discredited the
Association.

Penalties:
Member - A minimum 8 weeks suspension. Debarment and Expulsion from the Association may also be considered.

Team/Unit - Where suspension is deemed appropriate - a minimum of 8 weeks. Expulsion from the Association,
Disqualification, a Fine, Deduction of Points in League Competitions (not Championship) may also be considered.