Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: skeog on September 14, 2021, 07:31:47 PM
Not ruthless Darragh injured last week.

I thought Lorcan Quinn was in the squad all year and McAnely replaced Gallen.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Jayop

Morgan - 30
McNamee - 30
Harte - 30
M. Donnelly - 30
T. McCann - 30
Sludden - 29
McCurry - 28

Any concerns about any of the lads calling it a day? There's a big fall off once lads hit 30, I doubt too many of them will have more than a handful of seasons and that's really the spine of the team. If we could get another few years of them and then you'd be looking at the minors from this year starting to break through we could be OK.

NotedObserver

Quote from: Jayop on September 14, 2021, 10:28:08 PM
Morgan - 30
McNamee - 30
Harte - 30
M. Donnelly - 30
T. McCann - 30
Sludden - 29
McCurry - 28

Any concerns about any of the lads calling it a day? There's a big fall off once lads hit 30, I doubt too many of them will have more than a handful of seasons and that's really the spine of the team. If we could get another few years of them and then you'd be looking at the minors from this year starting to break through we could be OK.

Can't see it. These boys will probably want to play at the highest level for as long as they can and will step away when they can no longer contribute. All look after themselves

ONeill

Morgan - 30
McNamee - 30
Harte - 30
M. Donnelly - 30
T. McCann - 30
Sludden - 29
McCurry - 28

Didn't realise they were that young.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: ONeill on September 14, 2021, 10:56:22 PM
Morgan - 30
McNamee - 30
Harte - 30
M. Donnelly - 30
T. McCann - 30
Sludden - 29
McCurry - 28

Yea their only puppies. Outfield players have at least five years each and Niall Morgan has probably fifteen years left toughly.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on September 14, 2021, 11:09:00 PM
Quote from: ONeill on September 14, 2021, 10:56:22 PM
Morgan - 30
McNamee - 30
Harte - 30
M. Donnelly - 30
T. McCann - 30
Sludden - 29
McCurry - 28

Yea their only puppies. Outfield players have at least five years each and Niall Morgan has probably fifteen years left toughly.

Not too many inter county players still playing who are in their mid 30's nowadays. It is a serious commitment and it is not the fitness or body that dictates retirement.
Most times it is a lifestyle choice, lads gets married, have kids, change careers etc.
These are some of the main reasons players retire as they enter the 30's.
Take Colly Cavanagh as a recent example who cited kids and starting a new company as his reason for the stepping away. The time commitment required to play for a top inter county side is phenomenal, it is basically professional in terms of what is required

HokeyPokey

Morgan - 30
McNamee - 30
Harte - 30
M. Donnelly - 30
T. McCann - 30
Sludden - 29
McCurry - 28

I think the 03-08 era team had more individually great players in the first 15, but there's 30 or more players where there wouldn't be a massive step down in the current panel. The 03-08 team was breaking new ground and did get caught out when there wasn't something to prove as much. I think they should have won more. This team still isn't rated fully by the nation, has the back-to-back to look to and 3 AIs to aim to surpass. So I think the above players will stick around for another season or two at least.

The above are all brilliant players, but I think there are other good players who could come in and do a job, and there are more players coming through. I think Morgan, as a GK, could keep going for a few years and only now seems to have fully hit his stride, but he does have a young family. Though, Gallen looked very good in that game he played a few years back. McNamee is the only one of the above where I can't yet think of another player with a similar profile to replace him.

redhandefender

Quote from: HokeyPokey on September 16, 2021, 09:07:41 AM
Morgan - 30
McNamee - 30
Harte - 30
M. Donnelly - 30
T. McCann - 30
Sludden - 29
McCurry - 28

I think the 03-08 era team had more individually great players in the first 15, but there's 30 or more players where there wouldn't be a massive step down in the current panel. The 03-08 team was breaking new ground and did get caught out when there wasn't something to prove as much. I think they should have won more. This team still isn't rated fully by the nation, has the back-to-back to look to and 3 AIs to aim to surpass. So I think the above players will stick around for another season or two at least.

The above are all brilliant players, but I think there are other good players who could come in and do a job, and there are more players coming through. I think Morgan, as a GK, could keep going for a few years and only now seems to have fully hit his stride, but he does have a young family. Though, Gallen looked very good in that game he played a few years back. McNamee is the only one of the above where I can't yet think of another player with a similar profile to replace him.

McNamee has a club mate who could replace him handy enough there

kickitin

Quote from: redhandefender on September 16, 2021, 09:27:02 AM
Quote from: HokeyPokey on September 16, 2021, 09:07:41 AM
Morgan - 30
McNamee - 30
Harte - 30
M. Donnelly - 30
T. McCann - 30
Sludden - 29
McCurry - 28

McNamee has a club mate who could replace him handy enough there

i'm looking forward to hearing who this is.. mc glinchey? moss? byrne? dolan?

Jayop

Getting a while feeling from listening to a few radio interviews and podcasts that McShane isn't the most popular member of the panel, at least not with a few lads especially Morgan.

Can't tell if it's more than a bit of good natured jibing or more deep seated.

tyrone08

Quote from: Jayop on September 16, 2021, 08:55:23 PM
Getting a while feeling from listening to a few radio interviews and podcasts that McShane isn't the most popular member of the panel, at least not with a few lads especially Morgan.

Heard the Morgan interview. Who else has been saying it. Colm cavanagh said Morgan and mcshane were cutting lumps out of each after training

tyrone08

Does anyone know if you can watch the final back on sky online

Jayop

Quote from: tyrone08 on September 16, 2021, 09:00:29 PM
Quote from: Jayop on September 16, 2021, 08:55:23 PM

Heard the Morgan interview. Who else has been saying it. Colm cavanagh said Morgan and mcshane were cutting lumps out of each after training

The original Morgan interview, the colm cav comments on that and then the morgan and meyler comments on the BBC sounds pod from monday.

Jayop

Quote from: tyrone08 on September 16, 2021, 09:36:56 PM
Does anyone know if you can watch the final back on sky online

I dunno but the full game is there on youtube in HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0MVMs4nxx4

ONeill

Quote from: square_ball on November 25, 2020, 05:44:02 PM
Fergal Logan a free run at it with a team of Dooher, Holmes, McMahon and Pete Donnelly back in according to radio Ulster.

See quote and onwards. Most of us saw it as a good move. What's the plans next year?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.