Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayop

tyrone08

I have this feeling that tyrone haven't clicked as of yet. I may be wrong. But if they click as a whole unit including the forwards they could do some serious damage. I only hope it will be in Sat 11 September.

nrico2006

Quote from: Jayop on September 01, 2021, 06:19:29 PM
Sluddens was worse.

I dunno, his was bad but I would say McCurrys was worse as the ball was away and there was nothing to be gained from doing what he did.  It was just lazy.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

cjx

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 01, 2021, 04:10:41 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on September 01, 2021, 12:46:32 PM
Are the kickouts something to worry about? Is it possible tyrone didn't mind conceding the kickout because it would lead to kerry running possession into trouble and an inevitable tyrone turnover and score?

I can't imagine thats true.  Far too risky to be at that craic,  Kerry had too many sniffs of goal and its something I would hope is tightened up on for the final.  Additionally, I would hope/imagine Tyrone should even improve on fitness, intensity etc. for the final given the two weeks training they will have as well as the fact that they are 2 weeks further recovered from COVID.

What did Mark Bradley do that was so bad in the Ulster Final?  If we are going to permanently bench every player who has ever had a bad game, there wouldn't be any players left to start the final.  Some fans are very fickle, Bradley has been a brilliant player for Tyrone but has never had a consistent run given various reasons.  I think of the criticism dished out so easily to our players over the years and it seems to take forever for some folk to change their opinions.  I'm thinking of Colm Cavanagh, Harte, McShane and McGeary etc.  Is Bradley next on the hit-list?

As for the block, brilliant piece of play from a brilliant player but not as good as Gormleys block, from either a technical, timing or significance perspective.

Tyrone didn't contest Kerry kick outs and only logical reason is to keep them short away from Moran and a belief they could strip the ball from Kerry coming down the field as they. As pointed out in paper today it was surprizing Kerry didn't go long anyway as Tyrone's long kick out strategy failed and it seems  Kennedy and Kilpatrick whilst getting stronger are not ready for a catching contest with the likes of Moran yet. But great promise and they will soon be there I believe. Still I'd see Mayo playing O'Shea at midfield mostly as Tyrone strength there isn't great I believe. I think McShane must start so drop Kilpatrick for Donnelly to be named at midfield but Donnelly can't afford the 3/4 sloppy weak passes shot he had against Kerry. McKenna and McCurry feeding off McShane looks very good surely? I would bring on Bradley for McKenna on 50min to steady things against Mayo unless goals are badly needed. Very intelligent footballer but given to bad early shot selection tho Tyrone were much better and patient in this area against Kerry than before; learnt from Dublin I suppose and its a key area for success. Harte brilliant and strong  in many ways but still think he is not a great tackler with body shape wrong and could be used by Mayo to get frees. Anyway Tyrone have about 7-8 good half forwards and so some will have to play out of position. Watching Clifford his trick was often feint and step aside to get the 2 yard space. Both McNamee and Hampsey fell for that too easily lost him and Horan etc. will have picked up on that. Can't easily separate Mayo and Tyrone but think Dublin's collapse in shape and discipline was far worst than Kerry's failings so Tyrone may have the edge. I wonder will Oisin Mullin be back for  Mayo big tall and skillful add him to O'Donoghue's determined engine with Conroy's speed and shooting will make a dangerous young (mainly) forward line for a Tyrone defense which isn't as good as years gone by so far I think but McGeary's determination and leadership should carry them clear as he covers every inch from one 45 to the other. And for God's sake don't let Morgan take frees from out near sideline unless to waste time. He has to improve his kicking next time (and they need to plan much more on movement to get men free to give him targets; a big hoof up the middle won't do unless to vary things once or twice (and he missed several shorter ones against Kerry whilst clearly kicking as ordered in the plan  for that day) but his outfield play is mostly good   ;)

WT4E

Quote from: Snapchap on September 01, 2021, 10:27:12 AM
Quote from: Wee Roddy on September 01, 2021, 10:00:30 AM
Quote from: WT4E on August 31, 2021, 04:21:07 PM
What a servant Petey Harte is.

I've been on here a while and boys have been calling him 'the nephew' and taking shots at him over the years but he has been so reliable.

He's done everything asked of him over the years and any position he's played he's played well (nearly them all at this stage) The only time he has been poor in games is when the opposition decide to target him but with more options now that's a thing of the past.

AND WHAT A BLOCK .... better than Gormleys and that takes some doing!

It was a great block, but to say that is was better than Gormelys is ridiculous and that isnt me having my Carrickmore cap on. Watch Gormleys again. The ground he made up was unreal, never mind the timing of the block

Yeah a bit of a mad comparison. Also, considering that Spillane was running at a bad angle, a goal was no certainty had the block not happened. With Gormleys, it was a certain goal, and was right at the death in an All-Ireland final. A good block but crazy to compare the two in terms of ground made up, pressure, timing, etc.

In fact, when you watch Harte's again, he almost had time to stop his run before making the dive - a split second of time that Gormley did not have the luxury of!

I knew would get a Carmen backlash but as I said Gormley's block was great but some of the points made make me put Peteys slightly ahead of it.

Blocking when having to time it to the point where you nearly have to stop or may get dummied is harder than coming from behind someone who doesn't know your coming. McDonnell never saw Gormley coming which is testament to Gormley but there was no other outcome other than kick and be blocked or not blocked.

I'm not sure there was huge difference on running angles and we also will never know if either player would have scored the goal but the only thing is that I believe that if either goal went in Tyrone would not have a cup in the end (Mayo result dependent)

Tyrone11234

Did everyone get tickets alright? Seemed to be no bother with club members who go to Tyrone games

Under Lights

Quote from: Tyrone11234 on September 04, 2021, 09:26:45 PM
Did everyone get tickets alright? Seemed to be no bother with club members who go to Tyrone games

Yeah no issues for anyone that coaches, takes a committee job, helps at fundraisers etc

CK_Redhand

Watched the 2013 and 2016 mayo games there. Very little between the teams and Tyrone just didn't get the rub of the green.  Roman mcnabb could have been a star but it wasn't to be.

Lee keegan is a great player and deserves an all Ireland but some of his cuteness and game management leaves a bad taste. I wonder will he get his comeuppance in the form of a black or red and could that be telling.

Excitement building for next week I can't wait. Up Tyrone.

square_ball

Quote from: Under Lights on September 05, 2021, 08:18:52 AM

Yeah no issues for anyone that coaches, takes a committee job, helps at fundraisers etc

And the humble club player should be on that list as well if not at the top of it. Very few in a club gives as much of their time as the player himself.

Mikhailov

Quote from: square_ball on September 05, 2021, 10:38:41 AM

And the humble club player should be on that list as well if not at the top of it. Very few in a club gives as much of their time as the player himself.

100% correct

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: CK_Redhand on September 05, 2021, 10:28:16 AM
Watched the 2013 and 2016 mayo games there. Very little between the teams and Tyrone just didn't get the rub of the green.  Roman mcnabb could have been a star but it wasn't to be.

Lee keegan is a great player and deserves an all Ireland but some of his cuteness and game management leaves a bad taste. I wonder will he get his comeuppance in the form of a black or red and could that be telling.

Excitement building for next week I can't wait. Up Tyrone.
Oisin Mullan's fitness will have a big bearing. If Mayo can play Mullin full back and free Lee Keegan to the half back line it will be a big boost to them.

Jim Bob

Yes what what about the other half  and childer? They wanna go too...

Cobra

Quote from: Jim Bob on September 05, 2021, 12:14:00 PM

Yes what what about the other half  and childer? They wanna go too...

No bother with tickets. Got one for the wife as well.

NotedObserver

No luck with tickets. Missed the club deadline 😭. Need one for anywhere. On the roof would be okay as well

Jayop

That Larry in the match thread is come craic lol.