Donegal v Dublin NFL

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, February 20, 2007, 01:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

After the debacle that was the McKenna cup final, can Donegal raises themselves for this crunch match, a win I believe will almost guarantee Donegal a place in semi's with the "easier" games to come!!
I think that the lads will learn alot of leasons from sunday and will hopefully be practising their free taking and shooting for the rest of the week.
Home advantage should show through and Donegal to win by 3 points.
Tbc....

tyroneman

Quotea win I believe will almost guarantee Donegal a place in semi's with the "easier" games to come!!

Right enough you won't get much easier than Kerry and Tyrone....both fighting to win the NFL and Fermanagh & Limerick...both fighting to stay in Div 1  :D

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Easier as compared to last years AI semi finalists!!! Smart-hole!  ;)
Tbc....

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

thejohnharanexperi

Yeah! that's right it's thejohnharanexperience

tyroneman

QuoteWhat ground is it in?

La la land  by the sounds of GDA......................... ;D

J70

Michael Doherty may get a start if the free taking was that bad. He's been doing well for Sligo IT. We definitely need to get something from this game to get the show back on the road. Plus, we haven't beaten the Dubs in quite a while now, even in the league.

If you're heading for Ballyshannon, Gnevin, dress warm! Its cold and windy at that pitch in the height of summer!

lynchbhoy

should be a good game.
Donegal going very well right now and will give Tyrone a run in ulster for the championship.
Dublin still to find a settled team and form yet.
Would expect Donegal to win..

Northside Dub

Just wondering is the game on saturday night or sunday afternoon?? Hurlers stealing some of the light from the footballers how dare they ;)
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

Gnevin

Any one know of a bus running up ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

dubsnsubs

Dublin make two changes in personnel to their team for Sunday's game with Donegal in Ballyshannon (2.30).

The alterations see Barry Cahill replace Paul Casey at wing-back and Tomas Quinn replace his club-mate Diarmuid Connolly in the forwards.

DUBLIN (SF v Donegal) - S Cluxton; D Henry, N O'Shea, P Griffin; B Cahill, B Cullen, G Brennan; D Magee, R McConnell; C Keaney, T Quinn, D Murray; D O'Callaghan, K Bonner, A Brogan. Subs: J Leonard, P Casey, D Connolly, C Prendeville, J Magee, C Moran, C Goggins, C Whelan, B Brogan.

This is the final confirmation to me that we are officially non runners for any honours this year.  The management appear clueless to even try something new in the full back line while it is fairly obvious that Niall O' Shea is not a full back. Paul Casey doesnt start for the first time under this management but it appears we are now clutching at straws. Dropping Connolly is also disappointing!

INDIANA

i'd give dublin a chance i don't know what to make of donegal- talented enough to win an al-ireland -mentally just don't seem to have it- seem to have bulked up so much to the detriment of their speed this year. When you look at the talent they have -they should be doing  hell of  al ot better than they are - and to be honest you'd wonder whether mc ivor is the man for the job. they will largely try to kick the shite out of dublin in ballyshannon and may succeed but dublin haven't a bad record up there- i think if donegal decide to apply themselves and pick the best team they have -could go close to the all-ireland -problem is that you never know what you're going to get on any given day from them- must drive their managers insane.

Gnevin

Quote from: dubsnsubs on February 20, 2007, 10:47:47 PM

This is the final confirmation to me that we are officially non runners for any honours this year.  The management appear clueless to even try something new in the full back line while it is fairly obvious that Niall O' Shea is not a full back. Paul Casey doesnt start for the first time under this management but it appears we are now clutching at straws. Dropping Connolly is also disappointing!

I don't know i  think its pretty much the changes i would of made with the expec for O'Shea who's not doing it for me . Cahill in for Casey and Quinn for Connolly is a good move .

Also if Magee doesnt do the job in this game it could be time for him to go he's had so many chances

Gnevin

Why isn't Ryan, Cosgrove and Shocko  on the bench?
And i see our captain isnt good enough to start again   ??? ???

J70

Quote from: INDIANA on February 20, 2007, 11:53:00 PM
i'd give dublin a chance i don't know what to make of donegal- talented enough to win an al-ireland -mentally just don't seem to have it- seem to have bulked up so much to the detriment of their speed this year. When you look at the talent they have -they should be doing  hell of  al ot better than they are - and to be honest you'd wonder whether mc ivor is the man for the job. they will largely try to kick the shite out of dublin in ballyshannon and may succeed but dublin haven't a bad record up there- i think if donegal decide to apply themselves and pick the best team they have -could go close to the all-ireland -problem is that you never know what you're going to get on any given day from them- must drive their managers insane.

McIvor's only been in the job for a year, give the man a chance!

He was a bit hamstrung last year by the lack of forwards: Devenney and McFadden sat out the year; Michael Doherty was injured for much of it; Eddie Sweeney is getting past it; Christy Toye and Michael Hegarty each suffered from a major loss of form; and McIvor was forced to rely on a few untried youngsters and lads like Rory Kavanagh and Conal Dunne who had been knocking around the panel for a couple of seasons without making an impact. Throw in the loss of probably our best player Kevin Cassidy, and it wasn't an ideal situation by any measure. Whether the relative improvement in the availability of forward players will make the difference remains to be seen, as Devenney and McFadden each blow very hot and cold. Kevin McMenamin does appear to be a valuable addition though.

I certainly don't see us as contenders for the All Ireland, barring the better teams knocking each other out and us getting a favourable draw (a la the Dubs last year) and producing a big performance on the day against the likes of Tyrone. Given that we have to get by Armagh AND Tyrone to reach the final, I can't see us winning Ulster either. We can beat either, but I don't think we have what it takes to put two big performances back to back, which is basically what you're saying I suppose! Given that a lot of the current team are young, maybe there are some leaders there who will emerge and make the difference. Appointing Neil Gallagher and Karl Lacey captain and vice-captain respectively is a start, but we'll see.

As for the poor, fragile Dubs, I've yet to see a Dublin team get hammered in the physical stakes! :P