The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneboi

Quote from: trileacman on November 05, 2010, 08:30:30 PM
Quote from: tyroneboi on November 05, 2010, 03:54:50 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on November 05, 2010, 03:10:25 PM
I really like the look of Ireland from 6-15. Heaslip, Wallace and Ferris are awesome players on their day and having a lot of the Leinster players plus the very impressive Tommy Bowe in the back line should make for good play in that sector.

On the down side the front five is questionable to say the least going up against the best forwards in the world from South Africa. We could be badly outgunned in the second row wit hMatfield and Bakkies Botha going up against Mick O'Driscoll and O'Callaghan. The front row might be ok if Buckley scrummages well.

The weather forecast on the BBC website for tomorrow is good, so I will go for an Irish win.

Yeah agree with this - those positions more or less pick themselves these days with only maybe O'Leary or O'Gara having a chance of getting picked there before the World Cup. Though O'Leary will probably come into the team ahead of Reddan when he returns from injury. Irish backs are certainly better than SA but unfortunately its vice versa for the forwards. I am looking forward to the battle between Habana and Bowe and hopefully BOD is close to 100% because that SA midfield looks very weak. I would like to have seen Sean O'Brien in the 22 instead of Leamy. If we can get the scrum or lineout winning our own ball then I think we will win by about 7 or so otherwise it could be a huge anti climax for the opening rugby test at the Aviva. Im also glad its not a sell out as the IRFU has made an absolute balls of their ticketing and prices for these Autumn internationals. They are living on a different planet to the fans.
There is nothing outstanding about positions 6-15. Reddan and Sexton are inferior to the SA half-backs.

A big if there.

Really?? Piennar is lucky to be getting a game at 9 and Steyn whilst being an outstanding kicker is much of a muchness to Sexton IMO. I would take Irelands 9-15 over the one South Africa are putting out tomorrow any day of the week.

INDIANA

true but id take sa's 1-6 any day over ours.

tyroneboi

Quote from: INDIANA on November 05, 2010, 10:07:19 PM
true but id take sa's 1-6 any day over ours.

Our front five are in for a tough day tomorrow no doubt particularly in the lineout where there is no better than Botha and Matfield.

Dinny Breen

I take it no-one on this thread actually watched the tri-nations this year where the SA front were hardly the world beaters many seem to think they are. Only Botha in the row when not suspended showed any sort of form. Of course the selection of Mick O'Driscoll and Tony Buckely in the Irish team beggars belief but shows how shallow the Irish talent pool really is considering the alternatives.

I'm heading up today quietly confident we'll win if we do well at the breakdown, forget your scrums and line-outs it's on the deck that this game will be won or lost (generally there is at least 4 times as many rucks as line-outs and scrums put together). Shocked that O'Brien hasn't been selected in the starting XV never mind the squad.

If the weather holds up expect quite an open game and Ireland to win by 5-10 points...
#newbridgeornowhere

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: trileacman on November 05, 2010, 08:47:52 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2010, 08:41:39 PM
There is nothing outstanding about positions 6-15. Reddan and Sexton are inferior to the SA half-backs.

Heaslip, BOD and Bowe on form are as good as anyone.

Ferris, Wallace, Kearney, Fitzgerald and D'Arcy have never let us down and are capable of delivering in any game.

Reddan should be fine and Sexton really adds to our back play regardless of who his opposite number is.
Scotland and England games last year? He adds to our back play but is to the detriment of controlling the game.
"Controlling the game" in rugby seems to be a euphemism for sitting deep in the pocket with the comfort of more time and space to kick away the ball.

I can't see Ireland getting to the last 4 in the World Cup, with a game plan of kicking for the corners and hoping to steal line outs.

Bord na Mona man

A big test for Buckley against the Beast. Ireland badly need him to pass it though, as having to go back to playing Hayes would be a serious set back.

INDIANA

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 06, 2010, 10:20:29 AM
I take it no-one on this thread actually watched the tri-nations this year where the SA front were hardly the world beaters many seem to think they are. Only Botha in the row when not suspended showed any sort of form. Of course the selection of Mick O'Driscoll and Tony Buckely in the Irish team beggars belief but shows how shallow the Irish talent pool really is considering the alternatives.

I'm heading up today quietly confident we'll win if we do well at the breakdown, forget your scrums and line-outs it's on the deck that this game will be won or lost (generally there is at least 4 times as many rucks as line-outs and scrums put together). Shocked that O'Brien hasn't been selected in the starting XV never mind the squad.

If the weather holds up expect quite an open game and Ireland to win by 5-10 points...

Really and truely if we cant beat this boks team we neddn't bother travelling to the WC. Thats the bottom line.

CiKe

for me game will be won and lost in the back row. SA 1-5 over ours definitely, our 9-15, probably. 6-8 is key with Juan Smith and Ferris the pick of the battles - Ferris is up against it. Don't know much about Stegman to be honest, Heaslip I'd take over Spies most of the time, though if he gets going he can be impressive

Hardy

Arra FFS! BBC taking the RTÉ commentary so no escaping that annoying little hoor Nugent. I hope this is not a long term arrangement.

FermGael

What would happen if there is an attempted drop goal, its short but it takes a freak bounce and bounces over??
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

trileacman

Quote from: tyroneboi on November 05, 2010, 10:01:20 PM
Quote from: tyroneboi on November 05, 2010, 03:54:50 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on November 05, 2010, 03:10:25 PM
I really like the look of Ireland from 6-15. Heaslip, Wallace and Ferris are awesome players on their day and having a lot of the Leinster players plus the very impressive Tommy Bowe in the back line should make for good play in that sector.

On the down side the front five is questionable to say the least going up against the best forwards in the world from South Africa. We could be badly outgunned in the second row wit hMatfield and Bakkies Botha going up against Mick O'Driscoll and O'Callaghan. The front row might be ok if Buckley scrummages well.

The weather forecast on the BBC website for tomorrow is good, so I will go for an Irish win.

Yeah agree with this - those positions more or less pick themselves these days with only maybe O'Leary or O'Gara having a chance of getting picked there before the World Cup. Though O'Leary will probably come into the team ahead of Reddan when he returns from injury. Irish backs are certainly better than SA but unfortunately its vice versa for the forwards. I am looking forward to the battle between Habana and Bowe and hopefully BOD is close to 100% because that SA midfield looks very weak. I would like to have seen Sean O'Brien in the 22 instead of Leamy. If we can get the scrum or lineout winning our own ball then I think we will win by about 7 or so otherwise it could be a huge anti climax for the opening rugby test at the Aviva. Im also glad its not a sell out as the IRFU has made an absolute balls of their ticketing and prices for these Autumn internationals. They are living on a different planet to the fans.

A big if there.

Really?? Piennar is lucky to be getting a game at 9 and Steyn whilst being an outstanding kicker is much of a muchness to Sexton IMO. I would take Irelands 9-15 over the one South Africa are putting out tomorrow any day of the week.

30 minutes gone. I'd take every SA player bar BOD at the minute. Ireland making Gio Aplan look like a good FB.
Sexton is dirt, no game control at all. Flaky kicker too.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Capt Pat

A poor enough start from Ireland.

orangeman

Capt Pat

Between moving to a smaller stadium and not selling all the tickets they have cut the attendance from last year in 2.

I won't let them use the weather as an excuse as it wasn't that bad before and at kick off time. At last years match I sat in freezing fog and coukd hardly see half the game.

screenexile

Absolutely Brutal from Ireland . . . we are in for a long long season I reckon!!