The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

exactly - bigger fish to fry in the next 2 away games. 3- 0 would have done against the italians
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

thewobbler

To be honest the only substitution that I found strange was Trimble. Of Ireland's back 3, he was the only one who looked remotely threatening or on form today.

The rest of the guys taken off were all tired or taken off for precautions.

Just a few thoughts. Paddy Wallace's cameo summed up everything that's limited about O'Gara's game. Italy won't get beat beaten by 20+ points by anyone this year - they're extremly professional and determined, and know how to shut things down. Cullen was a more than adept replacement for O'Callaghan. Court might just put the Bull pasture by the end of the season.

All told, considering it was basically a "B" team on the field for the last quarter, it wasn't a bad performance, just not particularly inspiring.

Bord na Mona man

Paris will be tough. Ireland usually get run ragged in the first 20 minutes.
Some of the recent scorelines have been air brushed a little by Ireland tacking on consolation scores at the end.

However the sort of average performance sets it up nicely to improve matters.

turk

Ireland should beat France in Paris. Of course by the time the match takes place the media will have beaten down Ireland's chances by talking up the mammoth task ahead etc.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: turk on February 06, 2010, 09:14:02 PM
Ireland should beat France in Paris. Of course by the time the match takes place the media will have beaten down Ireland's chances by talking up the mammoth task ahead etc.
In this case, the media would have good enough cause though.
History isn't on Ireland's side.

Ireland vs France results in Paris since the French left Colombes.

2008 Lost 26 - 21 Stade de France
2007 Lost 22 - 3 Stade de France (WC)
2006 Lost 43 - 31 Stade de France
2004 Lost 35 - 17 Stade de France
2002 Lost 44 - 5 Stade de France
2000 Won  27 - 25 Stade de France
1998 Lost 18 - 16 Stade de France
1996 Lost 45 - 10  Parc des Princes
1994 Lost 35 - 15 Parc des Princes
1992 Lost 44 - 12 Parc des Princes
1990 Lost 31 - 12 Parc des Princes
1988 Lost 25 - 6 Parc des Princes
1986 Lost 29 - 9 Parc des Princes
1984 Lost 25 - 12 Parc des Princes
1982 Lost 22 - 9 Parc des Princes
1980 Lost 19 - 18 Parc des Princes
1978 Lost 10 - 9 Parc des Princes
1976 Lost 26 - 3 Parc des Princes
1974 Lost 9 - 6 Parc des Princes

turk

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on February 06, 2010, 10:01:36 PM
Quote from: turk on February 06, 2010, 09:14:02 PM
In this case, the media would have good enough cause though.
History isn't on Ireland's side.

Ireland vs France results in Paris since the French left Colombes.

2008 Lost 26 - 21 Stade de France
2007 Lost 22 - 3 Stade de France (WC)
2006 Lost 43 - 31 Stade de France
2004 Lost 35 - 17 Stade de France
2002 Lost 44 - 5 Stade de France
2000 Won  27 - 25 Stade de France
1998 Lost 18 - 16 Stade de France
1996 Lost 45 - 10  Parc des Princes
1994 Lost 35 - 15 Parc des Princes
1992 Lost 44 - 12 Parc des Princes
1990 Lost 31 - 12 Parc des Princes
1988 Lost 25 - 6 Parc des Princes
1986 Lost 29 - 9 Parc des Princes
1984 Lost 25 - 12 Parc des Princes
1982 Lost 22 - 9 Parc des Princes
1980 Lost 19 - 18 Parc des Princes
1978 Lost 10 - 9 Parc des Princes
1976 Lost 26 - 3 Parc des Princes
1974 Lost 9 - 6 Parc des Princes

Just because something happened before doesn't mean it will happen again! By your argument, uruguay would be going for their 19th straight world cup, limerick would be winning the all ireland football every year and preston north end would win the EPL yet again. Ridiculous!!

Olaf

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on February 06, 2010, 04:19:02 PM
Struggling to remember a 6N game that was worse...

THe 6N has been poor for a number of years now. Rarely do you see a good game of rugby, Ireland were awful today agianst a dreadful Italian team and both were bereft of ideas behind the scrum.

Substitutions did shke it up a bit though and Ireland then became more inventive. Couldn't undertsand the subbing of Trimble though as he was the only back showing threat with ball in hand , which is what the game was crying out for ???

Aerial ping pong is now killing the 6Ns IMHO.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: Olaf on February 07, 2010, 08:15:15 AM

THe 6N has been poor for a number of years now. Rarely do you see a good game of rugby, Ireland were awful today agianst a dreadful Italian team and both were bereft of ideas behind the scrum.

Substitutions did shke it up a bit though and Ireland then became more inventive. Couldn't undertsand the subbing of Trimble though as he was the only back showing threat with ball in hand , which is what the game was crying out for ???

I don't really follow "club" rugby but from what I hear it's as bad.  Eng/Wal wasn't much better.  From a spectating point of view rugby is poor, the lawmakers will have to do something about the constant kicking.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Hardy

What's the problem with kicking the ball in a game called rugby football?

Dubh driocht

Was at my first ( and probably last) non-GAA game in Croke yesterday. Enjoyable, but not a patch on Newbridge today  ;).The forwards were good despite inconsistent refereeing- O'Connell and Cullen VG, David Wallace covered great ground and tackled like a demon.ROG was super but it was a privilege to see O'Driscoll, in my top ten of greatest living Irishmen.Will be an interesting comparison with the up and coming French centre Bastareaud next week- my money will still be on the Clontarf man. Italian fans were great, especially the guy with the Horse's head outside the Cusack afterwards ( ironically had watched the Godfather on Friday night for umpteenth time). We will need Ferris next week- any word on him ?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on February 07, 2010, 09:14:23 AM
Quote from: Olaf on February 07, 2010, 08:15:15 AM

I don't really follow "club" rugby but from what I hear it's as bad.  Eng/Wal wasn't much better.  From a spectating point of view rugby is poor, the lawmakers will have to do something about the constant kicking.

Agreed-I hate it.

Hardy

Any takers? What's wrong with kicking the ball in a game called rugby football?

stephenite

Quote from: Hardy on February 08, 2010, 09:35:01 AM

I'm not sure that there's anything wrong with it per se, but it has become a more prevalent tactic and it's shocking bad to watch.

I'd prefer to see more forwards mauing and rucking, setting the platform for the smaller lads to run through holes in the line.

But no more than Gaelic Football and it's sometime pecuilar brand of rugby league, there's no rules broken and the winners won't give a fcuk

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Hardy on February 08, 2010, 09:35:01 AM
Better still, shoot for the posts instead of the corner flags.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjLjLiOCeXA

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Dubh driocht on February 07, 2010, 10:26:29 PM
We will need Ferris next week- any word on him ?
Yep, badly needed as the French back row can be destructive.