The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

http://www.fijirugby.com/pages.cfm/fru-news?newsid=europe-diary-day-14--sean-hurler

Not sure if this was posted earlier

Europe Diary Day 14 - Sean the hurler

20 November, 2009
The Irish weather is doing its utmost best to upset preparations for the Flying Fijians as the team struggled to find a training ground yesterday morning - the one intended for use was closed because of the wet and windy conditions.

However the boys' spirits remain high and during their lunchtime break the team was introduced to the Gaelic sport of hurling by Irish Fijian hurling star Seán Óg Ó hAilpín. It was an event organized by Fiji Rugby Union sponsor Digicel and despite being tired and worn out from their mornings exertions the players threw themselves into the hurling session with great aplomb.

Sean's heritage - mother Rotuman and father Irish - seems to have combined to produce a person who speaks like a Jamaican Rastafarian - his accent causing great mirth among the players.

In the afternoon it was back to the hard grind for the players, however there was a bit of release in the evening with the boys being treated to dinner out of the hotel. I think everyone appreciated getting out of the hotel confines for one night - even if it was only for a couple of hours.

However to be fair to the hotel – Radisson St. Helens< Dublin, I'd have to say that it's an absolutely brilliant hotel and as in Scotland everyone has looked after us extremely well.

At the hurling training session at lunch time Graham Dewes was introduced to Sean as also being a Rotuman. Sean looks at Graham and asks in perfect Rotuman - what island are you from? The rest of the team crack up laughing and poor Graham (being very much a kiwi Rotuman who's never learnt the language) is left scratching his head.

Sometimes we go right around the world only to be undone by one of our very own!

Take care all. Moce mada.

trileacman

Quote from: muppet on November 21, 2009, 09:26:44 PM
Quote from: trileacman on November 21, 2009, 09:17:51 PM
so O'gara or sexton for SA?

For me, O'Gara. he's the safer bet.

They will start O'Gara but I would go for Sexton. Earls also did enough.

I assumed earls position was guaranteed given fitzgeralds injury? ??? who were the other options?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

tyroneboi

I too would go for Sexton because they will learn more about him in that game than any other. We all know what ROG brings to the team but its not as if this is a must win game against South Africa. We might as well see if Sexton is good enough now than wait until O'Gara has an injury and he has to be thrown in at the deep end come the 6 nations. If it was a World Cup game against South Africa then the tried and tested O'Gara would start no question or doubt about it but now is the time to have a little bit of experimentation.

My team would be Healy, Flannery, Hayes, DOC, POC, Ferris, Wallace, Heaslip, O'Leary, Sexton, Earls, Darcy, BOD, Bowe & Kearney. Though if Reddan and Cullen started I wouldnt be too displeased either.

Hoof Hearted

i agree with everything tyroneboi said there. makes perfect sense. you know what ROG brings, but against the world champions, it's a perfect game to see if Sexton can cut it. If he can, then if O'Gara starts the 1st 6 Nations match, he will be under bigger pressure than normal, and i then think we will see a better O'Gara. If he is under no pressure, he is too relaxed.

must shower now, after agreeing with a tyrone boy  :D :D
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

screenexile

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 22, 2009, 03:33:46 PM
i agree with everything tyroneboi said there. makes perfect sense. you know what ROG brings, but against the world champions, it's a perfect game to see if Sexton can cut it. If he can, then if O'Gara starts the 1st 6 Nations match, he will be under bigger pressure than normal, and i then think we will see a better O'Gara. If he is under no pressure, he is too relaxed.

must shower now, after agreeing with a tyrone boy  :D :D

Yeah don't get me wrong I'm not saying we should ditch O'Gara but I think 2 years ahead of the World Cup is the time to be testing who will be his replacement. O'Gara will be at the World Cup no doubt but I don't think he is the one to lead us through that particular campaign... in fairness I have reservations about him doing it for the upcoming 6 nations. Yes he has a cool head and will be a good man to close a game out but I think Sexton is who we have to look to for creativity and invention to get us in those positions in the first place. Definitely has to get decent game time against SA either he should start or get a good half hour in I think.

ludermor

How many times has a young lad been thrown in at the deep end, had a disaster then had his confidence shattered? He may come through but whats the point in rushing him.  This time last year he was light years away from where he is now but he is riding the crest of wave now and hasnt had any real setback since he started to shine. Id give him some game time against SA but wouldnt start him, there are still a few games in the HC and if he is still flying then give his chance in the 6 nations

INDIANA

Quote from: ludermor on November 22, 2009, 05:46:55 PM
How many times has a young lad been thrown in at the deep end, had a disaster then had his confidence shattered? He may come through but whats the point in rushing him.  This time last year he was light years away from where he is now but he is riding the crest of wave now and hasnt had any real setback since he started to shine. Id give him some game time against SA but wouldnt start him, there are still a few games in the HC and if he is still flying then give his chance in the 6 nations
why not start him in a test game as oppose to a 6 nations game?.Nothing at stake next week.

ludermor

Nothing at stake but that doesnt stop people having bad games

muppet

Quote from: trileacman on November 22, 2009, 02:43:58 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 21, 2009, 09:26:44 PM
Quote from: trileacman on November 21, 2009, 09:17:51 PM
so O'gara or sexton for SA?

For me, O'Gara. he's the safer bet.

They will start O'Gara but I would go for Sexton. Earls also did enough.

I assumed earls position was guaranteed given fitzgeralds injury? ??? who were the other options?

The guy who was on the other wing yesterday?
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: ludermor on November 22, 2009, 06:07:05 PM
Nothing at stake but that doesnt stop people having bad games

On that basis you'd never start anyone under 25. If you're good enough youre old enough and he's good enough. Needn't fear kidney has already said ROG is satrting.

ludermor

i dont mean it that drastic but you have to admit Sexton has come on a very long way in a year, id love him to keep progressing but do we need to put him in front of the wolrd champions?

Tankie

Sexton was great lastnight and watching him was worth the admittance fee....he better get some game time next week but i fear he will not get off the bench
Grand Slam Saturday!

tyroneboi

He has already been thrown in at the deep end at the end of last season. From a club perspective it doesn't get any bigger than being put on against your big rivals in a European Cup semi final and then to kick the winning points in the final. I hope Kidney does start him or at least gives him 30 mins. Plus South Africa are at the end of a very tough season and in theory shouldn't be as formidable as they were a couple of months ago.

Tankie

Grand Slam Saturday!

Hoof Hearted

Fair fucks to Kidney, wouldnt have happened under Eddie

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jonathan Sexton has usurped Ronan O'Gara for the Ireland number 10 jersey ahead of Saturday's eagerly-awaited clash with South Africa at Croke Park.

Coach Declan Kidney has gone for the young Leinster fly-half after his five-star showing last week against Fiji.

There are six changes from that game with Cian Healy, David Wallace, Donncha O'Callaghan, Tommy Bowe, Paddy Wallace, and Tomas O'Leary all returning.

Denis Leamy has overcome injury to be named amongst the replacements.

Also on the bench is Munster's Tony Buckley who gets in ahead of Ulster's Tom Court.

Peter Stringer gets the replacement scrum-half role instead of Eoin Reddan, and sits beside his long-time partner O'Gara.

Not since the retirement of Ulster's David Humphreys five years ago has O'Gara found himself under any pressure, and dropped.

While Sexton's inclusion will be called a shock, it was not totally unexpected that he got the call.

Cian Healy returns to the Ireland loose-head berth to face South Africa 
Since Humphreys's retirement, Ireland have had trouble finding cover for O'Gara, although Ulster's Paddy Wallace has proved a very able deputy when the need arose.

Sexton, though, showed no nerves during his international debut last week and produced a mature performance, including a 100 per cent kicking record.

Under the tutelage last season of Argentina great Felipe Contepomi, Sexton has become an astute on-field tactician with the added confidence to try something different and exciting.

Facing the Springboks will be the biggest test to date for the 24-year-old and one that will show whether he really is the real deal.

Kidney, meanwhile, has not tampered too much elsewhere.

He goes with Wallace as skipper Brian O'Driscoll's midfield partner after the Ulsterman had a fine game against the Wallabies two weeks ago.

As expected Cian Healy returns to the front row at Court's expense with Leo Cullen also giving way for the return of O'Callaghan.

Leamy is included in the replacements following what originally looked a serious ankle injury against Fiji. If he is forced out before the weekend, Leinster's Sean O'Brien will step in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ireland: R Kearney; T Bowe, B O'Driscoll, P Wallace, K Earls; J Sexton, T O'Leary; C Healy, J Flannery, J Hayes, D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell; S Ferris, D Wallace, J Heaslip.
Replacements: S Cronin, T Buckley, L Cullen, D Leamy, P Stringer, R O'Gara, G D'Arcy.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012