Clubs formed from splits in other clubs

Started by Orior, October 03, 2017, 09:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: J70 on October 05, 2017, 03:39:24 PM
Bundoran and Aodh Rua were formed when St. Joseph's split in the late 70s  (Joseph's formed, in turn, from an amalgamation in the early 60s).

St Joseph's won an Ulster club back in the mid-70s and the first two "unofficial" ones in the late 60s. Not bad for 15 years or so of existence! Not sure if their dominance is why they split (7 Donegal senior championships in 11 years and 4 in a row before they split up again)

McEniff and Martin Carney would be their best known players.

Bloody hell is Carney a Donegal man!! Never knew that  :-X :-X

Gabriel_Hurl

Pretty sure he was on their team of the Millenium

The head on him here hahaha

Owenmoresider

Bundoran and Aodh Rua were formed when St. Joseph's split in the late 70s  (Joseph's formed, in turn, from an amalgamation in the early 60s).

St Joseph's won an Ulster club back in the mid-70s and the first two "unofficial" ones in the late 60s. Not bad for 15 years or so of existence! Not sure if their dominance is why they split (7 Donegal senior championships in 11 years and 4 in a row before they split up again)

There was a book done some years back on the club championship there which I think said that the county convention had voted not to allow amalgamations in the SFC any more around 78/79, so the two clubs went their separate ways.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: naka on October 04, 2017, 02:03:08 PM
Quote from: Orior on October 03, 2017, 09:11:30 PM
Quote from: ardchieftain on October 03, 2017, 09:07:17 PM
Was it not Shane O'Neills and Carrickcruppen?

Yes. My mistake. Over a security related issue?

when I was a kid Cruppen were the only senior team in the area, indeed 5 championship finals in a row 77-82
corrinshego set up by Gerry Oreilly and a few( he had been a full back on the cruppen team
poynpass then were set up( the Canavans who played with the county were from poyntspass

Shane O Neills were around in the 60s then were set up again in the 80s with regard to a fall out etc
geraldines were set up as cruppen were not allowed to put a second team in the league, it was blocked by cross ( who funnily enough have a second team now that St Johns who were set up in cross in the 80s disbanded)  It fell away when cruppen began struggling for numbers

all the clubs save for the pass are doing ok at senior,
its underage which will eventually catch up with them

I remember Cruppen's set dancing team in the 80s in the Scór. They were hard to beat.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 05, 2017, 07:11:16 PM
Quote from: naka on October 04, 2017, 02:03:08 PM
Quote from: Orior on October 03, 2017, 09:11:30 PM
Quote from: ardchieftain on October 03, 2017, 09:07:17 PM
Was it not Shane O'Neills and Carrickcruppen?

Yes. My mistake. Over a security related issue?

when I was a kid Cruppen were the only senior team in the area, indeed 5 championship finals in a row 77-82
corrinshego set up by Gerry Oreilly and a few( he had been a full back on the cruppen team
poynpass then were set up( the Canavans who played with the county were from poyntspass

Shane O Neills were around in the 60s then were set up again in the 80s with regard to a fall out etc
geraldines were set up as cruppen were not allowed to put a second team in the league, it was blocked by cross ( who funnily enough have a second team now that St Johns who were set up in cross in the 80s disbanded)  It fell away when cruppen began struggling for numbers

all the clubs save for the pass are doing ok at senior,
its underage which will eventually catch up with them

I remember Cruppen's set dancing team in the 80s in the Scór. They were hard to beat.

Decent ballad group also, iirc.

vallankumous

St Brigid's Castleknock and  in Dublin
Two big clubs

Owenmoresider

Timely one from Leitrim - Leitrim Gaels was a split out from Allen Gaels (Drumshanbo) and St Mary's (Carrick) about 20 years ago. They have slowly come up the ranks and are in the Interemdiate final this Sunday.

J70

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 05, 2017, 04:00:13 PM

Ballyshannon man.

His brother, a priest, was principal of St Eunan's College for years. I'm assuming Carney himself moved to and played for Mayo due to work?

J70

Quote from: Owenmoresider on October 05, 2017, 04:33:44 PM

There was a book done some years back on the club championship there which I think said that the county convention had voted not to allow amalgamations in the SFC any more around 78/79, so the two clubs went their separate ways.
So I'm assuming their "super club" dominance was the reason for this action?

stephenite

Quote from: J70 on October 06, 2017, 10:54:41 AM

Ballyshannon man.

His brother, a priest, was principal of St Eunan's College for years. I'm assuming Carney himself moved to and played for Mayo due to work?

Jackie Carney was either his Grandfather or Uncle and was an All Ireland winner with Mayo in 1936 and trainer of the All Ireland winning 50/51 teams.

In a sense Martin came home.

PW Nally

Quote from: stephenite on October 06, 2017, 11:04:50 AM

Ballyshannon man.

Jackie Carney was either his Grandfather or Uncle and was an All Ireland winner with Mayo in 1936 and trainer of the All Ireland winning 50/51 teams.

Some of his Midwest radio commentary

https://youtu.be/lEp1NZwD1Gg

J70

Quote from: PW Nally on October 06, 2017, 11:13:48 AM
Quote from: stephenite on October 06, 2017, 11:04:50 AM

Ballyshannon man.

Some of his Midwest radio commentary

https://youtu.be/lEp1NZwD1Gg

WTF??  ;D ;D

magpie seanie

Midwest radio is the place for his commentary in fairness. Terrible.

northsideboy

In Dublin I can think of Ballymun Kickhams and Na Fianna, Ballyboden St. Endas and Ballyboden Wanderers for starters.

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...