Mullaghbrack GFC Versus The GAA.

Started by stew, September 30, 2017, 02:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 03, 2017, 02:26:04 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 03, 2017, 02:24:34 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 02, 2017, 10:00:10 AM
Camogie and Ladies Football are Gaelic Games, but not Gaelic Athletic Association games.

Correct and it's absolutely ridiculous. Both should be fasttracked into the GAA as should the Masters organisations (is there Masters hurling?). We hear about golf clubs that don't allow female members - the GAA has no outlet for female players. It's nuts.

To be fair, I think it's the women's associations themselves that don't want to be in the GAA. I think Camogie came closest a while ago, but they want autonomy over their fixtures, sponsorships etc.

Sure give it to them - let them run it whatever way they want. I'm sure the GPA aren't told how to run their affairs.

Eamonnca1

Camogie and Ladies Football are Gaelic Games, but not Gaelic Athletic Association games.

Correct and it's absolutely ridiculous. Both should be fasttracked into the GAA as should the Masters organisations (is there Masters hurling?). We hear about golf clubs that don't allow female members - the GAA has no outlet for female players. It's nuts.

To be fair, I think it's the women's associations themselves that don't want to be in the GAA. I think Camogie came closest a while ago, but they want autonomy over their fixtures, sponsorships etc.

That's correct. In the US the ladies sports are all under the USGAA's umbrella which makes things run a lot smoother. Women are well represented in just about every committee and every meeting.

armaghniac

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 03, 2017, 02:31:43 PM

Sure give it to them - let them run it whatever way they want. I'm sure the GPA aren't told how to run their affairs.

In the context of this thread the issue presumably is access to facilities and the like. Should they get access to facilities when they are not part of the association and when they provide few facilities in return?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

I think it's fairly widespread that the womens' sports get treated very well in the GAA by clubs etc. Of course women are an integral part of the GAA proper, so it's only right that their games are treated with respect. I know in our club for example that the camogie teams are rostered on the hurling wall, and the pitches, for training and matches just like the hurling and football mens teams. And that's as it should be. The camogie club helps with coaching in schools, boys and girls.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 03, 2017, 08:15:49 PM
I think it's fairly widespread that the womens' sports get treated very well in the GAA by clubs etc. Of course women are an integral part of the GAA proper, so it's only right that their games are treated with respect. I know in our club for example that the camogie teams are rostered on the hurling wall, and the pitches, for training and matches just like the hurling and football mens teams. And that's as it should be. The camogie club helps with coaching in schools, boys and girls.

Kinda makes you wonder what's the point of them having separate organizations.

magpie seanie

Do girls teams get the same access to county or provincial centres of excellence? I have my doubts. There's no good reason why the organisations should be separate. If it is to do with paid officials losing out I don't see why this would be the case. The GPA again are an example - I'm pretty sure their paid officials still got paid when they were brought into the tent.

We can't have anything less in place for females than we have for males. At present the LGFA/CA relies on the goodwill of the GAA. That's not good enough in my book really.

AZOffaly

Seanie, we can't *force* them to join. You make it sound as if it is a GAA choice.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 05, 2017, 01:25:11 PM
Seanie, we can't *force* them to join. You make it sound as if it is a GAA choice.

I haven't said anything about forcing anyone to do anything.

What I'm say is I'm sure there are members of all of the organisations concerned posting here and we should all use our influence to make the common sense outcome come about ASAP.

If there's some good reason I'm missing as to why this shouldn't happen I'd love to hear it.

AZOffaly

There isn't in my book, and I don't think the GAA have any issues with it. But you said "we can't have anything less in place for females than we have for males. At present the LGFA/CA relies on the goodwill of the GAA. That's not good enough in my book really."

By 'we' I assume you mean the GAA. And if so the only reason we have anything less is because the women's associations want it that way. Which is why I said we can't force them to join.

stew

If they dont want to join rent them the facilities and treat them like you would the rugger buggers or the sawker heads when they use croker, simples.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stew on October 06, 2017, 10:14:32 AM

If they dont want to join rent them the facilities and treat them like you would the rugger buggers or the sawker heads when they use croker, simples.

Not sure if the GAA rents to them for All Irelands etc, but why would you treat them the same as the rugby or soccer lads? They are not competitors, they are sister organisations, no pun intended, and are intrinsically linked at club level all the way up and down the country. Not to mention most of 'them' are also 'us' given their membership of GAA clubs as well.