Are we a Christian Society?

Started by DuffleKing, April 29, 2014, 10:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you accurately describe your day to day status

Devout Christian, actively practicing your religion within traditional guidelines
6 (11.3%)
Christian, living to the prescribed values and making mass when you can
17 (32.1%)
Lapsed with no interest in organised Religion or formalities
12 (22.6%)
Believer but anti / angry with organised Religion
6 (11.3%)
Humanist
12 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: May 29, 2014, 10:09:40 AM

DuffleKing

With the Catholic Church in disarray, just where is the mind of this country spiritually?

screenexile

Would describe myself as Agnostic.

Made a deal with the Missus that I'll go to Mass twice a month (go maybe once).

I think there is a God and I've been brought up a Catholic so it's the only way I know to worship him but I don't believe he's going to strike me down for not going every week. The Church annoys me quite a bit with the constant cry for money all the time. Our Parish have 3 Parochial Houses and the main Parochial house would be well over £250k... why the f**k does a Priest need to live in a £250k house?!!

The cover ups, the Magdalene Laundries, the Chrisitian Brothers' issues; I don't understand how everyone can be so forgiving of these and still let the Catholic Church take up such a huge part of their life.

The more I think of it the more it frustrates me but then I've seen first hand the comfort it gives people in times of grief so I find myself biting my tongue on a lot of occasions when a serious conversation comes up about faith.

PS. This 'cure' nonsense is probably the most ridiculous witch doctory I've ever heard! I went over on my ankle and the wife told me to see some doll who has a 'cure' for it... mental!

Hereiam

I don't think there is a god I believe when you die your worm food. Its as simple as that. Religion is a form of control over the population. We humans need to be afraid of something so that we turn to the rulers for comfort and security. The smart people seen this long ago and used to there advantage.
Climate change is the latest, make every one think that the world is going to die because of human activity and then the governments have there best scientists try to come up with ways to prevent it. This keeps people happy because their protectors are looking out for them. Isn't it funny how a western country leader will never come out with a statement saying that if we pray to our god maybe he will do something to change this terrible climate back to way it was.

Hardy

Given that you believe in (the Christian) god, what's the "worship" thing? Why would you want/need to "worship" anybody or anything?

screenexile

Quote from: Hardy on April 29, 2014, 12:22:53 PM
Given that you believe in (the Christian) god, what's the "worship" thing? Why would you want/need to "worship" anybody or anything?

Good point... I don't really know. I guess it's been ingrained in me. Worship is really the wrong word, I would say an odd prayer or two and thank God if something went well but worship is a bit strong I guess. I do believe there is something/someone up there so why not say thanks an odd time when things are good or ask him for a bit of help when needed.

I know he/she probably has more pressing things on their mind but it's conditioned into me I suppose so I do it anyway as it gives me some small comfort if I'm honest.

Hardy

Quote from: screenexile on April 29, 2014, 12:27:41 PM

Good point... I don't really know. I guess it's been ingrained in me. Worship is really the wrong word, I would say an odd prayer or two and thank God if something went well but worship is a bit strong I guess. I do believe there is something/someone up there so why not say thanks an odd time when things are good or ask him for a bit of help when needed.

I know he/she probably has more pressing things on their mind but it's conditioned into me I suppose so I do it anyway as it gives me some small comfort if I'm honest.

BTW, it was a general question, not aimed at you in particular.

Maybe "worship"  is just used as a general term for praying or thanking, or whatever. It always seemed funny to me that the god who was all powerful and held the fate of the universe at his whim wanted to be worshipped and even praised, never mind thanked and loved! Is he a little insecure, or what, to be fretting about whether I love him?

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on April 29, 2014, 12:35:45 PM

Maybe "worship"  is just used as a general term for praying or thanking, or whatever. It always seemed funny to me that the god who was all powerful and held the fate of the universe at his whim wanted to be worshipped and even praised, never mind thanked and loved! Is he a little insecure, or what, to be fretting about whether I love him?

Oh shite, Tony F is god.   :-\
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

J70

Quote from: Hardy on April 29, 2014, 12:35:45 PM

And apparently knows who will and won't worship him in advance. In which case, why bother? What does he get out of seeing the beings he creates do whatever he knows they will do. Doesn't he get bored?

Puckoon

Interesting question - but a flawed poll.

There is no option for those who believe in living life with what are traditionally described as Christian values (i.e. goodness, treating others as you would like to be treated, forgiveness etc...) yet who don't subscribe to the preached doctrines of Christianity nor practice any degree of religious worship. Is Humanist the catch all option for that?

AZOffaly

No, I believe that falls under 'Smug Bastards'

;)

Puckoon

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 29, 2014, 04:21:20 PM
No, I believe that falls under 'Smug b**tards'

;)

You can get rid of them with ducks, salt, or pellets I believe I read somewhere.

AZOffaly

Pangurban

We have a strong Christian core, whose aim is to create a genuine pluralist society. Regettably an increasingly hostile, bigoted, ill informed media, led by R.T.E. and lacking any form of tolerance or balance, will not rest until our society is secularist and devoid of any values. They must be opposed in every forum, if the Faith our ancestors suffered and died to pass on is to survive.

The Iceman

It's hard to say where the mind of Ireland is with regards to spirituality. I think it varies with generation. I am obviously no longer in Ireland but my sister and a lot of my friends are very much involved with the church at home and it would seem that there are a lot of young people involved in their faith and hungry for it.
The older generations would be too, but I think more from an old superstitious standpoint rather than any real "relationship". Then you have the majority of people frequenting this board - the generations in between who are mostly non-believers.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Boy Wonder

Hardy - just wondering if your lowercase "g" in God was deliberate ?   ;)
Re. worship (and I know your question is whimsical) - most Christians tend to try to attend Mass/Service on a regular basis and it serves as an anchoring point in their lives.