James McClean

Started by thewobbler, July 19, 2015, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: GJL on October 18, 2015, 01:11:07 PM
Fair play to him. The lad stands up for what he believes in.

And in fairness, he has not said anything out of order when he does open his mouth.

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 18, 2015, 11:02:32 AM
Quote from: muppet on October 18, 2015, 10:47:45 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on October 18, 2015, 08:58:06 AM
So players are expected to take dogs abuse and not react. Is this because players are supposed to be "role models" and not just lads who can run about and kick a ball?

People need to cop on. He clenched his fist to give a wee bit back to the crowd who were at him all day. Fair play to him. The abuse probably drove him on to win the game so well done idiot Sunderland fans. Hope ye go down and bring big Sham with ye.

No. It is because professional footballers are expected to be professional.

What does that mean? Professional doesn't mean you're not human! I'm sure there were plenty of "professionals" abusing him.

It means you must behave according to your contractual obligations, which includes amongst other things, a code of conduct. If you don't want to be bound by a code of conduct, or any rules, don't sign the contract.

I expect him to face a disrepute charge, and imho he deserves it.

Why, like Balotelli, is it always McClean?
MWWSI 2017

mylestheslasher

Personally I think if some lout in the crowd is roaring sectarian abuse at you then you can goad away, f**k them. You may not like  McClean and maybe he is only an average footballer but he does possess some principles which in the modern day of filthy rich ball bags diving and cheating, is ok by me.

muppet

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 18, 2015, 09:51:07 PM
Personally I think if some lout in the crowd is roaring sectarian abuse at you then you can goad away, f**k them. You may not like  McClean and maybe he is only an average footballer but he does possess some principles which in the modern day of filthy rich ball bags diving and cheating, is ok by me.

Principles are fine, I agree with his not wearing the poppy for example. I wouldn't wear it.

But this has become a circus and everytime he reacts the circus gets bigger.

MWWSI 2017

nrico2006

Surely we should know now that in the opinions of some tubes on this board that it is not ok to give out or talk about GAA players as they are 'amateurs' but it is fine if someone is getting paid.

Not a big McClean fan but this weekends incident is nothing he should be condemned for, sticking the fist in the air to opposition fans is hardly a big deal and it really doesn't offend anyone either - on the otherhand though, the fans shouting sectarian abuse at him for 90 minutes are the ones in the wrong here but sure blah blah blah he is a professional and shouldn't react blah blah blah.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

illdecide

I agree with nrico here...a lot of you guys getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. He got verbally abused all during the game and went over after the game to shake his fist back at them to celebrate his teams victory and now he's a tool or whatever else he got called...FFS talk about making mountains out of molehills. He got stick and gave a bit back...end of story, doesn't matter if he's an amateur or a wealthy professional footballer. What difference does that make.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

imtommygunn

Sure loads of guys scoring in the premier league etc go over to away fans and put their hand behind their ear to suggest that they can't hear them any more. Happens quite regularly...

annapr

Tony Pulis summed it up pretty well when he said McClean isn't the sharpest tool in the box.
He's only causing more trouble for himself by doing stupid things like he did on Saturday.
He should just ignore it and get on with it,now he has only gone and made sure he will get even more abuse in the future, but then as Pulis indicated he probably hasn't the brains to realise that.

AZOffaly

Didn't Gary Neville do something similar to Liverpool fans after United got a late winner at Old Trafford? I don't see much harm in it to be honest. At least it shows they care a bit. McLean probably shouldn't get involved, as it would make life easier for him, but you know sometimes, f**k them.

balladmaker

Fair play to him, he's passionate about his football, the win meant a lot to him, so he's entitled to express his emotions at the end.  He clenched his fist, big deal, was hardly the Nazi salute or two fingers ffs. 

orangeman

Quote from: annapr on October 19, 2015, 09:51:23 AM
Tony Pulis summed it up pretty well when he said McClean isn't the sharpest tool in the box.
He's only causing more trouble for himself by doing stupid things like he did on Saturday.
He should just ignore it and get on with it,now he has only gone and made sure he will get even more abuse in the future, but then as Pulis indicated he probably hasn't the brains to realise that.

Pulis put it nicely alright without offending him.

The media will torture him. They will follow him round / set him up for the next episode.

HiMucker

Quote from: orangeman on October 19, 2015, 10:18:53 AM

The media will torture him. They will follow him round / set him up for the next episode.
Eh?  You wouldn't need to be the sharpest tool in the box to realise that pulis was insulting him  :D

laoislad

Quote from: orangeman on October 19, 2015, 10:18:53 AM

Yup,that's exactly what will happen. The guy is just making trouble for himself.
Of course it must be hard not to react but now that he has done the abuse will just get worse and the media will make huge deals about every little reaction now.
On MOTD2 they reported McClean lost the plot and never mentioned the Sunderland players losing the plot,this is the situation now McClean has put himself in all of his own making.The British media are never going to back him.
Not the sharpest is right.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ashman

Soccer fans think they can abuse a player for 90 minutes and then when same player says "see that boys" they get all insulted .

Sunderland fans should be channeling their anger elsewhere . 

McClean is an alright sort. 

laoislad

Quote from: illdecide on October 19, 2015, 08:53:47 AM
I agree with nrico here...a lot of you guys getting your knickers in a twist over nothing. He got verbally abused all during the game and went over after the game to shake his fist back at them to celebrate his teams victory and now he's a tool or whatever else he got called...FFS talk about making mountains out of molehills. He got stick and gave a bit back...end of story, doesn't matter if he's an amateur or a wealthy professional footballer. What difference does that make.
I'm not getting my knickers in a twist about anything. I couldn't care less what the chap does,and I don't think it was anything particularly bad he did,more stupid than bad.
All I'm saying is,for his own sake,he would be better off saying/doing nothing and getting on with playing football.
The guy has a reputation and doing something like he did on Saturday will only enhance that.
He ran the length of the pitch to goad the opposition fans,it was stupid thing to do.
He is making things worse for himself.I'm not sure how anyone could see it any other way.
As I said I don't really care all that much,I'm just giving my opinion so my knickers are perfectly untwisted thank you very much.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.