Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Were the u20s playing last night? If so how did they get on?

There was a good article in the irish news interviewing Niall Jackman. Pretty much covered what was covered here.

EOC1923

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 20, 2024, 08:25:03 AMWere the u20s playing last night? If so how did they get on?

There was a good article in the irish news interviewing Niall Jackman. Pretty much covered what was covered here.
The game is tonight, they took a fair beating by Tyrone (who are on of the best) but by recent Antrim standards that u20 team has some real good players in it.
Most worrying aspect of the article was the reality that whats coming behind these current u20s is of a much lower standard

imtommygunn

Yeah thought that was worrying too. Ah thought it was last night - cheers.

Spike

Quote from: EOC1923 on March 20, 2024, 08:33:27 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 20, 2024, 08:25:03 AMWere the u20s playing last night? If so how did they get on?

The game is tonight, they took a fair beating by Tyrone (who are on of the best) but by recent Antrim standards that u20 team has some real good players in it.
Most worrying aspect of the article was the reality that whats coming behind these current u20s is of a much lower standard

Worrying thought.

Maybe its time for Antrim to take the lead in alternative development rather than following in the slipstream of other counties. What is working for them isn't working for us. We don't appear to be any closer to catching up with the rest of ulster despite Dunsilly and the development squads. The only good thing about being at the bottom is the only way is up.

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Spike on March 20, 2024, 10:00:10 AM
Quote from: EOC1923 on March 20, 2024, 08:33:27 AM

Worrying thought.

Maybe its time for Antrim to take the lead in alternative development rather than following in the slipstream of other counties. What is working for them isn't working for us. We don't appear to be any closer to catching up with the rest of ulster despite Dunsilly and the development squads. The only good thing about being at the bottom is the only way is up.

To quote Jackaman "I make no apologies for saying it, culturally there's not the same emphasis put on it by players themselves"

There lies the problem with Antrim GAA as a whole

Milltown Row2

Here are the simple requirements of an intercounty player

Strength and conditioning
Nutrition
Endurance
Pace
Commitment
Attitude
Skill

There are more requirements and I deliberately put skill at the end cause you could have all the skill in the world but if lacking any of the above you won't cut it at intercounty level, at any grade.

We have all got those ballers who are the worst trainers. But give me 15 players with the 6 requirements above skill and I'll work with that over a lazy skillful players.

This is not a dig at any county  or player or management, these are the things a player has to bring to the table first before a manager can decide if he can use him.

The first 6 requirements are an individual thing, its called bluffing if you are not bringing that to the table.

At club level lads will, for their team, bring most of that, and that's why some teams punch above what their county as a hole are doing.

The buy in is a collective and I get that, that's from the set up all the way down to the kit man

The rowing can only be in one direction, someone rowing the other way doesn't work.

The standard needs set by player, by club, by school by parents and so on

For whatever reason, and I'm sure we could chat for another 50 years about it, Antrim does not have it in their locker  like the other Ulster teams 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NorthAntrim

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2024, 12:10:48 PMHere are the simple requirements of an intercounty player

Strength and conditioning
Nutrition
Endurance
Pace
Commitment
Attitude
Skill

There are more requirements and I deliberately put skill at the end cause you could have all the skill in the world but if lacking any of the above you won't cut it at intercounty level, at any grade.

We have all got those ballers who are the worst trainers. But give me 15 players with the 6 requirements above skill and I'll work with that over a lazy skillful players.

This is not a dig at any county  or player or management, these are the things a player has to bring to the table first before a manager can decide if he can use him.

The first 6 requirements are an individual thing, its called bluffing if you are not bringing that to the table.

At club level lads will, for their team, bring most of that, and that's why some teams punch above what their county as a hole are doing.

The buy in is a collective and I get that, that's from the set up all the way down to the kit man

The rowing can only be in one direction, someone rowing the other way doesn't work.

The standard needs set by player, by club, by school by parents and so on

For whatever reason, and I'm sure we could chat for another 50 years about it, Antrim does not have it in their locker  like the other Ulster teams 

I think the commitment and the attitude are the two most important. If you dont have them from an early age you're in bother

BrendanAntrim

Jackman is obviously well placed to comment on the state of underage football in Antrim, and maybe his points deserve an airing at some stage. But the timing of that article was appalling.

imtommygunn

Monaghan 2-8 Antrim 1-6 final score.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 20, 2024, 09:05:34 PMMonaghan 2-8 Antrim 1-6 final score.

Down drew with Tyrone 11 points to 1-08

Derry bate Down previously

Hard to work out

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Antrim U20s had a goal disallowed with a minute to go (ref gave free instead) and Monaghan grab goal in last minute to win it!

Better effort all round.

Saffsof82

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2024, 10:28:59 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 20, 2024, 09:05:34 PMMonaghan 2-8 Antrim 1-6 final score.

Hard to work out

Tyrone shot 17 wides !

NorthAntrim

Quote from: BrendanAntrim on March 20, 2024, 08:16:00 PMJackman is obviously well placed to comment on the state of underage football in Antrim, and maybe his points deserve an airing at some stage. But the timing of that article was appalling.

Seemed a lot more competative than expect. Maybe he provoked a reaction

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffsof82 on March 21, 2024, 09:10:17 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 20, 2024, 10:28:59 PM

Hard to work out

Tyrone shot 17 wides !

And Down had one wide.. Defensively Down set up well against Tyrone and put them under pressure

Not sure what that has to do with Antrim though

ck

Fair play to Jackman and U20s. Still a loss but after last week credit where credit is due.
The deep issues have not gone away but last night they can walk with their heads held high.