Drinking in the GAA - problem or not?

Started by Declan, January 17, 2013, 05:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

I think a major problem is that managers now want a complete ban on drink for x days/weeks before a big match, so when the opportunity to drink comes round again, fellas are desperate and feel the need to squeeze a few months worth of drinking into a few nights of drinking.
Previously the managers would be more relaxed and would just ask the players to take it easy, and so they'd only have a few pints on a night out, so there wasn't half the desire to have a huge session when the opportunity arose.

There's not much of a drinking problem when you're having a couple of pints on a regular basis. There's potential for drinking problems if you drink 'til you can't drink no more on an irregular basis

Declan

On reflection the thread title is misleading - I agree it's not a particular GAA problem rather a societal one it's just the Dr Rowe was using his experience of his involvement with Waterford.

I definitely notice a difference in drinking patterns from when I was playing / training etc - Maybe as I get older I get more Victor Meldrew like but the emphasis on lorrying drink into you and particularly shorts/shots etc is something that I never saw 15/20 years ago. The self imposed drinking bans etc and the more scientific approach to elite players definitely means there's less scope for lads to have a few jars hence I think the need to go ballistic when they get the chance- not specifically talking about "elite" players in that regard either just lads playing senior/intermediate level.

camanchero

yep Dec, years ago when I played there were two seasons - football season from 1st Feb - end of Oct and Drinking season Oct - Jan.
Oct to Jan I was never sober. Feb - Oct- I was rarely boozing when out.
still a big regret of mine was to start drink in the first place.

I dont think things have changed much really. just the problems in society that reflect on players- bad manners, expect thigs to be handed to them, poor attitude, poorer committment etc etc
I feel these are more widespread than before.

BEASTY

Quote from: thewobbler on January 17, 2013, 10:16:07 PM
If you take any group of 30 Irish fellas aged between 16-35, there will be a decent quantity who are fond of the sauce, and a handful who are overly fond of the sauce. As there's always 30-odd players at a GAA club, opining that there's a drink problem in GAA circles is downright lazy thinking. I hate lazy thinking. Dr Rowe is a lazy thinker.

Is this rhyming slang?

theskull1

Young lads seems to be more into the halfuns and shots these days. Bound to be worse on the ould  system than beer.

Bingeing is a much bigger phenomenon id say ........and this in a bloody recession
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera