Previous topic - Next topic

Messi or Ronaldo - Who's best

Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo

J70

Quote from: Franko on May 02, 2019, 03:52:10 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on May 02, 2019, 01:02:40 PM
Quote from: Sonny Joe on May 02, 2019, 12:38:46 PM
Messi hasn't and never will ever lead his country to a world cup. Maradona won the thing for the other ten players in the greatest stage of all.

They scored 3 in the 86 final and he didn't score, is that single handedly winning a WC?

I see what you did there  ;)

;D

screenexile

Can't we just enjoy the fact that we are living in an age with the 2 best footballers of all time??

PS. Messi is the GOAT

Angelo

The Brazilian Ronaldo is the greatest player of all time and he terrified a generation of the best defenders of all time. Messi has by and large played in a weaker era and failed with Argentina.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

mrdeeds

Quote from: Angelo on May 02, 2019, 04:24:24 PM
The Brazilian Ronaldo is the greatest player of all time and he terrified a generation of the best defenders of all time. Messi has by and large played in a weaker era and failed with Argentina.

Messi didn't fail with Argentina. The Argentian FA failed putting headers in charge of team and then Higuain couldn't finish his dinner.

nrico2006

Messi average enough for Argentina yet look at his international record and he was one game away from winning the world cup. Top level european footballl is a higher standard than international football and he has been untouchable there.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mike Tyson

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 02, 2019, 05:37:53 PM
Messi average enough for Argentina yet look at his international record and he was one game away from winning the world cup. Top level european footballl is a higher standard than international football and he has been untouchable there.

I'd agree with this and for me that's why I'd have Ronaldo edging it. Consistently performed against the big teams year on year and when he's needed has come up with the goods. His scoring record in the knock out stages is just outrageous.

Angelo

Bullshit. The World Cup is the biggest stage there is in football. You make do with what you have, you don't have a manager come in and decide to build a team around you and buy superstars who align with your needs.

Messi's stats in the knockout stage of the World Cup are pathetic, is it a goal and a couple of assists in over 1000 minutes of football in the knockout stages? When Argentina made the final in 2014, they did so by being miserly at the back, it was guys like Di Maria and Mascherano who were the star men along the way. Compare his scoring stats with Barca in the latter stages of European football and his scoring stats with Argentina in the latter stages of international football. Its like two different players. Messi relies on his teammates much more than true greats like Maradona or the Brazilian Ronaldo.

You take him out of his ideal setup and he's half the player. R9 (Brazilian one) succeeded and adapted to what was around him. His two knees went go mush before the 2002 WC and after 2 years out of the game he carried his country to a WC triumph. That is the true mark of greatness, it is why international football is the true benchmark of greatness.

Angelo

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 02, 2019, 05:12:11 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 02, 2019, 04:24:24 PM

Messi didn't fail with Argentina. The Argentian FA failed putting headers in charge of team and then Higuain couldn't finish his dinner.

The lame excuse is to always blame the manager, Messi was responsible for choosing one FFS. Higuain scored more important goals for Argentina in the latter stages of international football than Messi has.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Mike Tyson on May 02, 2019, 06:19:01 PM

I'd agree with this and for me that's why I'd have Ronaldo edging it. Consistently performed against the big teams year on year and when he's needed has come up with the goods. His scoring record in the knock out stages is just outrageous.

Ronaldo never really done it in a final though. Bale did for Madrid. Injured for Portugal.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: mrdeeds on May 02, 2019, 10:12:39 PM

Ronaldo never really done it in a final though. Bale did for Madrid. Injured for Portugal.

Aye scoring two against Juve probably doesn't count alright.

gallsman

Quote from: Mike Tyson on May 02, 2019, 10:33:01 PM

Not that I'm offering an opinion one way or the other, but that's a strange way to try to counter a suggestion that Ronaldo hasn't done in it finals, given it was a quarter final.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: gallsman on May 02, 2019, 10:36:02 PM

I’d agree with this and for me that’s why I’d have Ronaldo edging it. Consistently performed against the big teams year on year and when he’s needed has come up with the goods. His scoring record in the knock out stages is just outrageous.

Aye scoring two against Juve probably doesn’t count alright.

Not that I'm offering an opinion one way or the other, but that's a strange way to try to counter a suggestion that Ronaldo hasn't done in it finals, given it was a quarter final.

2017 final?

Scored 4 goals in 5 champions league finals.

Edit: 6 finals - forgot about 2009!

gallsman

Quote from: Mike Tyson on May 02, 2019, 10:38:32 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 02, 2019, 10:36:02 PM

2017 final?

Scored 4 goals in 5 champions league finals.

Edit: 6 finals - forgot about 2009!

Well why didn't you say that before bringing up a quarter final against Juve? Would have made far more sense.

The only CL final of his four with Real that he deserves any credit for was 2017 against Juve. In 2014 he was a showboating twat banging in that last minute penalty when the game was long since over and he was anonymous for the entirety of it. 2016 he was brutal and scored the winning penalty. Last year he was brutal and huffed at Bale scoring

Milltown Row2

This is as stupid as, who's better? Iron Man or Superman! Daft
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 02, 2019, 11:43:12 PM
This is as stupid as, who's better? Iron Man or Superman! Daft

It's Superman though!!