Messi or Ronaldo - Who's best

Started by toby47, March 14, 2019, 11:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Messi or Ronaldo - Who's best

Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo

nrico2006

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 01, 2019, 11:33:15 PM
Ah. obviously u at an age where u didn't see the great man in this prime. In an era where defenders could legally be cut u in two from behind. I couldn't see either of the 2 superstars of today take that punishment.

But if they were playing in that era then that would be the norm and something they would deal with like all footballers at that time did.  Maradona was brilliant but Messi can do everything he could but has done it for longer and scored far more goals in the process.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maroon Manc

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 02, 2019, 07:58:01 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 01, 2019, 11:33:15 PM
Ah. obviously u at an age where u didn't see the great man in this prime. In an era where defenders could legally be cut u in two from behind. I couldn't see either of the 2 superstars of today take that punishment.

But if they were playing in that era then that would be the norm and something they would deal with like all footballers at that time did.  Maradona was brilliant but Messi can do everything he could but has done it for longer and scored far more goals in the process.

Would loved to have seen Maradona in this era with all the protection he would have got, he'd have scored a lot more goals although his record for Barca & Napoli is still very impressive.

Just had a quick look and don't think anyone scored more than 20 league goals in Serie A whilst Maradona was in Italy and there was some great centre forwards about like Van Basten, Klinsman & Viali. I

Kidder81

Quote from: Sonny Joe on May 02, 2019, 12:38:46 PM
Messi hasn't and never will ever lead his country to a world cup. Maradona won the thing for the other ten players in the greatest stage of all.

They scored 3 in the 86 final and he didn't score, is that single handedly winning a WC?

nrico2006

Quote from: Kidder81 on May 02, 2019, 01:02:40 PM
Messi hasn't and never will ever lead his country to a world cup. Maradona won the thing for the other ten players in the greatest stage of all.

They scored 3 in the 86 final and he didn't score, is that single handedly winning a WC?

Plus look at the honours list for each player.  Messi has won more European Cups than Maradona won leagues.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Boycey

Has anyone convinced anyone else to change their minds on one of these threads 

Maradona for me and no amount of facts or stats will ever change that  8)

mouview

As said, last night wasn't anywhere near Messi's best game, yet he was still the talking point after it. Watching it, I had a questioning moment of clarity, is he better than Pele? Which suddenly meant to me that both were/are better than Maradona.

The case for Maradona is that he played in an era when attackers got much less protection from refs, he guided unfashionable Napoli to 2 unheard-of league titles and he inspired Argentina to the 1986 World Cup, (basically by scoring brilliant goals v England, who they probably would have beaten anyway, and Belgium, and laid on a sublime pass for Valdano's winner in the final). The case against is that he sniffed his talent away and, outside his Napoli stint, had a largely underwhelming club career. (BTW, watch out for the Senna-esque film on his life later this year.)

Messi has had an astonishing club career, scoring now 600 club goals, so many hattricks, so many of them brilliant. He has illuminated the Champions League season after season, like last night, providing the focal analysis once again after a match. No, he hasn't inspired his country as Maradona has; however, if Pekerman wasn't so defensive in 2006, and played him against Germany in the 1/4s, they would surely have won that tournament, being by far the best team there. So for me, no question, Messi light years ahead of Diego.

J70

Have you seen the move and pass he executed for the winning goal in that final? The solo goals against England and Belgium? He had six goals and five assists in the tournament, all while being man-marked and targeted by the opposition, back in the days when they really could physically intimidate and abuse. He was head and shoulders the best player in the tournament, amidst a team not exactly flush with noted players. I think you'd be very hard-pushed to name another world cup so dominated and defined by a single player.

trailer

Messi not even top 3 for me. Has it handy in a team of superstars.

Maradonna
Ronaldo
Fat Ronaldo

Taylor

Quote from: J70 on May 02, 2019, 01:40:54 PM

Have you seen the move and pass he executed for the winning goal in that final? The solo goals against England and Belgium? He had six goals and five assists in the tournament, all while being man-marked and targeted by the opposition, back in the days when they really could physically intimidate and abuse. He was head and shoulders the best player in the tournament, amidst a team not exactly flush with noted players. I think you'd be very hard-pushed to name another world cup so dominated and defined by a single player.

+1

Esmarelda

Quote from: trailer on May 02, 2019, 01:44:31 PM

Maradonna
Ronaldo
Fat Ronaldo
How controversial. I don't believe you.

JoG2

Quote from: Esmarelda on May 02, 2019, 02:14:13 PM

Maradonna
Ronaldo
Fat Ronaldo

Di you have to quote that clampit??  ;D

Messi shades it for. Has been relentless for years up against the best defences money can buy. Elite European club football is where its at and he's top of the pile, and has been consistently for years

Messi
Pele / Maradonna
Ronaldo
McCourt

trailer

Maradonna
Ronaldo
Fat Ronaldo

Just go back and watch fat Ronaldo. He was unreal. Did it at the very top in multiple leagues with different teams and of course for his country. He was different gravy.
The fact Messi has only played for Barca I think is to his detriment. The only other side he's played for is Argentina and he has been average enough. Not for me.

Esmarelda

Quote from: trailer on May 02, 2019, 02:23:46 PM

Maradonna
Ronaldo
Fat Ronaldo

Just go back and watch fat Ronaldo. He was unreal. Did it at the very top in multiple leagues with different teams and of course for his country. He was different gravy.
The fact Messi has only played for Barca I think is to his detriment. The only other side he's played for is Argentina and he has been average enough. Not for me.
I remember Ronaldo from Brazil very well. Used to love watching him play, so much so that I can resist referring to him as fat.

Bad injuries curtailed him though and despite his brilliance I can't see how anyone could actually consider him to be better than Messi.

toby47

Fat Ronaldo shouldn't even come into this debate.

Franko

I see what you did there  ;)