Rule about handpassed point?

Started by blanketattack, August 15, 2007, 11:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

First of all I thought that your incinuation was ludicrous seanie but having checked the rules it is in fact true... I'm gobsmacked as I was convinced there was no difference between an open hand handpass and a fist pass. Obviously there is!!!

I would put my house on the fact that if you tested all the referees in the country at least 85% wouldn't know this rule!!!

DUBSFORSAM1

To be honest there should be no open handed passes - they should all be close fisted passes...

didlyi

The fisted score, goal or point, unless without being caught should be done away with completely. It requires no skill whatsoever and is usually an anticlimax when a player is bearing down on goal and opts to punch it over. Football remember!

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: didlyi on August 15, 2007, 06:13:45 PM
The fisted score, goal or point, unless without being caught should be done away with completely. It requires no skill whatsoever and is usually an anticlimax when a player is bearing down on goal and opts to punch it over. Football remember!

that is absurd, you must never have bore down on goal in your life.
it happens all the time where defenders have an easy chance to block the kick as they have swarmed around the attacker in front of goal but they cant block the punch from going over the bar. this requires quick thinking and awareness NOT to use the foot and fist a point instead

didlyi

Rubbish! What is this game. Football or handball. Your saying that to make it easy for everyone we let them fist the ball over the bar. Its a cop out and I bet Ive bore down on goal more often than you.

ardal

Quote from: didlyi on August 16, 2007, 04:59:31 PM
Rubbish! What is this game. Football or handball. Your saying that to make it easy for everyone we let them fist the ball over the bar. Its a cop out and I bet Ive bore down on goal more often than you.

Touché. The basis of you argument appears to be "is it handball or football?" Then perhaps we should do away with players being able to catch, or even touch, the ball with their hands. Sure why don't we reduce the sides to 11 to make it more interesting, ah feck, why allow points at all.

Leo

Ardal, yours is the argument of the GAA flat-earther.
Try watching the seriously over-hyped Dublin Kerry games of the late 70's or any Donegal team or (sadly) any recent Sigerson team. Puke handball it is.
Their devotion to the handpass makes a mockery of the term Gaelic football, the very essence of which is catch and kick. Those basic elements have been refined doen the years, often to good effect, but not all cahnges rae beneficial and the constant handpassing coupled with high levels of fitness have resulted in outdoor basketball which is unwatchable and which invites the constant fouling and dragging that has been a feature of the game for too long.
If you cannot recognise where the basic elements of good gaelic football are then maybe the 11-a-side game is for you after all.Anyway is anyone capable of making sense out of why a fisted point is allowed but not a goal - as I said before I think neither should be part of the game and I agree with previous posts that it is a cop out.
While I;'m at it I would limit the handpass to 3 consecutive passes. The rule would be hard to enfoorce at the start but eventually the over-passing would be caoched out of the game.
Fierce tame altogether

GalwayBayBoy

I'm not a big fan of the fisted point myself and it's getting more and more common. Most times now when a player is bearing down on goal from an angle you can nearly be sure that he's going to try and fist it over rather than kick it over or even shoot for goal.

didlyi

Thank You Leo. They got rid of the fisted goal way back because it was too damn easy to score a goal in this fashion. Once the forward had rounded the defence he was in for a very soft goal and it happened many many times in the 70's. The fisted point is even easier but its only worth one point so they let it be.

Croí na hÉireann

I see that Dara O'Cinneide is another lurker on here or was it just coincidence that he highlighted the illegal handpass for a point on the SG??? Me thinks not, who else is out there boys???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

lynchbhoy

I wish Eoin Bradley had the presence of mind to remember he was allowed fist the ball over the bar in Derry's last game.
It takes a thinking mind to be able to take a point with a fist over the bar, as all too often you see great work leading up to the final player in on goal, the keeper and two defenders blocking his way and the daft hoor goes for a goal anyway ?
Its another skill involved in Gaelic football. I think it is fine the way it is, maybe allowing the 'open hand' pass over the bar as well for a score.

What made me laugh last night was a young u17 lad in training said to me that he thought it would be great if you could handpass the ball into the net !
He genuinely did not know this was allowed 27 or so years ago !
Oh the innocence! ;D

ExiledGael

Can't believe some people are calling for the fisted point to be done away with, Breheny today in the Indo also makes that call.
Ridiculous, the last thing we need to do for the game is reduce the number of possible ways to score.
Numerous times this year I've seen players surrounded approaching goal where a kick is impossible and they've fisted over a point, always a sign of a clever composed player and something I would encourage players to do if surrounded.

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: Leo on August 17, 2007, 01:49:29 PM
Ardal, yours is the argument of the GAA flat-earther.
Try watching the seriously over-hyped Dublin Kerry games of the late 70's or any Donegal team or (sadly) any recent Sigerson team. Puke handball it is.
Their devotion to the handpass makes a mockery of the term Gaelic football, the very essence of which is catch and kick. Those basic elements have been refined doen the years, often to good effect, but not all cahnges rae beneficial and the constant handpassing coupled with high levels of fitness have resulted in outdoor basketball which is unwatchable and which invites the constant fouling and dragging that has been a feature of the game for too long.
If you cannot recognise where the basic elements of good gaelic football are then maybe the 11-a-side game is for you after all.Anyway is anyone capable of making sense out of why a fisted point is allowed but not a goal - as I said before I think neither should be part of the game and I agree with previous posts that it is a cop out.
While I;'m at it I would limit the handpass to 3 consecutive passes. The rule would be hard to enfoorce at the start but eventually the over-passing would be caoched out of the game.
i agree with the idea of the 3 consecutive handpasses. i do not like the basketball that goes on out field but i do believe the fisted point is a skill in itself.
the rule for the closed fist should just be got rid of anyway as no coach,player or ref adheres to it and its only time before one ref with an agenda decides to act on it and the whole issue of inconsistency will arise again

Armagh4SamAgain

The fisted point sould be baned.It gives the keeper no chance at all. Its baned in hurley.
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

David McKeown

We had two strange incidents in club games earlier this year involving fisted scores one for us and one against us.  The one against us occurred when one of our defenders caught a ball that came off the post.  As soon as he had caught it, one of the opposing team put in a perfect tackle on the ball and it ended up in the net.  Goal allowed.  The second one then was something similar, one of our forwards tackled the ball out of the keepers hands and it went straight over the bar.  Should both scores have been allowed?  I definitely thought the point shouldn't have been but wasn't as sure about the goal.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner