Rule about handpassed point?

Started by blanketattack, August 15, 2007, 11:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

While an open handed handpass is fine for passing, I thought for a point it had to be with a closed fist. Does anyone know if this is the case?
Masters and Woods have used an open hand to handpass the ball over the bar in their most recent games.

magpie seanie

According to the rules it has to be a closed fist for a point. Open hand not allowed.

qub la la la

sounds like a stupid rule. there is not a whole pile of difference. and at match speed it would be very difficult for officials to notice closed or open fist when making a hand pass whether it is to another player or over the bar.

ONeill

What about Geraghty's goal then? Has Fergal Logan a case?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Star Spangler

Unfortunately O'Neill Geraghty didn't hand pass the ball but stroke it which isn't the same thing.  Having said that, it was quite a girly looking strike though and perhaps that may give grounds for appeal.  :P

magpie seanie

QuoteWhat about Geraghty's goal then? Has Fergal Logan a case?

I know you are only messing but for those who don't know its different if ball is "in flight". Open hand(s) can be used then for goal or point.

Hardy

It's happening all the time, though. I suppose we'll have to wait for Westmeath to get beaten by a palmed point to have it tested in the courts.

orangeman

A handpass is a handpass is a handpass is a handpass ..................

Jinxy

The handpassed point should only be allowed if the player is within the confines of the large rectangle. Nothing screams "I can't kick the ball properly" like someone running through and fisting the ball over from 30 yards out a la Collie Moran against Laois. Requires zero skill/ability.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Leo

When the ball is in flight any hand assisted score will count. Apart from that instance, why should points be allowed by the hand and not goals? Usually the fisted or hand-scored point by a player in possession is a cop out. If McGarty hadnt this option in 2002 Armagh would not have won an All-Ireland as a Sligo goal at that point (and it was point blank) would have ended Armagh at Croke Park. There have been plenty of other instances recently. This game is called football - let's make the scores live up to that name and do away with the hand scores altogether (except, as stated, from balls in flight).
Fierce tame altogether

Denn Forever

Fisted point ok, fisted goal NOT.  Do we want to go back to the 70's with all those hand passed goals (scored by Dublin and Kerry - don't start an arguement) spoiled things.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

his holiness nb

Quote from: Jinxy on August 15, 2007, 01:12:58 PM
The handpassed point should only be allowed if the player is within the confines of the large rectangle. Nothing screams "I can't kick the ball properly" like someone running through and fisting the ball over from 30 yards out a la Collie Moran against Laois. Requires zero skill/ability.

Jaysus Jinx, I'd prefer my chances kicking from 30 yards than fist passing over  :-\
Ask me holy bollix

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Hardy on August 15, 2007, 01:02:06 PM
It's happening all the time, though. I suppose we'll have to wait for Westmeath to get beaten by a palmed point to have it tested in the courts.

Dangle, dangle, anyone???

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 15, 2007, 01:53:47 PM

Jaysus Jinx, I'd prefer my chances kicking from 30 yards than fist passing over  :-\

Tell me about it, missed one from 15 yards last night in training...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

Quote from: his holiness nb on August 15, 2007, 01:53:47 PM

I know lads who can fist the ball almost as far as they can kick it. Out of necessity really, as they couldn't hit the side of their house with a foot pass.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteI suppose we'll have to wait for Westmeath to get beaten by a palmed point to have it tested in the courts.

:D :D :D :D :D