Uibh Fhaile Vs Iarmhí

Started by Croí na hÉireann, May 22, 2008, 01:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Might as well get this one started, even though there's two plus weeks to go. Injuries seem to be clearing up on the Westmeath end which is good to see, hopefully everyone gets through the Championship weekend ahead.

Will only be a kick of the ball in this due to the fact it's in Tullamore and the feel good factor in Biffoland at present. Drove through Tullamore on my way to the Longford game and you'd swear it was the third Monday in September 1982 with the amount of flags and bunting around the place. That coupled with the fact that Offaly are coming good now as witnessed by them putting Derry to the sword recently and our poor display against the Slashers gives real cause for concern. Gary's wedding being on de day of the match won't help matters either but hopefully we'll be focussed, put in a much better performance than the last day and scrape a win. The team I'd select if all fit would be:

Conaughton
Boyle Gavin Keane
Nachie Heavin Heals
     Duffy Flanagan
Willo Smyth O'Donoghue
Budda Dennis Dessie

Duffy boost for Westmeath
22 May 2008

Westmeath are set to welcome back David Duffy for their Leinster SFC quarter-final clash with Offaly on June 7 after he made his return from injury in a club game last weekend.

The rising midfield star played his first game since damaging ankle ligaments in the NFL win over Monaghan last month when he lined out for Shandonagh in their intermediate championship victory over Milltownpass at St. Loman's last Sunday.

Duffy, who missed the NFL Division 2 final against Dublin and the Leinster SFC first round meeting with Longford, came through the game
unscathed and looks set to renew his midfield partnership with Martin Flanagan against the Faithful County with Donal O'Donoghue likely to return to the half forward line where he featured for much of the league.

Meanwhile, Dessie Dolan, who made a surprise appearance against Longford after a hamstring injury lay-off, will get further match practice under his belt when he lines out for Garrycastle against Bunbrosna in Saturday's senior championship clash.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

I think I'll hold my fire on this thread until next week, and concentrate on Laois first. What I will say is that Westmeath have to be favourites, with a good league campaign, a championship match behind them, and a good midfield which should give them a big advantage.

However, we are waiting in the long grass, and the noises coming out of the camp at the moment are encouraging, but we never know what Offaly will be like until the ball is thrown in, especially in the first game of the year.

One thing, I think, is for certain. Offaly will have to spoil midfield, and win loads of breaks. Then we have to deliver the ball quickly, and accurately, into the inside men, and not arse around with it, allowing Westmeath to get set defensively, and dispossess us. If we start soloing, or over handpassing, in the middle third, we are doomed.

By the way, Tullamore will have nothing to do with it I feel. Westmeath like playing there, at all levels, and have won some big games in Tullamore. As for Cowen being a catalyst, come off it. You'll have to do better than that to talk us up :D

Croí na hÉireann

If the match was in Croker and Bertie was still stuttering his way around the country I would agree with us being favourites. However it's not in Croker, Tullamore hasn't been kind to us in recent years and there's a great buzz around Offaly at present, know loads of lads who've headed home to Birr, Clara, Tullamore and de likes for the "homecoming" and I think there'll be a big local crowd waiting for us in O'Connor Park, all these factors can contribute and I think we have to be very wary. Not trying to talk any team up, genuinely believe this game is on a knife edge...

AZOffaly

I believe it will be close too, but not for the reasons you suggest :D

bennydorano

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2008, 01:52:59 PM
However, we are waiting in the long grass, and the noises coming out of the camp at the moment are encouraging, but we never know what Offaly will be like until the ball is thrown in, especially in the first game of the year.

I was reading in our local Ulster Gazette that Offaly recently beat a full strength Derry side  2-12 to 0-14(or close to that).   Are yis playing the Micko card or wha?

AZOffaly

It wasn't a full strength Derry side. They only had 4 starters, and maybe 3 subs that came on, that will feature against Donegal.

We did have a good win over Mayo as well recently, but challenges are challenges.

Croí na hÉireann

Report on the Derry Offaly game http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=18.msg294867#msg294867

Quote from: fer fox ache on May 19, 2008, 04:24:31 PM
AZ here's the teams ans scorers. Derry were well below strength only McGuckin, McEldowney, Bradley and Gilligan started the league final. No one in the half-backs, midfield or half-forwards started against Kerry. Having said that ye looked very sharp Niall McNamee got 1-6 from play, okay he was given plenty of room but still. From the way your management were going on you could tell they were taking it seriously. Ye'll give Westmeath their fill of it

Derry: John Deighan; Kevin McGuckin, Kevin McCloy, Francis McEldowney; Paul Cartin, Michael McGoldrick, Joe Keenan; James Conway, Patsy Bradley; Ryan McElhone, Paul Murphy (0-3), Enda Lynn; Collie Devlin (0-1, free), Paddy Bradley (0-4, two frees, sideline), Conleith Gilligan (0-4, 45, two frees)

Subs: Michael McIver (0-1) for Keenan, Michael McBride for McGoldrick, Ryan Dillon for McGuckin, Enda Muldoon for Murphy, Raymond Wilkinson for Lynn, Fergal Doherty (0-1) for Patsy Bradley, Mark Craig for McEldowney, Rian Kealey for McElhone

Offaly: Padhraic Kelly; Ger Rafferty, Shane Sullivan, Brian Darby (0-1); Paul McConway, Scott Brady, Nigel Grehan (0-1); Alan McNamee, Alan Smith (0-1); Ciaran McManus (0-1), Pascal Keelaghan (1-0), Karl Slattery; Thomas Deehan (0-1), James Keane, Niall McNamee (1-9, three frees)

Subs: Willie Mulhall for Deehan, Niall Darby for Sullivan. Blood sub: Gerry Grehan for Brady.

AZOffaly

I know Croí, if you read it, it's addressed to me. I was trying to do some discreet snooping away from the main board where ye might see it :D

Croí na hÉireann

Realise that, was throwing it up there for benny and any other interested souls who might be dropping in. Now do u have any links for the Mayo game or do I have to go and do some snooping myself???  ;)

AZOffaly

I think the Mayo thread had a few mentions. Maybe. I can't remember ;)

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2008, 03:22:54 PM
I think the Mayo thread had a few mentions. Maybe. I can't remember ;)

There goes de rest of de afternoon so...

Edit: Arragh not even a full line up, only this to be found http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=7581.msg293080#msg293080

Quote from: the Deel Rover on May 16, 2008, 11:32:08 AM
i  was told from midfield up was Mc Garritty, Parsons, Pat Harte, Alan Dillon, Aidan Kilcoyne, Conor Mort, Austie o' Malley and Moran  he didn't tell me the backs  :( 

AN other

Dolan has apparently played a full game for Garrycastle and Duffy one for Shandonagh in recent club championship games so hopefully everybody will be fully fit for the weekend.
According to Hoganstand Healy picked up a knock for Salthill but it doesn't threaten his participation next Saturday.
Offaly seem to be coming into good form at the right time beating Derry and Mayo recently. I think the slight expectation on the Westmeath team following the good league is a bit of a handicap at the moment, there was a fair bit of caginess against Longford and I am expecting something similar against Offaly. I think this could go either way, it wouldn't surprise me if either team were bet by 4 points or more.
Apart from the fact that I won't be able to record the whole match for later viewing the non-showing of the game live could work out well in that more people might make the short trip to Tullamore, a packed O'Connor park with a bit more nice weather would be great.

GAA_Punter

They will surly stream the match on the internet on rte live

AZOffaly

I'm hearing rumblings from home that this game could be a 2.30 throw in now. Any word on this?

AN other

Haven't heard anything on this but I hope it's not going to be that early. If the weather continues good the heat at that time of the day wouldn't help anybody's cause, although it's pretty probable that it'll be pissing rain come the weekend anyway...
Changing the time also wouldn't be fair to fans who have bought tickets based on the evening throw in who might have plans/commitments elsewhere earlier in the day and may not be able to make it. It wouldn't surprise me though if it was changed.