Westmeath Vs Kildare

Started by Croí na hÉireann, March 30, 2007, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Three changes for Westmeath

Westmeath manager Tomas O Flatharta has drafted three under 21 players into his side for Sunday's crunch NFL Division 1B meeting with Kildare at Mullingar.

Mullingar Shamrocks' Kieran Gavin replaces Alan Rigney at wing back, David Duffy takes over from John Smyth at wing forward, while John Connellan comes in for fellow Athlone clubman Paul Bannon in the full forward line.

Both Gavin and Connellan are just out of the minor ranks and were introduced during the second half of last Sunday's defeat to Galway.

Westmeath (SF v Kildare): G Connaughton; F Boyle, M Ennis, J Keane; K Gavin, D O'Donoghue, D Heavin; M Flanagan, D O'Shaughnessy; F Wilson, D Dolan, D Duffy; A Mangan, J Connellan, D Glennon.

Thank fcuk Smyth isn't starting is the first reaction, will be interesting to see how Duffy gets on at half forward. He hasn't impressed at any level this year, wheras last year he looked very promising. Needs to win the ball coming in and lay quick ball off to one of the other five forwards. Don't think Connellan will remain on the edge of the square, would expect to see him in one of the corners. Rigney is unlucky to lose out, didn't do too much wrong the last day but there's really only one spot in the backs up for grabs and only fair I suppose to give Gavin a starting chance to claim it. I know Budda was sick the last day but we need him, Glennon and Willo to start getting into the game, all three were brutal the last day.

Must win game for Westmeath, Flan and Shaugho have to at least match their efforts in the middle the last day and John Doyle mustn't be given a sniff, sweeper put in front of him if necessary.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

Can't see Kildare making any changes, team should be

E Murphy; E Callaghan, D Lyons, A McLoughlin; A Rainbow, M Hogarty, E Bolton; K Brennan, K O'Neill; J Kavanagh, J Doyle, K Donnelly; T Fennin J Phillips, P O'Neill.

Confidence is high in the camp, I think the moving on of Glen Ryan has lifted a shadow off these players and they're taking their opportunites, with Flynn, Galvin, Sweeney and Earey to come back things are looking very positive.

Kildare will bring a big support to Mullingar, a mighty bandwagon we have, and I think we might win this game but it will be close. Will be interesting to see if Dessie and Rainbow exchange hello's.....
#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 30, 2007, 02:52:40 PMWill be interesting to see if Dessie and Rainbow exchange hello's.....

I'm sure Mr. Rainbow will be afforded a very affiable welcome by the locals   ;)

Romeo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 30, 2007, 04:06:42 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 30, 2007, 02:52:40 PMWill be interesting to see if Dessie and Rainbow exchange hello's.....

I'm sure Mr. Rainbow will be afforded a very affiable welcome by the locals   ;)

Remember that one alright and the stupid f*cker beside me accusing Dessie of diving! He eventually came out with the classic 'He wasn't even touched.......... I'd say!' let him have it after that! Then there was an even more classic from one of his fellow Lillies 'will u shut up, the fella could be hurted!', in heavy Kildare accent, v. funny!

Captain Scarlet

ah yes romeo we have special people who shout for kildare.
i nearly dread goin to some league matches to be honest the poo ya have to listen to.

glen ryan will always cast a shadow over kildare until they find a proper replacement. hogarty is a good player but not at 6.
id still try glavin there as he played what was in essence a centre half backs role for moorefield all year and he seems to have matured alot as a player. and i woudlnt be his biggest fan

id say flangan will get moved into the edge of the box as the game moves on. jesus he is still pure class, even with dodgy ankles!
to be honest if he moves into FF at any stage he will clean up.

should be a good match and for what its worth rainbow desrves any hostile reception, that was terrible that day.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Romeo

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on March 30, 2007, 07:42:54 PM
ah yes romeo we have special people who shout for kildare.
i nearly dread goin to some league matches to be honest the poo ya have to listen to.

glen ryan will always cast a shadow over kildare until they find a proper replacement. hogarty is a good player but not at 6.
id still try glavin there as he played what was in essence a centre half backs role for moorefield all year and he seems to have matured alot as a player. and i woudlnt be his biggest fan

id say flangan will get moved into the edge of the box as the game moves on. jesus he is still pure class, even with dodgy ankles!
to be honest if he moves into FF at any stage he will clean up.

should be a good match and for what its worth rainbow desrves any hostile reception, that was terrible that day.

Is the guy named at midfield (O'Neil), Moorfield's fullback? He looked very good in the club champo against Crokes.

cill_dara

Westmeath 0-08 Kildare 0-09

A last gasp free from John Doyle was the difference between Kildare and Westmeath at Cusack Park on Sunday afternoon.

Dangerous Doyle, as he is known by the Lilywhites support, slotted over an injury time free to give his side a one point victory over their Leinster neighbours.

It was a cagey start to this game with Kildare just about staying in front, before they hit a barrage of points in a short space of time to widen the margin.

Westmeath fought their way back into it though, and it looked as if they had done enough to earn a draw as the clock clicked into its final seconds.

But an untidy challenge gave Kildare a free in injury time, which Doyle executed with precision to give the travelling fans something to sing about.

Ah god bein a Kildare fan isnt good for the heart I tell ye, played some lovely stuff in the first half should of been further ahead, two glorious goal chances too.
Then second half the game turned and westmeath really should of won it but we got out of jail, seems to be luck on our side this year.
No a hope of us winning that game last year! So Now it sets up a very tasty Winner takes all game against the laois boys.
Interesting game ahead!

Dinny Breen

QuoteDangerous Doyle, as he is known by the Lilywhites support

Have never heard that, do reporters just make these things up?  ::)

Have to agree CD, this is definitely a game we would have lost over the last 3 years, nice to secure Division 1 status and I think we'll be in fine fettle for the Meath  game, seem to be developing a settled team as well..
#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

Same story for Westmeath, no forwards. Backs were well on top and Nachie had Doyle in his pocket all afternoon. When Healy comes back he'll only strengthen our options there. Forwards a huge disappointment. Duffy will never make a full forward, should only be used as a back up for Flan and Shaugho in midfield. Time to decide where to play Dessie, was too much chopping and changing yesterday. Budda was flying in the corner and putting points over from everywhere but then he got no more ball. Wilson disappointed again and for all Connellans heart he was just outmuscled. Hopefully he'll bulk up in the next couple of years. None of the subs impressed.

Armagh away next, need to put out our championship 15 in their right positions and take the game to them. If nothing else the game will be good preparation for the visit to the Slashers in May.